mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Steerer tube length on Blur Classic

I have a '03 Santa Cruz Blur Classic. I am looking at a used 2010 Fox 32 Talas Fit RLC Fork 140-120-100mm Lock out. The steerer tube length is 7.13 inches. I'm not sure if the steerer tubes are cut to fit when you order them brand new. I appreciate any help. If you need anymore info I'll do my best. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    New forks come with long steer tubes and are almost always cut. When buying a used fork it is up to you to make sure the steer tube is long enough for your bike. If you have a fork on the bike now you can just measure your existing set-up (top of crown up to the top of your stem, plus a few mm for good measure). If it's less than 7.13 inches, you're good to go. If there is no fork on the bike now, you need to measure the frame head tube, your stem, and the stack height of your headset (or find those specs online somewhere), and then factor in any stem spacers you want. You definitely don't want a fork that is too short to get proper stem clamping or stem height.

On the other hand, it's ok if the new (used) fork is longer than you need. You can either run an extra spacer or two on top of your stem or cut it down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I currently don't have a fork. Thanks for the info. I will get all measurements to ensure it fits.