mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Steer tube length

I have a line on a used talas but the steer tube has been cut to 6.7 inches. The heckler its going on has a head tube length of 4.7 inches.

Will 2 inches of extra tube be enough?

This is my first real build and I want to make sure everything is correct before I buy.

mtbr member
    Headsets (both top and bottom) should list stack height. So should stems. The steerer needs to be as long as bottom hs stack + head tube + upper has stack + stem + desired spacers. Off hand it sounds like it will be close at best. If you list your headset and stem combo I'm sure someone can look stuff up for you.

I tend to not touch forks with less than 200mm/8in steerers, but I ride large/XL frames. Fox does not replace steerers. Marzocchi used to although I don't know if they do now. So you'd be talking about a new CSU for a Talas and those are expensive.

I will also plug Cane Creek for headsets. All of the needed info is listed on their site and their stuff has been very solid on my last two bikes.

My TRc has a CC110 headset EC lower and ZS upper with a Thomson stem and I need a min of 2.4 inches after subtracting my head tube. I think you'd be cutting it very close even with a ZS lower (assuming you can run one) and you would leave no room for spacers. I would look for a bit longer steerer.
    Last edited by robsetsfire; 11-21-2012 at 02:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Technically, you need slightly less than what I listed. But it's only a few mms in order to pre load the headset. Generally a 5mm spacer on top of the stem is more than enough.

The Heckler is 1 1/8 head tube, right? That means external cups only. More stack height unfortunately. Also, watch out for tapered steerer forks. Can't run them on 1 1/8 head tubes.
    Last edited by robsetsfire; 11-21-2012 at 02:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the info.