Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spring rate for DHX coil on Nomad

982 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  skuehnen 
#1 ·
:) My long (nearly five months) awaited Nomad frame with DHX coil has arrived at my LBS! :)

When talking to my dealer which is not really a LBS but not too far away, he told me, SC delivered the shock with a coil which has a spring rate of 800lbs/inch. :eek: Since i weight 210, i am aware that there has to be a strong coil to withstand my weight. SC does list air pressure rates, but no spring rates on their site.

After using the spring rate calculator here, i was quite sure that i had the wrong spring. So i called the importer (i live in Germany) and he told me, that the spring rate was indeed wrong and the dealer should return the spring for exchange. I discussed the rate with the importer and we decided a 450lbs/inch spring would fit best.

Later in the day i used serveral spring rate calculators floating around in the net and now i'm quite unsure, if the rate we chosed is correct. The majority of the calculators told me to use a spring with 500lbs/inch. I don't want to have another incorrect spring delivered, since this time i will have to pay the bill. :(

#2 ·
Didn't you get a small set-up guide booklet with your bike? The set-up for a Nomad with a DHX coil for a 240lb. rider is only a 600lb. item. It shows a 550lb. spring being suitable for riders in the 200-220lb. range. Just about all SC frames I've seen come with this set-up guide, and the guide shows all SC models. It shows a Nomad using either a Float R, DHX-Air, DHX coil, or 5th E Gravity air shock. The set-up guide also shows every other available shock setting such as rebound, air pressure, etc. I was somewhat shocked...he, he...to find the recommended settings for my DHX-Air to be nearly spot-on.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response, TNC

No, i don't have the bike here, because the bike is still standing at my dealer. I phoned the importer once again and he told me, that they sent a 500lb. spring to the dealer. I will try that out and if it's to soft or to firm, i will bang the importer to change it over again. The price for the frame costs 1950$ in the US and has a MSRP of 2800 EUR here in Germany (3,356.54 USD). They could do a little work for that, don't they?

#4 ·
skuehnen said:
Thanks for your response, TNC

No, i don't have the bike here, because the bike is still standing at my dealer. I phoned the importer once again and he told me, that they sent a 500lb. spring to the dealer. I will try that out and if it's to soft or to firm, i will bang the importer to change it over again. The price for the frame costs 1950$ in the US and has a MSRP of 2800 EUR here in Germany (3,356.54 USD). They could do a little work for that, don't they?
WOW, not only could they do a little work, I mean, why the heck did you buy it from them instead of ordering from a US internet store? That's an insane price. I'm from Canada and whenever Canadian stores/distributor are charging stupid prices like that then I order direct from the US via the internet.

#5 ·
Santa Cruz has stopped all internet shops from shipping frames to foreign countries. When you look at the page of Speedgoat, you see a sentence lile "Sorry, No Santa Cruz products can be shipped outside of the United States" at the bottom of the text. The price is a sum of several extra costs, which one has to pay, when he does not try to break the law. There are costs for the transport, taxes and customs duty. Second, there is no warrenty by the importer for self imported frames and the rates for transport back to the states in case of warrenty repair or replacement don't make it cost-effective to send the frame back.

On the other hand, i didn't pay the MSRP, i payed only 100 EUR more than i would have to pay, when importing the frame myself (2240 EUR = 2673.044 USD) and thats cheap. :)

#6 ·
TNC said:
It shows a 550lb. spring being suitable for riders in the 200-220lb. range.
Since i want do go for the maiden ride tomorrow i have set up the DHX today. The 500lbs. spring needed 2 1/2 turns to have 16mm sag (measured at the shock). :(

I think for trail riding, the spring will be ok, but if it goes to hucking in the bike park i will need a firmer one. We'll see. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.