Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Spotted in Whistler... a new 650B Nomad

I saw the SC guys testing it in the bike park this week. I asked one of them about it and they said it was a Bronson, but let's just say he had a bad poker face! Besides, I own a Bronson so I know what one looks like.....

Essentially it looked like a slightly thicker Bronson and appeared to have 650B wheels which would fit with him trying to tell me it was a Bronson. The rear triangle was the same design as a current Nomad and they both had linkages un-polished and straight out of a machine shop. The frames on the other hand looked far more finished. Painted white with full Santa Cruz decals on the side. There was internal routing for a rear derailleur not just the seat post as on the Bronson. I'd imagine also for the rear brake but I can't quite remember.

Overall it looked just like what you would expect if you melded a Bronson with a current Nomad.

I guess there's no way of telling if it will go into production, and I'm sure nobody is surprised they are testing it..... My only thought was that if they didn't want people to talk to them about it or see it, then why paint it bright white with Santa Cruz on it. Why not spray it like a Bronson. Also you would imagine that geometry testing for such a machine would be done with an aluminum frame but this was Carbon. If I were a betting man I'd have to say spring '14 release for this. Also the decals were new, not taken from existing bikes. Instead of a solid colored text the it was multicolored with what seemed to be a kind of galaxy/space design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds like the bike I saw back in September, definitely looked like a tweener nomad.... they said the same thing to me "its a bronson"

Makes you wonder about travel and angles though, seems like the bronson has the enduro thing pretty dialed, maybe 170mm of travel and super slack???

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was wondering the same thing when I looked at it. Especially since I'm riding a Bronson right now I really thought what more could I want? If it was longer travel it would only make sense for it to be way slacker. But they certainly weren't testing longer travel up front as they had 34s on it not even 36s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I bet we see a Nomad and a V-10 27.5 very soon....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whistlerdan View Post
    I was wondering the same thing when I looked at it. Especially since I'm riding a Bronson right now I really thought what more could I want? If it was longer travel it would only make sense for it to be way slacker. But they certainly weren't testing longer travel up front as they had 34s on it not even 36s.
    36s are only 26" i think
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Really eh? Funny that they make 40s in a 27.5 now and not 36s. I'm sure they must be coming down the pipeline soon enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great news! Did it have Float X?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes Float X

mtbr member
    internal routing for the rear derailleur? All the way from the front or just the rear triangle?

Better start saving...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Due to Fox 34 maxing out at 160mm, I would guess that the frame also has 160mm of travel (or perhaps 165mm). I would also guess that it has 66 HA because Bronson has 67 and no way they have the guts to go down to 65. They are probably working to optimize the linkage for Float X and nailing the right tune for it. I dont think there are any surprises left, just waiting game until the release... Got to start saving!

Creepy tooth fairy
    It make me wonder where the niche is for a 27.5 Nomad. Is it going to be that much of difference in geometry and travel over a Bronson? It would seem like too much overlap would be present. Alternatively, the Nomad could be pushed into the bigger travel arena as a pocket DH/Park/freeride rig. That however, is a very small market. Perhaps a modular dropout that would allow you to adjust the geometry and position for 26/27.5 wheels ala Banshee's system would be nice. Who knows?
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    It make me wonder where the niche is for a 27.5 Nomad. Is it going to be that much of difference in geometry and travel over a Bronson? It would seem like too much overlap would be present. Alternatively, the Nomad could be pushed into the bigger travel arena as a pocket DH/Park/freeride rig. That however, is a very small market. Perhaps a modular dropout that would allow you to adjust the geometry and position for 26/27.5 wheels ala Banshee's system would be nice. Who knows?
    If it wasn't for the fact the Nomad is such a strong model name for SC I'd think they'd just get rid of it. More than one company has said the market for pedalable bikes in the 170mm+ range just isn't there outside a few select locations. And the Bronson has the Nomad's niche in the 650B line up covered.

Knolly has the same issue. They have a well known 26er model at 160mm and a new 150mm 650B model nipping at its heels.

I can't see companies keeping so many similar models for too long, but they might carry them for another year or two just so customers who really want a 26er have an option. The R&D costs for the 26ers are all ready spent so it's just a question of keeping them in stock and continuing to market them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree with people here about it being potentially close to Bronson. I wonder if they could do it over would they do the Bronson at 140mm, so you'd have 125 SOLO, 140 Bronson, and 160 Nomad? Though I'm already struggling with the Bronson vs. SOLO decision and leaning SOLO, so this would make it really tough. For a 2 bike stable, a SOLO and a Nomad would be sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    I wonder if they could do it over would they do the Bronson at 140mm, so you'd have 125 SOLO, 140 Bronson, and 160 Nomad?
    They still could make that change. The Bronson is new so people's expectations of it are not fixed yet.

I was a bit surprised they just didn't call the Bronson the Nomad 27.5. Then they could have kept or ditched the 26er version depending on sales numbers.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    Due to Fox 34 maxing out at 160mm, I would guess that the frame also has 160mm of travel (or perhaps 165mm). I would also guess that it has 66 HA because Bronson has 67 and no way they have the guts to go down to 65. They are probably working to optimize the linkage for Float X and nailing the right tune for it. I dont think there are any surprises left, just waiting game until the release... Got to start saving!
    Fox does make a 34 170mm fork for Scott's genius lt 650b. Maybe they have a couple of those for the prototype.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Who knows they might kill the Bronson off for this new mystery bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think Bronson as more of a long travel trail bike. Small air shock, steepish 67 HA, sleek frame, etc. It is NOT a proper do-it-all bike, because with such specs it is not optimal to bike parks. In my opinion, the upcoming 27.5 Nomad will be THAT bike. Confidence inspiring slacker 66 HA, bigger air shock, plusher suspension, burlier frame, 160mm front and rear out of the box (or perhaps slightly more), etc. Bronson will probably have an edge on pedaling stuff, but the 27.5 Nomad won't be far behind. But on bike parks and rough fast stuff the 27.5 Nomad will be in a class of its own. I think some people will regret that they bought Bronson and didn't wait for a bit longer...

And not having a single bike in the 150 < x < 200 range. Really? That would be a HUGE gap in their lineup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    I think Bronson as more of a long travel trail bike. Small air shock, steepish 67 HA, sleek frame, etc. It is NOT a proper do-it-all bike, because with such specs it is not optimal to bike parks. In my opinion, the upcoming 27.5 Nomad will be THAT bike. Confidence inspiring slacker 66 HA, bigger air shock, plusher suspension, burlier frame, 160mm front and rear out of the box (or perhaps slightly more), etc. Bronson will probably have an edge on pedaling stuff, but the 27.5 Nomad won't be far behind. But on bike parks and rough fast stuff the 27.5 Nomad will be in a class of its own. I think some people will regret that they bought Bronson and didn't wait for a bit longer...

And not having a single bike in the 150 < x < 200 range. Really? That would be a HUGE gap in their lineup.
    If you want a proper do-it-all bike that is optimal for bike parks, it won't pedal decent enough for all day rides. I have a Bronson and it will handle more than maybe you think. It's not gonna be a park bike but it handles chunk and steeps really well.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I've been hearing rumors of a new nomad in 27.5 but with 180mm rear travel to fill the gap between the V10 and the Bronson but I would prefer a little less travel to make it a do it all bike as the current nomad

mtbr member

Re: Spotted in Whistler... a new 650B Nomad

165-170mm sounds sweet. Something to compete with Firebird, Chilcotin...

mtbr member
    It didnt happen without photos...come on folks, why all the bashfullness....snap a pic from your smart phones as we are dying to see these.

My Bronson will be up for sale ASAP once these are availible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here's a shitty one for you. Found on nsmb.com and as reported already, 10+mm travel over Bronson, one with Fox 34, other with Pike, Float X, room for water bottle in triangle.
    Spotted in Whistler... a new 650B Nomad-nomad.jpg

mehukatti makes a good point, they need a bike with a 8.5 x 2.5 shock size.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Messing around...

Nevermind
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 10-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think an updated nomad with 27.5 would come in handy for the WC guys at tracks like pietermaritzburg and maybe even a few others.

mtbr member
    Fox has to bring out a 36 650b 180mm fork, then the new nomad would make a lot of sense with 180 both ends. If they can only put a 34 on what's the diff to the bronson? An extra 10mm in the rear???

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast