mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Specific one: trade TRc for alu TB? Advise needed

Conditions:
    - Mostly long, epic rides (50miles or longer). Moderate terrain, fire roads, some roots; majority “flat” rolling terrain with limited altitude gain

- Time to time XC and marathon racing; significant altitude gain.

Current setup:
    - TRc with 26 wheels, 120 forks, xt group component level.

And the question: is it any good idea to trade TRc for TBa? For some reason keep killing myself with this question... almost cannot sleep

Any advise? Anyone went this way, or considered?

TBc is not an option for now.

Got Bronson for big mountain adventures, and 29 HT for short, fast xc daily usage. I am 5 11, btw

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So to be more general… keep lightweight and stiff carbon 26” or go for heavier 29” for these riding conditions, rather.
    Apparently switch would not require any significant investment in cash. Am I over thinking simple things?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I guess should go for lighter setup... that is TRc and probably convert to 650b for better long distance performance /?/

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would probably just sell it and use the money to upgrade some parts on the Bronson. I don't see what you would gain in having a 650B TRc with slightly less travel than the Bronson. Sell it, buy a Pike, Cane Creek shock and some carbon wheels for your Bronson and you'd have a light bike capable of long, epic rides and all mountain riding as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would do that trade in a second... the TBa can be built up plenty light, and if you're looking at 50+ mile rides I sure as hell wouldn't want to do those on a Bronson. I guess part of it depends on the spec of the TB and how much (if any) you'd have to upgrade, but I would make that trade. The TRc's are very hard to sell these days, so you're going to get minimal return right now.

The Tallboy is VERY capable for both climbs and descents. Put a 120mm fork on the Tallboy and you'll be extremely happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yep, this is where the story begins -> my bronson will get pike160 soon... (now on rev 150) and wider rims. I am converting it to pure mountain machine, not long distance flat trail bike.
    So I am looking for comfortable long distance rough terrain machine, a endurance XC so to speak (?)

Still justifying efficiency between light TRc and (heavier) TBa; on the other hand -> in relatively "flat" but rough terrain 29wheels keep momentum better.

Thanks for advise!