mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Spare rear wheel for Tallboy LTc

So my son is really into riding downhill at Northstar and I'm looking for a spare rear wheel I can use on my LTc when I ride there because the wheel I have on the bike is primarily set up for Auburn and Downieville. Can someone recommend where I could pick up a complete rear wheel that I could just swap out when I ride there. Also what size hub would I need since the bike has a thru axle. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

Get in touch with Mike C. and tell him what you need. You will get great advice and the finest quality build at whatever your budget happens to be. He also has as much experience as anyone with burly 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sss
    Last edited by peter19ue; 08-09-2013 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are you currently running the stock wheels? I'd just keep using them until they need truing. What rear tire are you currently running? Personally, I'd just ride the wheels I had, and if something happened to them, I'd get new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    Would this rim work if I ran a heavy duty tube and tire. I would be using only about 5-10 a year at Northstar

Specialized 29er 142mm Thruaxle Rear Wheel DT Swiss Formula | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I have Stans Arch EX with a WTB Bronson that work great at Auburn and Downieville where I normally ride. My son likes Northstar so I ride there a few times a year. I hit a rock on Gyspy and the rear tire got a hole in it and popped. My idea is to get a spare rim that I can mount a heavier duty tire on and use that when I ride Northstar which is 5-10 a year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    Yeah, I have Stans Arch EX with a WTB Bronson that work great at Auburn and Downieville where I normally ride. My son likes Northstar so I ride there a few times a year. I hit a rock on Gyspy and the rear tire got a hole in it and popped. My idea is to get a spare rim that I can mount a heavier duty tire on and use that when I ride Northstar which is 5-10 a year.
    I gotcha. If you like the way the Stan's rims work, I'd get a FlowEX from them. Reasonably priced and good quality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would call Stans , the wheels are reasonably priced and durable if you pick a rim that matches your weight and riding conditions.