Thread: Solo/Tallboy2

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Solo/Tallboy2

Checking these out online. Specced with the SLX/Deore kit, they are 2-300 dollars different. Why the big cost differential?

mtbr member
    Cost difference in fork, wheels, and tires?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    Cost difference in fork, wheels, and tires?
    Seems like a good idea, but the cost differences wouldn't be $200. Same fork with 30mm more travel is almost the same price. Rims and tires are different size for different purposes, but are basically the same price.

Tall Boy LT is more than the TB, but it comes with the 34mm forks. Solo is 3300, TBLT is 3200, TB is 3100. Interesting stuff.

Frame sets are all the same $$.

mtbr member
    You got my curiosity Went and looked this time (both the Alu version and the R kit).
    - Bar spec is different. Solo riser - TB Flat bar
    - Rotor sizes are different. Solo frnt 180 - TB frnt 160
    - Rims are different. Solo i23 - TB i19
    - Tires. Solo High roller 2.3 EXO - TB Ikon 2.2
    - Spokes will be different lengths - SC builds their own wheels, so have to take that into account too (larger runs of TB wheels likely reduces the cost of those wheels in time training and tooling.)

Does this add up to $200 probably not. interesting exercise, There are differences and I don't think they are gouging anyone (not that you were saying that in your OP).

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hadn't noticed the bar. The tires and rims while different are essentially the same cost. Even with your typical cost mark-ups in retail, the $200 seems to be guided more by the popularity of the Solo. Interesting to look at, nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is the cost difference due to the 27.5 wheels? They are probably charging more because they are first to the market.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDogVT View Post
    Is the cost difference due to the 27.5 wheels? They are probably charging more because they are first to the market.
    The wheels cost essentially the same. And they aren't early to 27.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    The wheels cost essentially the same. And they aren't early to 27.5.
    Look at the cost of the same kits between the Tallboy LT and Bronson. The Bronson has another inch of travel but, is that worth a $300 up charge. I think it has something to do with the 27.5 wheel 'luxury' charge

mtbr member
    I have been pricing out bikes on the SC builder and then looking at doing my own build with parts from Jenson USA/CRC and I can save $1K on a high end build doing it myself.

I was a bit surprised by that and doing my own build I get to customize the rig in a few ways that I will appreciate.

I'm not sure the if you'll save $$ on a less expensive build, but it's worth looking into.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I have been pricing out bikes on the SC builder and then looking at doing my own build with parts from Jenson USA/CRC and I can save $1K on a high end build doing it myself.

I was a bit surprised by that and doing my own build I get to customize the rig in a few ways that I will appreciate.

I'm not sure the if you'll save $$ on a less expensive build, but it's worth looking into.
    I'm looking at the public-school-teacher builds. Unless you have a spare fork sitting around, one is probably better served by their packages.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I bought the R spec build of the 5010 with the CTD-K fork and shock upgrade. I already had X9 2x10 and XT brakes from my last bike that I'm taking across and can sell / use the Deore / SLX spec items off the 5010. Was cheaper this way due to the fork costs of buying separately for me in Australia.