mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Solo Setup Thread

This is a thread to discuss Solo setup info. Mostly fork and shock settings, but also stem/handlebar setups, and maybe even drivetrain and tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Fork settings

I'm 160 lbs and have a SOLOc with the XX1 build -- Fox 32 CTD 130mm fork and CTD shock, with Trail Tune.

I had a TRc with 130mm Fox 32 (26er) RLC fork that I set around 65 psi and pretty much never got full travel. I have a Fox 32 120mm (29er) RLC fork on my Tallboy that I normally run at 70 psi and rarely get full travel. I set the Solo fork at 65 psi and got full travel, so I bumped it up to 70 psi and still get full travel. It doesn't have the small bump compliance of the RLC forks and feels less plush in general, so getting full travel was surprising.

Do others have the same experience with the CTD fork?

When I first got my Tallboy it seemed like the stanchions were kind of dry and had more stiction than expected, so I opened them up and they barely had any oil in the fork legs, even though they were brand new. I'm wondering if this new CTD fork has the same issue. I guess I can't tell without opening them up.

I've been running them mostly in the Trail-Soft setting. I've tried the Descend setting to get more plushness but didn't feel much difference, and the Trail setting seems to reduce brake dive and out-of-saddle bobbing a little bit.

I set rebound about 3 clicks in from full fast. I tend to like low fork rebound settings to let it follow the terrain and do it's thing.

Please share your settings and thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Shock settings

I set the CTD shock to the Santa Cruz recommend pressure for my weight, which was 150 psi. The sag was at the low end of the range, but on the trail I got full travel. I couldn't feel it bottom out, but the o-ring indicated full travel at the end of the ride. On my TRc's RP23 I ran 145 psi and almost never got full travel. The TRc also felt more plush, but also had more bobbing.

I bumped up the shock pressure to 155 psi and still get full travel.

I mostly run it in the Trail-Soft setting. I've also tried the Descend setting, but it didn't feel much different. On the trails that are mostly rock gardens I would probably just stay in the Descend setting.

Rebound is set to 4 clicks in from full fast.

On my Tallboy I used to run the RP23 at 150 psi. I then had it custom tuned by PUSH and now I prefer it at 160 psi. Before the tune I didn't notice much difference between the ProPedal settings, but afterward the settings make more of a difference.