Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5010 Picture Thread

987K views 4K replies 524 participants last post by  Cleared2land 
#1 ·
I don't see an official SOLO picture thread, just the "Has anyone got their SOLO yet" thread, so post up your SOLO photos here.

I'll post some photos of mine after I assemble it.

#4 ·
Carnivore Liver Couch Fawn Bow
Swapping the 750mm wide Havoc bars for 711mm Haven bars.
I'm used to the EC70 XC bars, which are 685mm wide, so even the Havens will be wider than I'm used to.

I found some of last year's (2012 model) Haven bars at a good price. They look to be identical to the 2013 bars except for the graphics.

#10 ·
It wasn't a frame-only. I'm just assembling it myself. This isn't normally allowed, but I have a family bike shop connection and I get a better deal if I do the assembly myself.

I've assembled a couple of Specialized bikes, and they require very little assembly -- pretty much just install the wheels and handlebars. But assembling Santa Cruz bikes is almost like building from scratch. The cranks and headset were installed, but that's about it. So I still have a lot of work to do. Need to trim brake hoses and bleed brakes, install cables and housings, etc. I'm going out of town in a couple of days, so it will be a couple of weeks before I finish it and ride it.

I'm swapping the Maxxis HR2 tires for Nobby Nics, and having a really tough time getting the beads to seat, even with a compressor. I've done lots of tubeless setups before, so I'm guessing it's the Enve rims that make it tough. They came with gorilla tape and tubeless valves installed and a couple of small bottles of Stan's sealant in the box -- this is the first time I've seen a bike come set up for tubeless out of the box.

I like the newer Shimano triggers, with multi-release, instant release, and dual-release (push and pull). I'm not crazy about the SRAM triggers, though. I plan to swap to a twist shifter later.

#13 ·
I had my LBS build a frame up for me. So yeah I guess you could kind of call it that as I selected the parts I wanted to include. The Stealth, enves and XX1 are the same as what is offered by SC though.

Yep, I specifically wanted the Pike and it had to be as close to 130mm as possible (for my liking). And I definitely didn't want 150mm, too much for me - just wouldn't suit the balance with the rear travel and the geo all round (unless you just do gravity I suppose, but then, get a Bronson and smash it). I like 150, I love the Bronson, but it is too high and too long and a wee bit heavier. Even 140mm for the Solo seemed too much on paper, but there is no other fork available in the market anyway, I had one short ride and all is good, very very good. Wow in fact.

#15 ·
It's starting to look like a bike.

I still need to install the chain, shifter cable and housing, and route and trim and bleed the brake hoses and Reverb hose. Then adjust everything to fit.

The 2.35 Nobby Nic snakeskins look to have a lot of volume.

I wanted the solid gray stickers on the Enves to better match the gray Santa Cruz decal on the bike, but got the gray outline stickers instead. They are nice and stealthy, though.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

I swapped the 34t XX1 chainring for a 32t that I found for $23.
I also installed Race Face protective boots on the crank arms.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle Crankset

#23 ·
I've had my Solo since early July, but due to circumstances beyond my control (business travel, rainstorms, etc), I am just now putting some miles on it.

Overall, absolutely love it. I think SC has a winner on their hands. Agile, fun to throw around, and highly maneuverable.

I bought the low-end RAM build as I am an SRAM guy, so I plan on replacing the entire drivetrain eventually. The Shimano stuff is working well for a base build, though, for what it's worth.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

#30 ·
I bought the low-end RAM build as I am an SRAM guy, so I plan on replacing the entire drivetrain eventually. The Shimano stuff is working well for a base build, though, for what it's worth.
That was exactly my plan. I bought the aluminum RAM27 kit with the intent to replace the drive train and brakes. I'm a huge 1x fan, but the 11 speed versions are just way too pricey, so I decided to go 1x10.

First, this turned up at our office reception.

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle fork Bicycle

I completed the build and rode it home.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

And then immediately replaced cranks with RaceFace Evolve SS and the X0 type 2 derailleur. No need for a chain guard so far!

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Brakes are now Magura M2, that together with the ShiftMix clamps make the cockpit super clean

Product Audio equipment Bicycle accessory Technology Electronic device

Seems I don't have any good bike pictures from the handful of rides I've taken with it in the last couple weeks, but here is a video I shot down in Soquel: Soquel Demonstration Forest - YouTube

And finally some battle scars

Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Orange Bicycle frame

I love this bike already. Took me a couple rides to figure out the balance, which is quite different from my old Stumpjumper 29er HT, but now I'm getting really comfortable with it. The Fox CTD shocks work great for me. Very impressed with how stiff the climb mode is.

Super happy with this bike and the build I went for.

#26 ·
SOLO Picture Thread

Could an owner of the matte black/green post a photo of the LHS of their frame and also the underside of the downtube....just want to see how much gastly green there is....more pics the better...

Also I'd appreciate someone posting the specs of their Fox CTD shock.

Cheers

#28 ·
Could an owner of the matte black/green post a photo of the LHS of their frame and also the underside of the downtube....just want to see how much gastly green there is....more pics the better...

Also I'd appreciate someone posting the specs of their Fox CTD shock.

Cheers
Here you go. This is all the green on the bike

Attachments

#32 ·
The big 2.35 Nobby Nics have good clearance.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Tread Carbon

Rim Automotive tire Black Metal Tread

I made some more progress on the build tonight. Installed the chain, got the brake hoses and Reverb hose routed and shortened, and partially installed the shift cable and housing.

The bike weighs right at 25 lbs. with no pedals. This is a medium with the XX1 Enve kit, bars switched to Easton Haven carbon bars, and tires switched to Nobby Nic 2.35 snakeskin tubeless.

#34 ·
Finally finished building mine.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle wheel rim Rim Bicycle wheel

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle

Cable Wire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Black

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke

I should get to ride it this weekend.

I'm not sure if the stock 70mm stem will work for me (I typically use a 90mm stem), but I'll give it a try since the bars are wider than I normally use. I have an 80mm Easton EA90 stem and a 90mm Thomson in my parts bin, so I can experiment.

I also don't know if I'll like the stock Peaty grips. I typically use ESI Chunky grips, but I'll give these a try.