Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Solo Cracked Frame

So REALLY bummed right now. Just got my Solo a couple weeks ago and took it on my first mountain bike road trip to Fruita and Grand Junction Colorado. Upon unloading my bike today I noticed this.
    I have owned a couple other CF frames bikes before (One Specialized and one Giant) and I have never had this occur.
    I initially thought this may be a result of my rack, but it can't be. I had the bike properly secured so the frame would not swing at all during transport and used a seat to stem adapter as points of contact. My last ride in Fruita was on Moore Fun trail and it was a bumpy one but nothing this bike could not handle.
    I guess here you guys can follow my saga with this. Contacted both my LBS and Santa Cruz customer service (who in the past have been REALLY good about responding to questions).
    I have no motives other than wanting my bike to work well. I love this bike so far and hope Santa Cruz works with me here. Stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solo Cracked Frame-soloframe.jpg  

Always in the wrong gear
    I hope they work with you on this. Please keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Can't tell much from the picture.
    Is that a crack/ding/dent/scrape?
    Or, is your clear coat just torn up?

mtbr member
    There is some paint and layup chipping off. A 6 inch or so hairline crack goes from the chipping to the logo on the top tube. Not sure it is safe to ride.

mtbr member

Re: Solo Cracked Frame

Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    There is some paint and layup chipping off. A 6 inch or so hairline crack goes from the chipping to the logo on the top tube. Not sure it is safe to ride.
    What kind of rack do you use?

mtbr member
    One of these. But I use an adapter that goes from the seat post to the stem since this is carbon and since it is a full suspension bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Re: Solo Cracked Frame

One of these. But I use an adapter that goes from the seat post to the stem since this is carbon and since it is a full suspension bike.
    That's a bummer...
    I hope SC will treat you well.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    I've got a few similar looking blems on my carbon Nomad top tube.....all from:
    1. cleats on my shoes scraping top tube on lazy or unplanned dismounts
    2. other riders pedals from shuttling and having bikes crammed together
    3. rock/gravel strikes from about 20K miles of roof rack time for the frame.

Without being able to inspect it in person, it looks exactly like a pedal cleat was dragged across the top tube when a leg was swung over the frame.

That's a weird spot for a crack in a carbon frame. Hard to crack top or down tubes without some severe torque and impact.

SC's clear coat on their carbon frame can be brittle and it's really easy to rip up top coat and a bit of carbon when anything hard scratches and abrades the frame.

SC's warranty department is awesome, especially so when you are the original owner.

mtbr member
    Well, it's a bummer cause it's a *****in' bike. I have been really happy with my SC and their customer service so far so I hope they can resolve this.

mtbr member
    it's repairable if it is a gouge from a cleat, sharp rock, etc.

if it comes to that, take better pics and send them to these guys for a quote: http://calfeedesign.com/repair/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It does look like a gouge, but pretty hard to tell from the pic. The crack actually looks the like the center seam, which is often quite visible on the black models. Of course if the seam wasn't visible before, that's different. Pretty amazing considering how strong carbon fiber is. Check out this SC video of aluminum and CF destructive testing:

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - YouTube

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Do you use anything else to secure it to the rack? Problem with those adapters is they rely on the weight of the bike to stay in place. You can hit a bump in the road and the bike moves vertically in the adapter.

If I were you, I would look into getting a tray style rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Do you use anything else to secure it to the rack? Problem with those adapters is they rely on the weight of the bike to stay in place. You can hit a bump in the road and the bike moves vertically in the adapter.

I have the rubber straps holding the adapter down. I had it secured so it wouldn't jump up and down or sway back and fourth. None of it was secured on the top tube. I think it happened during a ride and I perhaps did not notice because it was covered in so much dust/dirt the last day. We will see what SC says tomorrow.
    I understand they don't like giving out new frames but this bike is only 3 weeks old.

b a n n e d
    Hard to tell from the picture but that doesn't look cracked to me. Hopefully its just a paint/CC blem and you can continue riding and enjoying the bike. If it is genuinely cracked, I'm certain SC will take care of you.

Unless there's some sort of defect in the layup or mfg process (which is certainly possible), I think the force required to crack a TT would leave no uncertainty as to what happened.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member

Solo Cracked Frame

That really sucks sure you never backed into something with the solo on the rack???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post

This is true, but I would hope that anyone using a top tube / rack adapter realizes the issue and secures the bike appropriately. It takes as little as two bungee cords.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
    That really sucks sure you never backed into something with the solo on the rack???
    I had it on nowhere near the end of the rack. If I backed into something there would be damage on side of downtube/top tube or other parts of the bike. I used a strap that came with the bike to secure it from bouncing up and down. I went through the pedal holes and wheel spokes so it would not bounce and so wheels would not spin while transporting.

mtbr member
    They are just getting back from Interbike so it might be a couple of days before they get to your email. I'm
    waiting to hear back from Willie about another circle crack on my TRc. If that is indeed a crack, they will take
    care of you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks like possible carbon layup above the shock bolt housing area on the top tube. I'm sure they will sort it out. Looks as though it's about to splinter upwards

mtbr member
    Taking it in to the shop tomorrow. Will keep you all posted!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is there any way that the bars or pedals from one of the other bikes on the rack rubbed or hit it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Always hard to tell from a pic alone but it sure looks like some kind of clamping force or an impact. It's definitely not going to look like that from just riding along.

Can you explain that adapter you mentioned? Sounds like a pipe or rod from post to stem, above the top tube, and you mount that adapter to the rack? I know you've mentioned straps, etc., but let's just say theoretically you hit a big enough bump to make your bike jump vertically - would your top tube smack your adapter or rack right there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can you post pics with the adaptor installed and the bike on the rack?
    BTW- we are not piling on. Shop and/or Santa Cruz is going to ask the same.

mtbr member
    It is one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What does it look like installed and on the rack?
    What are the clearances?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast