Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Solo Cracked Frame

So REALLY bummed right now. Just got my Solo a couple weeks ago and took it on my first mountain bike road trip to Fruita and Grand Junction Colorado. Upon unloading my bike today I noticed this.
    I have owned a couple other CF frames bikes before (One Specialized and one Giant) and I have never had this occur.
    I initially thought this may be a result of my rack, but it can't be. I had the bike properly secured so the frame would not swing at all during transport and used a seat to stem adapter as points of contact. My last ride in Fruita was on Moore Fun trail and it was a bumpy one but nothing this bike could not handle.
    I guess here you guys can follow my saga with this. Contacted both my LBS and Santa Cruz customer service (who in the past have been REALLY good about responding to questions).
    I have no motives other than wanting my bike to work well. I love this bike so far and hope Santa Cruz works with me here. Stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solo Cracked Frame-soloframe.jpg  

Always in the wrong gear
    I hope they work with you on this. Please keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Can't tell much from the picture.
    Is that a crack/ding/dent/scrape?
    Or, is your clear coat just torn up?

mtbr member
    There is some paint and layup chipping off. A 6 inch or so hairline crack goes from the chipping to the logo on the top tube. Not sure it is safe to ride.

mtbr member

Re: Solo Cracked Frame

Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    There is some paint and layup chipping off. A 6 inch or so hairline crack goes from the chipping to the logo on the top tube. Not sure it is safe to ride.
    What kind of rack do you use?

mtbr member
    One of these. But I use an adapter that goes from the seat post to the stem since this is carbon and since it is a full suspension bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

One of these. But I use an adapter that goes from the seat post to the stem since this is carbon and since it is a full suspension bike.
    That's a bummer...
    I hope SC will treat you well.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    I've got a few similar looking blems on my carbon Nomad top tube.....all from:
    1. cleats on my shoes scraping top tube on lazy or unplanned dismounts
    2. other riders pedals from shuttling and having bikes crammed together
    3. rock/gravel strikes from about 20K miles of roof rack time for the frame.

Without being able to inspect it in person, it looks exactly like a pedal cleat was dragged across the top tube when a leg was swung over the frame.

That's a weird spot for a crack in a carbon frame. Hard to crack top or down tubes without some severe torque and impact.

SC's clear coat on their carbon frame can be brittle and it's really easy to rip up top coat and a bit of carbon when anything hard scratches and abrades the frame.

SC's warranty department is awesome, especially so when you are the original owner.

mtbr member
    Well, it's a bummer cause it's a *****in' bike. I have been really happy with my SC and their customer service so far so I hope they can resolve this.

mtbr member
    it's repairable if it is a gouge from a cleat, sharp rock, etc.

if it comes to that, take better pics and send them to these guys for a quote: http://calfeedesign.com/repair/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It does look like a gouge, but pretty hard to tell from the pic. The crack actually looks the like the center seam, which is often quite visible on the black models. Of course if the seam wasn't visible before, that's different. Pretty amazing considering how strong carbon fiber is. Check out this SC video of aluminum and CF destructive testing:

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - YouTube

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Do you use anything else to secure it to the rack? Problem with those adapters is they rely on the weight of the bike to stay in place. You can hit a bump in the road and the bike moves vertically in the adapter.

If I were you, I would look into getting a tray style rack.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Do you use anything else to secure it to the rack? Problem with those adapters is they rely on the weight of the bike to stay in place. You can hit a bump in the road and the bike moves vertically in the adapter.

I have the rubber straps holding the adapter down. I had it secured so it wouldn't jump up and down or sway back and fourth. None of it was secured on the top tube. I think it happened during a ride and I perhaps did not notice because it was covered in so much dust/dirt the last day. We will see what SC says tomorrow.
    I understand they don't like giving out new frames but this bike is only 3 weeks old.

b a n n e d
    Hard to tell from the picture but that doesn't look cracked to me. Hopefully its just a paint/CC blem and you can continue riding and enjoying the bike. If it is genuinely cracked, I'm certain SC will take care of you.

Unless there's some sort of defect in the layup or mfg process (which is certainly possible), I think the force required to crack a TT would leave no uncertainty as to what happened.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member

Solo Cracked Frame

That really sucks sure you never backed into something with the solo on the rack???

mtbr member

This is true, but I would hope that anyone using a top tube / rack adapter realizes the issue and secures the bike appropriately. It takes as little as two bungee cords.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
    That really sucks sure you never backed into something with the solo on the rack???
    I had it on nowhere near the end of the rack. If I backed into something there would be damage on side of downtube/top tube or other parts of the bike. I used a strap that came with the bike to secure it from bouncing up and down. I went through the pedal holes and wheel spokes so it would not bounce and so wheels would not spin while transporting.

mtbr member
    They are just getting back from Interbike so it might be a couple of days before they get to your email. I'm
    waiting to hear back from Willie about another circle crack on my TRc. If that is indeed a crack, they will take
    care of you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks like possible carbon layup above the shock bolt housing area on the top tube. I'm sure they will sort it out. Looks as though it's about to splinter upwards

mtbr member
    Taking it in to the shop tomorrow. Will keep you all posted!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is there any way that the bars or pedals from one of the other bikes on the rack rubbed or hit it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Always hard to tell from a pic alone but it sure looks like some kind of clamping force or an impact. It's definitely not going to look like that from just riding along.

Can you explain that adapter you mentioned? Sounds like a pipe or rod from post to stem, above the top tube, and you mount that adapter to the rack? I know you've mentioned straps, etc., but let's just say theoretically you hit a big enough bump to make your bike jump vertically - would your top tube smack your adapter or rack right there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can you post pics with the adaptor installed and the bike on the rack?
    BTW- we are not piling on. Shop and/or Santa Cruz is going to ask the same.

mtbr member
    It is one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What does it look like installed and on the rack?
    What are the clearances?

mtbr member
    It wasn't the rack or adapter. There is no way that it would crack there from being transported unless it was hit.

Can you take a clearer picture though? I'm just interested in what the heck is going on there.

I would ditch that rack though and get a rack that won't require an adapter.

mtbr member
    This goes from the seat post to the stem. I have a dropper and I extend the dropper so there is clearance. I took it across I70 from Fruita to Longmont like that. As I mentioned, I secured the pedals and wheels so it wouldn't bounce or sway. I dont have a picture of it mounted.

mtbr member
    Planning on a tray rack after this for sure.

mtbr member
    FWIW I hauled my carbon road bike via a hanging rack like that for years without issue. I own one of those adapters for my wife's hybrid, which is a step-through top tube.

I have also switched racks, though. I have roof racks on my car and when I need it, which is infrequent, a tray rack for my wife's SUV. *Much* better than a top tube hanger.

Golden Bears United
    After looking over the nicks, scratches, dents, paint stripping on my current steel frame, and then reading these posts, I know why I never considered a carbon frame. I have seen the videos re carbon testing by SC, but when it fails, it usually does around the joints and weakest links, not the stiff toptubes, etc.

GnarBrahWyo ~ I feel bad for you, not because SC will ignore this (you'll likely get an appropriate replacement), but because your replacement will have "5010 C" rather than the collector's item "Solo C."

Can't wait for my alloy 5010 to come. Good luck.

mtbr member
    So dropped it off at bike shop. Guy at bike shop said SC is gonna push for crash replacement. He said he was not entirely sure though. I asked what they charge for crash replacement bikes and he said as much as 1/2 price of the frame.
    Given that a frame is ~$2700, I could end up being asked to pay ~$1350 to fix my bike. Starting to question my choice in carbon fiber for the first time after owning three of them. Maybe I should have researched better. This stuff can end up costing you a LOT more down the road...

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're certain that the frame is damaged.
    However, what if it's just cosmetic?
    what did the shop think?
    Cosmetic or structural?

mtbr member
    There is a long hairline crack in it. It's pretty damaged. Some of the fibers are loose too.

mtbr member
    As I said earlier, SC warranty is great, especially for original owners.
    If you get any grief, the magic words for SC carbon frame replacement are "all I did was Endo going uphill."
    Trust me on this.

mtbr member

Solo Cracked Frame

So dropped it off at bike shop. Guy at bike shop said SC is gonna push for crash replacement. He said he was not entirely sure though. I asked what they charge for crash replacement bikes and he said as much as 1/2 price of the frame.
    Given that a frame is ~$2700, I could end up being asked to pay ~$1350 to fix my bike. Starting to question my choice in carbon fiber for the first time after owning three of them. Maybe I should have researched better. This stuff can end up costing you a LOT more down the road...
    If you didn't crash it then it shouldn't be a crash replacement. That is a strange place to crack, esp if there wasn't a crash. If that isn't a manufacturing defect then that spot couldn't crack without a LARGE force.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    If you didn't crash it then it shouldn't be a crash replacement. That is a strange place to crack, esp if there wasn't a crash. If that isn't a manufacturing defect then that spot couldn't crack without a LARGE force.
    I mean to say "no fault replacement".

mtbr member

Solo Cracked Frame

I mean to say "no fault replacement".
    Unless you did something to cause this crack you shouldn't have to pay a dime for a replacement. If you did do something then yeah it should be a no fault replacement.

likes bicycles

If you're bike was structurally damaged on a rack, that's wrong. Every frame I've ever owned can handle a cleat nicking it without structural damage. In my opinion, you absolutely should not pay a dime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Stay tuned, MTBR'ers. I find out tomorrow. I am missing my bike though. Was gonna ride it today. I still recommend this bike for anyone interested in a trail/light AM bike.

mtbr member
    There is a long hairline crack in it. It's pretty damaged. Some of the fibers are loose too.
    This has suddenly started to not sound very much like a scuff from a cleat, bike rack, etc.

I do think something is up, and I do think SC is going to take care of you.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    This has suddenly started to not sound very much like a scuff from a cleat, bike rack, etc.

I do think something is up, and I do think SC is going to take care of you.
    Agreed. Please let us know . . . my gut tells me that you won't know anything though until SC gets the frame in their hands.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm interested in seeing what SC does for the OP here. Charging him for a new frame under these circumstances would certainly drop them down my short list for my next bike purchase. I'd hardly consider $1,350 a minimal charge for a no fault replacement. I hope it works out in your favor OP and I'm sure you'll keep us informed.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

The Next 100 Miler
    I have one of these and the nut holding the hinge together (clamps around the stem) has left some nice scratches in the top tube of my aluminum Solo. When the bike is on the rack, the adapter is up under the seat and handle bars. Take it off the rack and the adapter slides down and hits the top tube.

Not sure if this is the location of your damage, but worth checking. I wrapped my adapter with some pipe insullation tube from Home Depot.

It is one of these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When the bike is mounted on the rack with the adapter, is the horizontal bar from the rack close to that area? If I'm thinking about this correctly, the adapter would go on top of the two horizontal bars on the rack and your top tube would be underneath. With that setup the bike is lower to the ground than the rack is designed for. If the rack is mounted on a low clearance vehicle, I can see maybe backing out some place at a steep angle causing the bike wheels to compress and eventually pushing the whole bike up. And if the top tube contacts the horizontal bar on the rack when the bike is pushed up, that can definitely crack it.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    When the bike is mounted on the rack with the adapter, is the horizontal bar from the rack close to that area? If I'm thinking about this correctly, the adapter would go on top of the two horizontal bars on the rack and your top tube would be underneath. With that setup the bike is lower to the ground than the rack is designed for. If the rack is mounted on a low clearance vehicle, I can see maybe backing out some place at a steep angle causing the bike wheels to compress and eventually pushing the whole bike up. And if the top tube contacts the horizontal bar on the rack when the bike is pushed up, that can definitely crack it.
    Seems plausible to sustain a hit in that regard, but I'd put my money on the rack breaking before the frame.

mtbr member
    that is the area where I think the most force would be if the rear suspension was bottomed while sitting on the seat ? think?
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good luck with that......

If the top tube cracked under normal riding conditions there would be damage elsewhere on that front triangle.

Throw the rack in the bin and get a rack made that's of similar design to DH bike racks where the wheels sit in a rail and the crank slides into a "crank holder" on the rack.

Something isn't right there!

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    The other scenario would be the suspension is fully extended and a wheel drags on the ground which twists the bike in the rack. The bike would rotate around the adapter, since the adapter sits in a cradle on the carrier arm. The top tube is at a downward angle wrt the bottom of the carrier arm and would hit one edge of the bottom of the carrier arm. This edge would put a lot of pressure on the carbon fiber in a very small area. This would probably not damage the carrier arm. If the carrier arm is located just above the point of damage, that may have been what happened. Seems like the damage is a little too far down the top tube though.

In any event, if SC comes through with a no charge frame, that would be great customer service. I can also see SC deciding on a no fault replacement in this case, since damage to one tube of the triangle is a rare occurence.

mtbr member
    I had my dropper post extended to max length so no way would the middle bolt brush the top tube. I run pretty high pressure in my rear shock and it has never bottomed out.

mtbr member
    I do plan on getting a tray rack though. Far healthier for any bike.

Ride On
    Meh, I've transported plenty of bikes in a KUAT "hanging rack" worth much more than mine with nary an issue. Adapter or not. There's nothing unsafe about a quality unit. The cheap versions of these things maybe. The wheel well carriers simply offer more versatile carrying options particularly for full suspension bikes.

I think it goes without saying though if some how the bike bumped into something whilst driving... but thats hardly an issue with the design of the rack.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    For me this is not a warranty is a CRP.
    Through the photo it is clear that there was an impact in this particular part of the frame . This is an accident and not a warranty problem.
    Ride 29er !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    when I worked in a shop we saw more damage done by people who had their bikes on racks than anything else. of course, they said they were Just Riding Along....

What is the theory, that the frame broke while being transported on a rack, and it has nothing to do with the rack but everything to do with the frame?
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Been in talks with Santa Cruz this morning. Should hear back soon.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's mildly amusing that so many posters can be judgmental when no one knows exactly how the bike was damaged.

I would take many of the replies in this thread with a grain of salt.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    It's mildly amusing that so many posters can be judgmental when no one knows exactly how the bike was damaged.

I would take many of the replies in this thread with a grain of salt.
    I appreciate everyone's interest. I may end up getting the short end here and I am not saying anything bad about SC. I have been pretty happy with their service thus far. Just letting people see what goes down in case they decide to go the carbon route. There are certain risks/rewards that go with carbon. This is the first time I have ever had a damaged frame in 10 years of riding, so I think these events are rare. Regardless of the cause.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    I'm interested in seeing what SC does for the OP here. Charging him for a new frame under these circumstances would certainly drop them down my short list for my next bike purchase. I'd hardly consider $1,350 a minimal charge for a no fault replacement. I hope it works out in your favor OP and I'm sure you'll keep us informed.
    I am not sure this situation is a good one to base your purchase of a SC bike on. Because the cause of the crack is so obscure its really hard for us or SC to tell if its a manufacturer flaw. Its not in a normal place that I have seen for any carbon frame to break. Its possible somebody backed into his frame while he was parked or all kinds of other options. It is also possible but less likely that the frame cracked as a result of riding. I know the OP keeps saying that carbon has risks but it would be exactly the same issue if this was an AL frame that mysteriously got kinked or cracked in the same place. SC would offer the same type of replacement.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    I appreciate everyone's interest. I may end up getting the short end here and I am not saying anything bad about SC. I have been pretty happy with their service thus far. Just letting people see what goes down in case they decide to go the carbon route. There are certain risks/rewards that go with carbon. This is the first time I have ever had a damaged frame in 10 years of riding, so I think these events are rare. Regardless of the cause.
    I don't think there are any more risks involved with carbon over aluminum other than paying more for the frame. If you damaged an AL SC in the same fashion you'd be in exactly the same situation but paying 50% of the AL price instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    I don't think there are any more risks involved with carbon over aluminum other than paying more for the frame. If you damaged an AL SC in the same fashion you'd be in exactly the same situation but paying 50% of the AL price instead.
    I have yet to get any sort of offer from Santa Cruz but I would say yes, after you make the initial investment in carbon, you risk more by paying more for a possible replacement down the line. That is kind of understood by most buyers, including myself.
    Going off of Santa Cruz frame pricing, that is almost $400 more you will pay for a no fault carbon replacement compared than an alloy. So yes, I think there is some additional risk, but that comes along with having something that costs more than the other option.
    It should be noted the 50% figure was something the bicycle shop told me during a quick back and fourth conversation and I do not think he was sure of that. The $1350 figure I brought up earlier (half of the $2700 carbon frame cost), I imagine, would be actually be less because I do not need a rear triangle or a rear shock. However, it is possible SC does not sell those individually for warranty purposes. I don't know yet.
    Santa Cruz warranty center called me today asking for another pic of the bike and I sent one in to them and recommended they get more pics from the shop, where the bike shop is at. As I have said earlier, I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hairline crack goes from the chipping to the logo on the top tube.
    Probably not the case, but are you certain the "crack" you notice isn't actually the frame seam running down the center of the top tube (visible in the pic)?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    I am not sure this situation is a good one to base your purchase of a SC bike on. Because the cause of the crack is so obscure its really hard for us or SC to tell if its a manufacturer flaw. Its not in a normal place that I have seen for any carbon frame to break. Its possible somebody backed into his frame while he was parked or all kinds of other options. It is also possible but less likely that the frame cracked as a result of riding. I know the OP keeps saying that carbon has risks but it would be exactly the same issue if this was an AL frame that mysteriously got kinked or cracked in the same place. SC would offer the same type of replacement.

Your point is noted. I think with the disbonding issues I've read about with SC are enough to rule out a carbon bike from then at this point for me. My interest at this point is with SC's No Fault Replacement Warranty. I realize the 1,350 figure that has been floated about isn't set in stone, so I'm waiting to see what number, if any, SC is going to charge the OP on this.When I'm thinking of dropping this much coin on a bike, I want it to be from a company that has solid warranty support with a " no fault or crash replacement policy. I've already ruled out some really nice bikes because of 2 year warranties from the companies.I really would like to see SC and the OP come to a mutually agreed resolution. The alloy Bronson and the bike formally known as Solo are still on my short list. No local demo days for my area until November so I'm waiting patiently.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    check other forums for issues with pivots and linkages, they exist, whether carbon or not.

at least new Santa Cruz bikes/frames have a lifetime warranty on bearings. but I agree that all these carbon issues make a person want to save the money, forget about the 1-2 pound weight difference, and not have to worry about posting in the 'carbon disbonding' thread.

mtbr member
    It's thought that the newer models with the "co-molded" pivot hardware have fixed this problem.
    I think it was really just a problem with the 2011-13 Blur's and TB's.
    Time will tell if the Bronson and Solo avoid this issue.

mtbr member
    +1 - this is what keeps me looking AL frames for my next bike. I keep 'em a long time and I ride in rocky places.

I hope SC takes care of you better than a $1K+ touch.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    It won't be $1350 to fix. You'll end up buying a new front triangle in the $600 range I'd imagine. $2700 is front and rear triangle plus the shock.

mtbr member
    It's thought that the newer models with the "co-molded" pivot hardware have fixed this problem.
    I think it was really just a problem with the 2011-13 Blur's and TB's.
    Time will tell if the Bronson and Solo avoid this issue.
    That's true. The TB2C also has the new pivots. There aren't a lot of miles on these bikes yet, but I haven't seen one posted on MTBR with an issue.

mtbr member
    That is an odd place to crack, no??

I don't own a carbon bike, but my next one will be... for the ride quality, stiffness, etc... and because I can finally afford one (justify it? no), but I want to try it.

I think potential cracks or disbonding issues kinda come with the territory IMO. How you are taken care of when things happen, is what matters IMO. SC has an outstanding CS reputation, from what I can tell. The fact that they even offer a no fault replacement discount is a win IMO.

mtbr member
    It won't be $1350 to fix. You'll end up buying a new front triangle in the $600 range I'd imagine. $2700 is front and rear triangle plus the shock.
    Yes, I mentioned that already. I am just waiting to hear from Santa Cruz. The crappy part is the Solo, err.. 5010, is sold out in most places and frames are not readily available. Fall in the Rockies is prime riding season and I will most-likely miss a lot of saddle time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just as a side note, earlier this year, I got a crash replacement rear triangle for a Blur TRc for $250 from SC when I went through my LBS. The weird thing was that SC quoted me $400 when I emailed them myself.

mtbr member
    Could something like that be caused by a rock flipped up from the road? I have seen a dent on a trunk lid from a rock lobbed over the top of a car from the one in front of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    Could something like that be caused by a rock flipped up from the road? I have seen a dent on a trunk lid from a rock lobbed over the top of a car from the one in front of it.
    I know someone who had a hole put in the downtube of their Mojo HD while it was on a roof rack by a rock

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post

I was kind of thinking something along those lines.

Anyhow, not it only matter what they do about things. If the shafting occurs...

Carbon repair: Options for repairing carbon bike frames - VeloNews.com

Repair Broken Carbon Bike Frames | Bicycling Magazine
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gnar follow me if you can, hopefully I'll make this clear. My friend used to have one of these racks for years and I think other have touched on this.

I know you mentioned you secured it from swinging etc..., but you also mention having your dropper fully extended.

When we used to use these adapters, the only thing holding the bikes down was gravity. The bottom of the seat simply rests on the top of the adapter. Yes you strap down the adapter, but there isn't anything preventing the rear end of the bike from moving upward until the top tube/seatpost junction hits the bottom of that adapter. There isn't normally any movement at the front because the stem and frame sandwich the adapter at that end.

So as other have mentioned, if you hit a bump in the road, the bike wouldn't even need to hit the road, the force could have sent the entire rear of the bike moving upward causing the top tube to hit the bottom of the rack.

Just an armchair hypothesis.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Well, major update in my frame case.
    After sending Santa Cruz e-mails back and fourth I spoke with both the bike shop where I bought it (which is actually across the Colorado border because I live in Wyoming) and Santa Cruz. The warranty folks want me to send the bike in (I had to remind them again I did not have the bike the bike shop did) so they gave me an "RA" number (not sure what that is) so they can inspect the frame. They then told me if it is a no fault replacement it will be $600 to replace. I was not advised if I will have to pay shipping for the bike or possible labour to assemble/disassemble the bike. I will ask next time I touch base with both of those contacts.
    All of that seems well and good. They want to look at the frame to find out if it is defective. Totally understandable. The crappy part is this, (and it is really crappy) I was advised by the bike shop that getting a new frame would be an indefinite wait. According to the bike shop "months out". The folks at Santa Cruz are going to give me an ETA soon, but by going off our comunication record, I will probably have to keep e-mailing them so they remember to let me know.
    So, in other words, it looks like my riding season is over after three weeks with bike. I usually ride into early December out here or beyond so I am done missing a lot of riding. Fall riding no less, which is my favorite.
    Now, I have been pretty objective and understanding to Santa Cruz's point of view here. I can't fault them yet but I can't praise them either. My friend's boyfriend crashed his Specialized Epic this summer and my local Specialized dealer had a new frame paid for even though it was a crash (NOT saying that has to be done in my case). They gave him a loaner bike to race on to boot. They stepped up big time there. He was thanking the Bicycle Station (in Cheyenne) for the great service. If you go to their Facebook page go back a few months, you will find his post.
    I have seen some on this thread actively following to see how this pans out. I am finding out the hard way it is quite possible that if you damage your frame (defective frame or no fault) you may end up losing several months of riding and may end up bikeless with Santa Cruz. Keep in mind this saga is not over yet, but I was essentially told getting a new frame is not coming anytime soon.
    I am hoping Santa Cruz can somehow help me out. I think it's possible they could get some new fans by stepping up like localized bike shop has. If not, I will have learned my lesson.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Seems hard to believe there's a shortage of frames to get you back on the trail

Limited perceived quantity of sc frames keeps it's boutique image

I love my Santa Cruz frames, highball and aluminum tallboy

My cs experience with sc was great, they supplied me with a free seat post clamp, when I purchased the tb from their clearance garage sale, I was missing one on my highball

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

b a n n e d
    After sending Santa Cruz e-mails back and fourth I spoke with both the bike shop where I bought it (which is actually across the Colorado border because I live in Wyoming) and Santa Cruz. The warranty folks want me to send the bike in (I had to remind them again I did not have the bike the bike shop did) so they gave me an "RA" number (not sure what that is) so they can inspect the frame. They then told me if it is a no fault replacement it will be $600 to replace. I was not advised if I will have to pay shipping for the bike or possible labour to assemble/disassemble the bike. I will ask next time I touch base with both of those contacts.
    All of that seems well and good. They want to look at the frame to find out if it is defective. Totally understandable. The crappy part is this, (and it is really crappy) I was advised by the bike shop that getting a new frame would be an indefinite wait. According to the bike shop "months out". The folks at Santa Cruz are going to give me an ETA soon, but by going off our comunication record, I will probably have to keep e-mailing them so they remember to let me know.
    So, in other words, it looks like my riding season is over after three weeks with bike. I usually ride into early December out here or beyond so I am done missing a lot of riding. Fall riding no less, which is my favorite.
    Now, I have been pretty objective and understanding to Santa Cruz's point of view here. I can't fault them yet but I can't praise them either. My friend's boyfriend crashed his Specialized Epic this summer and my local Specialized dealer had a new frame paid for even though it was a crash (NOT saying that has to be done in my case). They gave him a loaner bike to race on to boot. They stepped up big time there. He was thanking the Bicycle Station (in Cheyenne) for the great service. If you go to their Facebook page go back a few months, you will find his post.
    I have seen some on this thread actively following to see how this pans out. I am finding out the hard way it is quite possible that if you damage your frame (defective frame or no fault) you may end up losing several months of riding and may end up bikeless with Santa Cruz. Keep in mind this saga is not over yet, but I was essentially told getting a new frame is not coming anytime soon.
    I am hoping Santa Cruz can somehow help me out. I think it's possible they could get some new fans by stepping up like localized bike shop has. If not, I will have learned my lesson.
    There's a lot to comment on here, so I'll just quickly throw out the obvious:

a) worst case scenario is your BRAND NEW, $5K bike will be replaced WITH NEW for $600.

b) you heard from the LBS - NOT the manufacturer - that frames are "months out." First, I'd wait to hear what SC themselves have to say. I'd bet they have a supply of crash/warranty replacements on hand, or in short-order.

c) yes, you'll likely have to pay shipping both ways and if you can't do it yourself, then disassembly/reassembly of the bike.

d) you can't compare Specialized to SC . . . not even close to the same level of company. Specialized probably has hundreds of frames on hand at any given time. SC operates on a fraction of the scale. I do think I'd hit up my LBS for a loaner though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    There's a lot to comment on here, so I'll just quickly throw out the obvious:

a) worst case scenario is your BRAND NEW, $5K bike will be replaced WITH NEW for $600.

b) you heard from the LBS - NOT the manufacturer - that frames are "months out." First, I'd wait to hear what SC themselves have to say. I'd bet they have a supply of crash/warranty replacements on hand, or in short-order.

c) yes, you'll likely have to pay shipping both ways and if you can't do it yourself, then disassembly/reassembly of the bike.

d) you can't compare Specialized to SC . . . not even close to the same level of company. Specialized probably has hundreds of frames on hand at any given time. SC operates on a fraction of the scale. I do think I'd hit up my LBS for a loaner though.
    No, I am not getting a "brand new" bike for $600. It is a front triangle. BIG difference. You are right, I have not officially heard from the manufacturer, but I did note that in my post.
    You CAN absolutely compare SC and Specialized. Why couldn't you? One may be bigger, but many (some on this thread) definitely compare their warranty program along with other smaller bike outfits.
    I am being pretty reasonable and giving everyong the facts as I get them and I have noted several times in past posts this is far from over. So, just sit tight.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Pull the parts off. Send frame in. Buy cheap-ish burly hardtail to hang parts on and ride while waiting...

At least, I'd hope they'd be cool with you doing it that way.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    But I get where you are coming from. They are different. The bike shop told me no dice with the bike loaner. The owner of my LBS that sells Trek here in Cheyenne once let me borrow his personal bike when mine was in the shop. Great shop. If you are ever in my neck of the woods Rock on Wheels is a great shop.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    wow sorry to hear this man....I have been wanting a SOLO bad but this makes me rethink it big time. I didnt read all 4 pages, but why is SC saying you might have to pay $600 for a new frame? Did they say you damaged it, or manufacture defect?

My biggest complaint I have had so far with getting a solo is the long lead time....6-8 weeks is a long time to get a bike. Keep us updated, sorry to hear about this, I hope it works out ok for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    wow sorry to hear this man....I have been wanting a SOLO bad but this makes me rethink it big time. I didnt read all 4 pages, but why is SC saying you might have to pay $600 for a new frame? Did they say you damaged it, or manufacture defect?

My biggest complaint I have had so far with getting a solo is the long lead time....6-8 weeks is a long time to get a bike. Keep us updated, sorry to hear about this, I hope it works out ok for you.
    Hey Barry1me,
    Don't count out a Solo yet. This is still unresolved and anything could happen. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. The bike itself is a pleasure to ride and I'd definitely say it is worth the wait. Also, I was told there would be a wait for mine but my the shop was able to wrangle one somehow without much of a wait.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey Barry1me,
    Don't count out a Solo yet. This is still unresolved and anything could happen. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. The bike itself is a pleasure to ride and I'd definitely say it is worth the wait. Also, I was told there would be a wait for mine but my the shop was able to wrangle one somehow without much of a wait.
    for sure man, my fingers are crossed for you too. I hope you dont have to pay a thing, and they will have you back in action very soon.

FWIW a local guy had a specialized epic s works 26er (original owner) and his frame cracked when the bike was 8 years old and Specialized gave him a brand new 2013 s works epic 29er as they dont make a 26er any longer. I personally saw the guy/bike and he didnt have to pay a thing to get this resolved and done quickly. You can call Cycle therapy in waterford MI and here the story for yourself. Considering you have had this bike 3 weeks I would expect SC to make this right for you ASAP, and as painless as possible for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know it sucks because it happened to you, but to be fair, it was the bike shop that loaned a bike not Specialized, so we all know the LBS plays a big role.

Second Specialized has a ton of Epics, if someone broke a Sworks Enduro right now, I doubt Specialized would be able to get them a frame any faster.

There is a difference between breaking something that's been out a while and something that is a new release and pretty much sold out.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wow, this really sucks, I feel for you. Your handling of it is commendable , if it was me I'd be pulling my hair out due to frustration, my hat's off to you. I'm still going to watch the thread but i think this probably rules out SC as my next bike purchase. It's not a money issue , it's a time length issue for me. I live in S Fl, so I'm lucky enough to have year round riding, but I really think that a manufacturer should make warranty claims a priority and get people riding as quickly as possible again. I have purposely stayed away from the Big Three for bikes because I've always liked to support the little guys but maybe it's time to rethink that stance.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My Specialized experience wasn't quite so rosy. I had a Stumpjumper FSR 29er, and the Brain shock failed twice within the first 4 months. Each time it took more than 4 weeks to ship it to the west coast, have it repaired, and ship it back. So in the first 4 months of ownership the bike was out of commission for more than half the time. It would have been nice if the LBS or Specialized had provided a spare loaner shock for me to use while mine was being repaired.

In general, both Specialized and Santa Cruz provide great customer service. But there will be certain cases with availability of frames or other proprietary parts.

I have found that it's good to have a second mtb. Things break, shocks and forks need servicing, etc., so it's good to have a backup bike. Plus, I like having both a hardtail and a full-squish bike. It's pretty easy to find a decent used hardtail for pretty cheap.

SS Pusher Man
    That is the great thing about SC customer service....they will deal consumer direct.

You have an RA#(return authorization). Strip the frame down and send it in to SC. They will then send you a warranty replacement or get in touch with you for payment on NFCR.

Have dealt with them on a few different occasions for warranty issues.....no LBS's involved. Each time it was handled in a week or 2 total.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I have found that it's good to have a second mtb.
    +1 - always good to have back up.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Agree on the backup bike for sure, it's the only way in my book. I hope that this get's worked out, but man that is some bad luck. I am guessing it had to be the rack and if it was totally sucks.

A brand new bike breaks IMO great customer service would be to replace it. It's not as if you crashed it. Just my opinion though.

I will also say that you LBS loses some points as well. I know of a local shop that would definitely give out a loaner in a situation like this.

Good Luck

rubber side down
    and a back up to your back up....good luck! Would suck to have to give them any $ for a replacement if it's only 3 weeks old! Unless it was due to negligence. Not like SC bikes are hurtin' for $
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry your frame has got a issue, but I can't believe this thread has got 4 pages of e speculation over one photo! Personal I don't think this thread should start until you have sent the frame back to Santa Cruz for inspection.
    We all ride bikes and know shit can happen, so it's only worth commenting on the facts. This thread doesn't help you with your claim. It doesn't help the people reading it or the company in question, as they might only pick up on the negatives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    A brand new bike breaks IMO great customer service would be to replace it. It's not as if you crashed it. Just my opinion though.

Good Luck
    im sure the company hears sob stories like this all the time. 'I was just riding along and my new carbon frame just broke.' when in reality the guy drove into his garage with the bike on top of the car.

Im not saying that this happened in this case, but youll have to excuse them for their skepticism. they gave him an RA number. send it back in. it sucks but im not sure what else there is to do about it. your LBS in this case sounds kinda worthless. Id be dealing with Willie at SC directly.

FWIW, ive never seen an SC carbon frame crack anywhere near the top tube. seems a really strange place to crack a frame

mtbr member
    I have a 2nd bike, but it is a 37 lb fat bike (Moonlander), so I might have to make use of it on dry trails. I have not demanded a free replacement. At the very least I would like to be able to ride my bike again sometime in the year 2013. Would also be nice to know, ballpark, when a new front triangle might be available. Apparently know one knows how far out that might be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got through a rear triangle crash replacement with SC customer service. All I can say is have a lot of patience. It took 4-5 weeks to get a replacement, and that was on a frame that is readily available, not a Solo. That time comprised of waiting for a RA# from SC (several day process), return shipping, waiting for the right person at SC to be in and able to process my frame, shipping replacement back to me. Had a lot of e-mails and phone calls in the process. Not a very pleasurable experience, enough that my next frame purchase will take manufacturer service into account. I turned away from Intense due to poor customer service. SC's wasn't much better. I love my bike though, so that is a strong positive.

I'm thinking you'll get charged for a crash replacement at a reduced rate. Just can't imagine how a top tube could get damaged like that 'just riding along'.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope all goes well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Just got through a rear triangle crash replacement with SC customer service. All I can say is have a lot of patience. It took 4-5 weeks to get a replacement, and that was on a frame that is readily available, not a Solo. That time comprised of waiting for a RA# from SC (several day process), return shipping, waiting for the right person at SC to be in and able to process my frame, shipping replacement back to me. Had a lot of e-mails and phone calls in the process. Not a very pleasurable experience, enough that my next frame purchase will take manufacturer service into account. I turned away from Intense due to poor customer service. SC's wasn't much better. I love my bike though, so that is a strong positive.

I'm thinking you'll get charged for a crash replacement at a reduced rate. Just can't imagine how a top tube could get damaged like that 'just riding along'.

just wondering who you're gonna buy from next? Name a manufacturer, bet you I can find several similar posts about them. Not saying it's ok, but sounds like you won't be buying another bike if this is an issue.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

SS Pusher Man

Sucks to be you.

Both times I have had to warranty something with SC....lower link was on my doorstep 3 days after I contacted them. Front triangle was less than 2 weeks from when I sent request for RA#, to shipping my frame back and getting the replacement.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    If I am riding less than 2 weeks after this incident, I would be totally satisfied, regardless of the fault/no fault issue. I have a feeling it is gonna be much longer than that. However, I plan to keep everyone posted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    im sure the company hears sob stories like this all the time. 'I was just riding along and my new carbon frame just broke.' when in reality the guy drove into his garage with the bike on top of the car.

Im not saying that this happened in this case, but youll have to excuse them for their skepticism. they gave him an RA number. send it back in. it sucks but im not sure what else there is to do about it. your LBS in this case sounds kinda worthless. Id be dealing with Willie at SC directly.

FWIW, ive never seen an SC carbon frame crack anywhere near the top tube. seems a really strange place to crack a frame

In all honesty after I read my post I was thinking the exact same thing. I work in a business where my company gets taken advantage all the Tim because of its liberal return policy. Yesterday a coworker and I were talking about how the word is out and customers are starting to take advantage of it rather than actually wanting our product.

Needless to say this sounds like they are doing their due dillegence and I will reserve judgement. The time of their decision is what I am most interested in as it would be tough to be out of a brand new bike for a long time.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    In all honesty after I read my post I was thinking the exact same thing. I work in a business where my company gets taken advantage all the Tim because of its liberal return policy. Yesterday a coworker and I were talking about how the word is out and customers are starting to take advantage of it rather than actually wanting our product.

Needless to say this sounds like they are doing their due dillegence and I will reserve judgement. The time of their decision is what I am most interested in as it would be tough to be out of a brand new bike for a long time.
    Sooooo . . . . where do you work!?

So you'll be making your own frames from now on I take it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I know it sucks because it happened to you, but to be fair, it was the bike shop that loaned a bike not Specialized, so we all know the LBS plays a big role.

Second Specialized has a ton of Epics, if someone broke a Sworks Enduro right now, I doubt Specialized would be able to get them a frame any faster.

There is a difference between breaking something that's been out a while and something that is a new release and pretty much sold out.
    My buddy had a 2011 29er Epic carbon that he had warrantied. He worked through our local shop and it took 5 weeks to get his frame replaced. So you right on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    Your point is noted. I think with the disbonding issues I've read about with SC are enough to rule out a carbon bike from then at this point for me. My interest at this point is with SC's No Fault Replacement Warranty. I realize the 1,350 figure that has been floated about isn't set in stone, so I'm waiting to see what number, if any, SC is going to charge the OP on this.When I'm thinking of dropping this much coin on a bike, I want it to be from a company that has solid warranty support with a " no fault or crash replacement policy. I've already ruled out some really nice bikes because of 2 year warranties from the companies.I really would like to see SC and the OP come to a mutually agreed resolution. The alloy Bronson and the bike formally known as Solo are still on my short list. No local demo days for my area until November so I'm waiting patiently.
    Just a quick note. The alloy Bronson and Solo are completely different bikes. The Bronson C and A are the same. The Solo is renamed I believe in both C and A models to be the 5010. 5010 | Santa Cruz Bicycles

I think one thing some folks on this thread are missing is that SC has a great warranty for 5 years of manufacturers defects on carbon bikes. In addition to that they have a no fault replacement as the OP stated for $600 for a front triangle. Meaning if you drive in the garage and break your frame they are kind enough to give you a huge discount because you broke it. What other company does that? They help you when break it and its your fault, pretty amazing IMO. I have never seen a frame crack where his did. I think like I said something happened in transporting the bike that the OP wasn't aware of. Its possible but unlikely the frame broke while riding in that location. Should SC warranty something that was outside the control of both rider and company? None of us knows what really happened to the frame. Lets see what SC says and even if they come back and say he has to go with the no fault replacement doesn't mean they are a bad company or have bad customer service. If the frame was damaged by some other means other than defect they are true to their policy even if the OP doesn't know how it happened. I am not trying to be a punk but sometimes our expectations of what a manufacturer should do may not be realistic and then we make a judgement about a company that's based on expectation rather than policy.

Somebody else said they knew someone who had an Ibis get a whole in the frame while driving from a rock hitting. I'd be curious to see if Ibis replaced the frame or not?

I have a Nomad C 2012 with no issues related to the disbonding. You have every right to chose what you want but these forums aren't always a great judge of how reliable a bike is. The question is what's the ratio of people posting with issues vs. non issues. You know the answer all the people who have issues post while the rest of us ride and ride. SC has fixed the disbonding issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast