Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Solo or Bronson

mtbr member

Solo or Bronson

If you had a Nomad and wanted to add a bike to your stable which would you choose between a Bronson or Solo and WHY?
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Solo - because the Bronson is too similar to the Nomad, so what's the point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are set on trying the bigger wheels but also plan to keep your nomad, a solo built up light is the way to go. I got a bronson to replace a stolen nomad and am very happy. But I would not have picked up the bronson if I still had my nomad. Different bikes for sure but I would use a bronson and nomad for a lot of the same stuff.

Or, sell the nomad and get a solo AND a bronson.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    If you are set on trying the bigger wheels but also plan to keep your nomad, a solo built up light is the way to go. I got a bronson to replace a stolen nomad and am very happy. But I would not have picked up the bronson if I still had my nomad. Different bikes for sure but I would use a bronson and nomad for a lot of the same stuff.

Or, sell the nomad and get a solo AND a bronson.
    Also if you looking at bigger wheels and have any interest in trying a 29er, wait. Lot's of speculation that the new bike will be something like a 120mm Tallboy.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Solo, if you're going to keep the Nomad. Build it up light for more XC rides, and keep the Nomad burly for the chunky downhills and shuttle days.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are looking to keep the Nomad then as said above, get the Solo.

My dilema is that I had a TrC 650 conversion and an Al Nomad. The TrC is so fun I never rode the Nomad so I just sold it to fund my next project. Do I build a proper (non conversion) 650 trail bike by moving components over to the Solo or go bigger with the Bronson? The only time I missed the 'mad was on chunky DH, but not enough to choose it over the snappy handling pedal happy TrC. If I move to Bronson will I lose too much on the xc side for a all around trail bike?

mtbr member

Solo or Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    If you are looking to keep the Nomad then as said above, get the Solo.

My dilema is that I had a TrC 650 conversion and an Al Nomad. The TrC is so fun I never rode the Nomad so I just sold it to fund my next project. Do I build a proper (non conversion) 650 trail bike by moving components over to the Solo or go bigger with the Bronson? The only time I missed the 'mad was on chunky DH, but not enough to choose it over the snappy handling pedal happy TrC. If I move to Bronson will I lose too much on the xc side for a all around trail bike?
    I was just thinking today that the idea of too much travel is now somewhat antiquated due to the fact that these long travel bikes pedal so well. Also, the fact that the geometries seem to be designed with the idea of a dropper post in mind. The Bronson has a relatively steep ST angle 73* I think, for a long travel bike, which is great for climbing but wouldn't be great for descending without a dropper. If I had the money I'd get a Bronson right now (I also have a 650b TRc). It would be "too much bike" for most of my trails. The only penalty I would be paying for that though would be a little extra weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All depends on the type of trails you will be riding. My answer would be neither. I admit I haven't ridden the Bronson or the Solo, but a 125mm travel 650b bike has no appeal to me for the trails I ride (maybe I just don't know what I'm missing out on). I would much rather have a 29er if looking for a bike in that travel range (perhaps a Tallboy with a 120mm fork).

The Bronson seems like it would be overkill, unless the Nomad is built up more for the bike park, in which case the Bronson might be perfect. Again, it all depends on the trails you wanna ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Once you ride a Bronson, you will want to sell your Nomad.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Also if you looking at bigger wheels and have any interest in trying a 29er, wait. Lot's of speculation that the new bike will be something like a 120mm Tallboy.
    What makes you think that SC has another new bike?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jet fixer View Post
    If you had a Nomad and wanted to add a bike to your stable which would you choose between a Bronson or Solo and WHY?
    That's my situation. I have a Nomad built up fairly beefy with heavy duty wheels and tires.

I am planning on getting a 650B bike. If I were to buy one today I would get a Bronson and build it up on the lightweight side of things. Lightweight would be good for longer rides, but I still want long travel for the rough trails I ride.

I think I could make the Bronson different enough to make keeping both bikes worthwhile.

I don't have a use for a Solo with 125mm travel and very low BB. I would be slamming my pedals into rocks a lot.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    What makes you think that SC has another new bike?
    The moving of the TBLT to the All Mountain column of their website.
    I could be wrong, but I doubt that the Solo is going to be the only bigger wheel trail bike for them.
    That would leave a 29er gap being filled in by a lot of their competitors.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There are no more new SC bikes this year! New colors for the TBLT though...no revision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bronson!

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I was just thinking today that the idea of too much travel is now somewhat antiquated due to the fact that these long travel bikes pedal so well. Also, the fact that the geometries seem to be designed with the idea of a dropper post in mind. The Bronson has a relatively steep ST angle 73* I think, for a long travel bike, which is great for climbing but wouldn't be great for descending without a dropper. If I had the money I'd get a Bronson right now (I also have a 650b TRc). It would be "too much bike" for most of my trails. The only penalty I would be paying for that though would be a little extra weight.
    I agree, or at least I did before I discovered how much better the TrC pedaled than the Nomad. Is that due to the 'trail' geometry vs 2009 all mtn geo, 5 lbs lighter build, Carbon vs Al, 125 vs 160 travel, or ???

My TrC conversion is built with a 36 fork dropped to 140mm so the HT should be right around 67* like the 'mad, but it hands down pedals better and is more fun to ride. Like I mentioned, I do miss the stability on chunky downs... Is this because I'm limited to a 2.1-2.2 tire, shorter chainstays, rear end stiffness, less travel or ???

Enter the Solo v Bronson debate:
    Solo- 142x12 rear plus can run a bigger tire
    Bronson- Plus 25mm travel

I think I'm leaning Bronson with a Pike 275 fork as my do all 1 and only bike. Just hoping I don't regret it on 30+ miles days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    I agree, or at least I did before I discovered how much better the TrC pedaled than the Nomad. Is that due to the 'trail' geometry vs 2009 all mtn geo, 5 lbs lighter build, Carbon vs Al, 125 vs 160 travel, or ???

My TrC conversion is built with a 36 fork dropped to 140mm so the HT should be right around 67* like the 'mad, but it hands down pedals better and is more fun to ride. Like I mentioned, I do miss the stability on chunky downs... Is this because I'm limited to a 2.1-2.2 tire, shorter chainstays, rear end stiffness, less travel or ???

Enter the Solo v Bronson debate:
    Solo- 142x12 rear plus can run a bigger tire
    Bronson- Plus 25mm travel

I think I'm leaning Bronson with a Pike 275 fork as my do all 1 and only bike. Just hoping I don't regret it on 30+ miles days.
    The issue with the Nomad is that it hasn't been updated in awhile now. It used to be the do everything bike, but just can't keep up
    with other 6" bikes with regard to pedaling. I would almost say that by today's standards the Nomad is a bike park bike.
    A 6" travel Bronson pedals as good as if not better than the TRc. That's what I'm referring to, the current generation of bikes.
    I would put the Nomad in the "old" generation at this point.

A Bronson with a Pike will be a beast (if the Pike is anywhere as close to the hype about it). It's what I would drop my money
    on today if I could.

b a n n e d
    The moving of the TBLT to the All Mountain column of their website.
    I could be wrong, but I doubt that the Solo is going to be the only bigger wheel trail bike for them.
    That would leave a 29er gap being filled in by a lot of their competitors.
    Well, the category labels are completely arbitrary/meaningless . . . the bike itself is exactly the same, regardless of what "category" its in. I'll be very surprised if anything else comes out this year.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    It used to be the do everything bike, but just can't keep up with other 6" bikes with regard to pedaling. I would almost say that by today's standards the Nomad is a bike park bike.
    I dunno. Seems a little extreme to say the Nomad is now almost obsolete. But I guess that's the point of marketing. What other 6" bikes are you referring to that the Nomad can't keep up with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    I dunno. Seems a little extreme to say the Nomad is now almost obsolete. But I guess that's the point of marketing. What other 6" bikes are you referring to that the Nomad can't keep up with?
    The only real world experience I have is on the Bronson, which out pedals my TRc. I know my TR out pedals a Nomad.

I didn't mean to say that the Nomad is obsolete, but if you are going to be climbing on your rides a Bronson is going
    to be much more capable. The Nomad, I'm guessing, will still be better for straight up descending.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Well, the category labels are completely arbitrary/meaningless . . . the bike itself is exactly the same, regardless of what "category" its in. I'll be very surprised if anything else comes out this year.
    I get that, but why bother moving it. Not saying the TBLT has changed. Just that moving it might indicate something is coming in that category to replace it.
    SC is getting left behind, a lot of 120mm 29er are out, they need one in that space.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Subscribe

Thanks for the insights, all. Intriguing dialog.

mtbr member
    I get that, but why bother moving it. Not saying the TBLT has changed. Just that moving it might indicate something is coming in that category to replace it.
    SC is getting left behind, a lot of 120mm 29er are out, they need one in that space.
    I wouldn't say they're getting left behind at all. Two new 650b bikes, and a redesign on the Tallboy? And I agree with their approach going with longer than 120mm on their 29er. I've ridden a few 120mm 29ers, and it's not enough travel. However, the TBLT at 135mm feels great, as does the Stumpy 29er at 130mm. Why conform to what the industry is doing when you can do it better?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

couple of references to new bike

Here's Chipps from STW, might not be coming out this year but I'm hoping for a tweener TB (TBtr)

"We were also riding the Santa Cruz Solo and another, still hush-hush bike too. All seemed pretty capable "

Singletrack Magazine | Santa Cruz launches the Tallboy 2
    Last edited by velez3000; 06-11-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: no need to reference quote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I wouldn't say they're getting left behind at all.
    +1 - even though the exact flavour of 650B bike I want hasn't arrived yet. I don't think there is any complaining with a lot of good product to choose from and undoubtably a bunch more new bikes coming out for next year.

I was keen on the Ibis 650B line up and when you compare what's what I think SC is well ahead in that area.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bronson I wanna get, bank don't wanna give.

mtbr member
    The issue with the Nomad is that it hasn't been updated in awhile now. It used to be the do everything bike, but just can't keep up
    with other 6" bikes with regard to pedaling. I would almost say that by today's standards the Nomad is a bike park bike.
    The Nomad pedals fine vs. other 6" bikes:

- Ibis Mojo HD
    - Knolly Chili
    - Specialized Enduro
    - Banshee Rune
    - etc...

and the Nomad is under gunned at the bike park. I wouldn't pick one as my park bike if I was a regular at Whistler.

I think calling it outdated in its category is wrong. It remains one of the top versatile all mountain bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast