Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Appalachian Singletrack'n

Solo with beefy fork.

Im very interested in a Solo but dont want to ride a 32mm fork. Is there any way to get a Fox 34 or Pike in a travel short enough to not screw up the bike's handling? The Fox site seams to mention a 34 is available at 140mm but i cant find one for sale anywhere. Am I just looking at the wronge frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I talked with Fox earlier in the week about what they did for Ibis to get a Fox 34 650B 140 for the HDR650B. Will be a neg base plate and spacer available in July that lets you reduce a 2014 34 Float to 140mm. Xfusion Sweep will be the other option. Can't get a clear answer from RS on reducing the Pike.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Very interested in this as well. Coming from a Lyrik and Fox 36 I don't think I'd like the 32. I wrote SC about it and received "the Solo is designed for 120-140mm fork travel with 130mm being what we consider to be the sweet spot." Can't decide on the Bronson or Solo so weighing options.

mtbr member
    Isnt the stock fork adjustable to 140 mm if you remove the spacer?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Isnt the stock fork adjustable to 140 mm if you remove the spacer?
    Yes, but it has 32mm stanchions I believe.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Yes, but it has 32mm stanchions I believe.
    What's that mean? Sorry, not well-versed in fork ligno.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    What's that mean? Sorry, not well-versed in fork ligno.
    For Fox, the numbers 32, 34 and 36 all refer to the diameter of the stanchions (the tubes that slide up and down) in millimeters. The thicker they are, the stiffer they are and the better handling and tracking you'll get out of your front wheel. Typically, more travel = thicker stanchions, which is why the Fox DH forks have 40mm stanchions and the burly all-mountain forks have 36mm stanchions, while shorter travel trail and cross country forks with shorter travel have thinner (32mm) stanchions. Its a weight savings issue mostly.

OP (and myself for that matter) wants a short travel, thick stanchion fork - i.e., a 140mm x 34mm, which they don't typically make.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    So when you configure that fork to run at 140 mm does it just feel goofy or what? If Iget this bike I'd like to run it at 140 so I can get a bit extra bb height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    I talked with Fox earlier in the week about what they did for Ibis to get a Fox 34 650B 140 for the HDR650B. Will be a neg base plate and spacer available in July that lets you reduce a 2014 34 Float to 140mm. Xfusion Sweep will be the other option. Can't get a clear answer from RS on reducing the Pike.
    I called SRAM just now and the tech stated the travel won't be adjustable due to the air spring that's in the fork. He said while it's possible they may offer other air springs in the future I shouldn't count on it happening. I mentioned the dual position offering and he said the lower setting it meant to get you up the hill. It's not necessarily meant to be ridden in that setting the entire time and will start to creep up when not weighted.

mtbr member
    Specialized has a 2014 120mm Camber EVO with a 120mm Pike. 29er though, I believe.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Someone will eventually tinker around with these (the new Pike forks) and figure a way to drop travel down...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Did Fox say this conversion kit will not be compatible with a 2013?

The Sweep looks like it will be very adjustable, though there have been a few delays with that one coming to market.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Solo 34mm or bronson

Quote Originally Posted by bandit350 View Post
    Very interested in this as well. Coming from a Lyrik and Fox 36 I don't think I'd like the 32. I wrote SC about it and received "the Solo is designed for 120-140mm fork travel with 130mm being what we consider to be the sweet spot." Can't decide on the Bronson or Solo so weighing options.
    Hi fellas,
    yes I inquired to santa cruz if you can run a 34mm at 140 mm travel on the solo/5010 and not lose the owner warranty doing this, they said no problems as its designed like the other guy mention to travel between 120-140mm but 130mm being best.
    i am having trouble deciding between bronson & the 5010/solo but with the bigger fork on the 5010 i'm thinking it might slacken the head angle towards bronson head angle and climb better than the bronson and be able to take the canadian nth shore abuse we give our bikes just as good as the bronson.
    let me know/us your thoughts fellas

ad

mtbr member
    It definitely sounds like the RS Pike RCT3 can be converted to 140mm. There's a guy named WilliamK on the Solo post "Has anybody got their Solos yet?" (Has anybody got their Solos yet?) that mentions that the air spring from the 26" 150mm Pike can go into the Pike RCT3 27.5 replacing the 27.5 air spring. And it sounds like the lowers on the 27.5 Pike is 10mm longer that the 26" version, so by using the 26" air spring you get 10mm less on the travel making it the desired 140mm.

I also looked at the axle to crown measurement on the Pike vs. the stock Fox Float 32 forks. According to the internets, the A-C on the 27.5 Pike RCT3 is 542mm and A-C on the stock Fox Float 32 27.5 130 CTD Axle to Crown: 519mm. I couldn't find the A-C on the stock Fox Float 32 27.5 at 140mm, not sure how it compares. My thoughts are that the 23mm difference will provide the 1 to slacken the head angle to more of the likes of the Bronson. From what I have read, the general rule is 1 on the head angle per 20mm of A-C. Although there's other potential factors at play here, the headset for example could also have an impact on the head angle.
    [Edit] What I still need to find out is what the A-C is on the converted Pike at 140mm. Presumably it's the same as the 26" 150mm Pike which has an A-C of 532mm. What we really need is some real world measurements done by guys on the forum [\Edit]

I have recently ordered a 5010 C frame with the intent to put a Pike RCT3 150mm on it and convert it to 140mm. My LBS called the RS distributor and confirmed with them that it could be done.
    I still have some time to wait to find out how well this works because my frame hasn't arrived yet and apparently the Pike RCT3 isn't available in Canada just yet either (it's supposed to arrive at the end of the month). I will post the results when I get it.

mtbr member
    Oh and I intend on getting a custom wheel build for my 5010 C. Was thinking a Stans Flow EX on Hope Pro 2 Evo with straight gauge spokes. My thoughts were that solid wheels with a beefier fork will make the 5010 more capable on the descents but with still having the climbing ability (best of both worlds hopefully).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    A-C on the stock Fox Float 32 27.5 130 CTD Axle to Crown: 519mm. I couldn't find the A-C on the stock Fox Float 32 27.5 at 140mm, not sure how it compares.
    The A-C for the 140mm Float will be 10 mm more than the A-C for the 130mm Float.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I guess that means that SC's travel range of 120mm - 140mm for the 5010 is based on A-C measurements of 509mm - 529mm provided that the 519mm A-C of the stock Float 32 is an accurate measurement.

I got the 519mm measurement for SC's website (on the 5010 geometry page it says "Geometry based on 519mm axle-to-crown (130mm fork)"). Call me a skeptic but I'm not 100% convinced that the measurement is accurate so I posted in the Has anybody got their Solos yet? thread to get confirmation.

I also asked if WilliamK could provide the A-C of his converted Pike. I am expecting the converted Pike's A-C to be around 532mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

thx regular bob

Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    Thanks. I guess that means that SC's travel range of 120mm - 140mm for the 5010 is based on A-C measurements of 509mm - 529mm provided that the 519mm A-C of the stock Float 32 is an accurate measurement.

I got the 519mm measurement for SC's website (on the 5010 geometry page it says "Geometry based on 519mm axle-to-crown (130mm fork)"). Call me a skeptic but I'm not 100% convinced that the measurement is accurate so I posted in the Has anybody got their Solos yet? thread to get confirmation.

I also asked if WilliamK could provide the A-C of his converted Pike. I am expecting the converted Pike's A-C to be around 532mm.

hi reg bob,
    thx for all the info, sounds very douable the solo with a pike or fox adjusted to 140mm which i think would put it close to the bronson but better climber hopefully. Where you considering bronson or solo ?
    or always just going with the solo ?
    Are you riding the techy candian trails or more flowy trails elsewhere ?
    I'm still can't decide but need to get on it to order either the bronson or solo.

thx

ad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdMoore View Post
    hi reg bob,
    Where you considering bronson or solo ?
    or always just going with the solo ?
    Are you riding the techy candian trails or more flowy trails elsewhere ?
    I'm still can't decide but need to get on it to order either the bronson or solo.
    I was struggling between the Bronson and the Solo/5010. I was really convinced I should get a Bronson and I ended up thrashing out the decision on this thread.. Bronson, Solo or Tallboy LT?. Towards the end of the thread there are some comparative videos of the different trails.

Most of my riding (around 90% of my riding) is done in a valley 15 mins from my house in Toronto, Ontario and it's best described as rolling flowy technical XC with a number of freeride features. Some may argue that the 5010 is too much travel for these trails but I have seen some 6" bikes in there. I was looking into the Bronson specifically because I wanted the extra travel for some of the other more technical trails in Ontario. For example there is some DH trails in Blue mountain, Collingwood and some rocky technical terrain at Hilton Falls. However the descents are nothing like the ones out west and the elevation is such that I wouldn't really be doing any significant extended descents that would demand a longer travel bike. Don't get me wrong I could/would have tonnes of fun with the Bronson but the 5010 is better suited overall for all the riding I do here in Ontario. If I ever go out west, I could use my bike for the trail riding and I could hire a DH bike when hitting the lifts.

Like I said, I'm definitely planning on building the 5010 up a little beefier than stock so I have a little more versatility on the DH-ish and technical trails of Ontario. And at the same time I want to have some growth room for my riding skills.

mtbr member
    bob, i am also building a SOLO, 5010, for riding here in southern ontario, and i to live very close to the valley here in TO. THe 5010 will be perfect for most of the riding around here. in my build i will be using a 34 float set at 140mm. we talked with SC and they said it was ok to run such a fork. I wanted something a bit burlier than the 32.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    in my build i will be using a 34 float set at 140mm. we talked with SC and they said it was ok to run such a fork. I wanted something a bit burlier than the 32.
    Is it an OEM or after market Float 34? Or the 29" Float 34?

I thought the shortest travel you could get with the 27.5 Float 34 was 160mm.
    Last edited by regularbob; 10-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry, hijacking the thread a little here... but having a look at the numbers again it looks like you could do the following with the 5010/Pike combo:

*This is based off the stock A-C of 519mm and assuming that SC's travel range of 120mm to 140mm for the 5010 is based on A-C measurements of 509mm to 529mm

1) 5010 + Pike RCT3 150mm which would have an A-C of 542mm which is only 13mm over SC's recommended range (542mm - 529mm = 13mm) and this would set the head angle from 68 to a little over 67 (542mm - 519mm = 23mm and 20mm = 1)

or

2) 5010 + Pike RCT3 150mm with 26" air spring bringing the travel down to 140mm which would have an A-C of 532mm which is only 3mm over SC's recommended range (532mm - 529mm = 3mm Note: this is assuming that the A-C would be the same as the 26" 150mm Pike) and this would set the head angle from 68 to to a little over 67.5 (532mm - 519mm = 13mm and 10mm = 0.5)

It might be worth trying the 5010 with the 150mm Pike first before attempting the air spring conversion to see what the handling is like as the 13mm might be negligible. Would be interesting to see if the climbing ability is impacted by this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I put a 32/150mm White Brothers Loop on my Bronson and am loving it. 539mm A-C. I'm 180 lbs ride ready. I think it would be a stellar fork for a 120-140 trail bike. FWIW.

mtbr member
    Picking up my Solo tomorrow with fork extended to 140 mm on the CTD. Will report how it feels after my first ride.

mtbr member
    it is an OEM Float 34, set at 140mm.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast