Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SOLO/5010 Tunes for CC DBInline

Just installed the DBinline on my Solo c. Thought I'd start a thread devoted to tunes, cuz while there are few tunes here and there in the Solo picture thread and DB Inline thread, and a thread for Bronson tunes, I can't find any here. And there aren't a whole lot in the CC Lounge (except for Challybert).

First ride tomorrow, starting with base tune. I'm about 173 kitted up, on a medium. Shock installed can high. PSI 160. I ride mostly southern Cal trails year round, and Mammoth park in summer. Bike has Pike 130 (which is the reason for the DBinline in the first place.)

SOLO/5010 Tunes for CC DBInline-solobasetune.png

Any/all advice welcome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    1 Large Volume Spacer (a must IMHO)
    Running 180psi @ about 13-14mm sag. Full kit rider weight 190 or so

With all adjusters backed out all the way to a SOFT stop in the counter clockwise direction:
    HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 2.25 turns
    LSR 7 clicks

Been riding these setting for two months now. The only setting I may tinker with is HSR, but it's within a pretty tight range of 2-2.25 turns.

eta: ah, crap. Just read that you've seen my tune in the Lounge. Oh well....I'll leave it here anyhow.

mtbr member
    Thank you! Glad you posted...not everyone has seen all your posts, so good it's here. Taking it with me on ride today for possible mid ride retune. Just riding bike around on the street and curbs etc 17mm seems too much sag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey MattMay,

Give the 17mm sag a go. I felt it was too soft on my Bronson while riding around the street but it really comes to its own when you take it to the trail! And think about adding a spacer too.

Have fun and lets see some pics of your sunny SoCal trails, it's gone all wet, cold and dark in the UK!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    1 Large Volume Spacer (a must IMHO)
    Running 180psi @ about 13-14mm sag. Full kit rider weight 190 or so

With all adjusters backed out all the way to a SOFT stop in the counter clockwise direction:
    HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 2.25 turns
    LSR 7 clicks.
    I don't remember my exact settings but it's very close to this. 17mm is an error in the CC site. Try putting in 2013 and I believe 12 to 14 comes up. The Bronson is recommended at 17mm. The volume spacer made a big difference when I installed it. Very soft in the beginning, I do use all my travel but only on harder rides, and I never remember feeling a bottom out. I can't ask for much more than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    after a lot of playing about i seem to have arrived at these settings.

1 Large Volume Spacer + 1 Small Spacer
    Running 140psi about 15mm sag, weight with gear between 68kg to 69kg (150lb 152lb mas o menos.)

HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 2 turns
    LSR 10 clicks

i was tinkering around for a while manly trying to work out my bottom out point on the max drops to flat i do which are around 3 to 4 foot.
    i was playing with the HSC between 1 and 1.5 and the spacers, the shock is more plush if i turn the HSC back a bit, but i have now just left it at 1.5. i am at that point where it really depends how i land if its smooth or i bottom it. i was just running one large spacer until the other day. i was sent in the post the little kit from Cane Creek to change the plus/minus symbol on the side of the shock, as mine was one of the faulty painted one's. when i ordered this, and i asked if they could send me another spacer, so i could then play and see how if felt with yet more progression.
    so far so good, have stopped tinkering with the shock now, and started to try and get my pike to match.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    17mm is an error in the CC site. Try putting in 2013 and I believe 12 to 14 comes up.
    sonofagun you're right! going w 15mm. off to ride!

SOLO/5010 Tunes for CC DBInline-dbtune2.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsboy View Post
    HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 2 turns
    LSR 10 clicks
    I am at almost exactly those settings too, just with a large volume spacer cut down to 3 strips of spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    I am at almost exactly those settings too, just with a large volume spacer cut down to 3 strips of spacers.
    i did try 3 small spacer strips, but in the end felt that i needed more to help with bottoming at times. i don't often do jumps or drops but when i do i find the spacers i have in there now help me land smooth while getting full travel.

mtbr member
    First ride on DBInline today. Sooo much better than the Fox CTD. Love the CS. One thing is sure: spacers required. Going to install a large one, then open both compression settings a bit first. Rebound for me feels pretty good at base setting, but I'm sure that will change as I ride more.
    Last edited by MattMay; 11-17-2014 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I had just 1 small spacer strip but felt like I was bottoming the shock all the time and turned up the hsc to compensate. Now thanks to this thread I just installed all the remaining spacers and turned the hsc back to 1.5 turns.
    Question for you folks with the large spacer installed, does the first 6 or so mm of travel on the shock feel really light and then ramp up really fast? I'm noticing just push in the bike down that the initial force required to push the suspension is really light but it goes about 6mm then Ramps really fast. It's a pretty noticeable difference.
    Just wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Is this 6mm + sag or just standing off the bike and pushing on the seat, because if its off the bike all you are doing is taking up 1/2 of your sag by hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I had just 1 small spacer strip but felt like I was bottoming the shock all the time and turned up the hsc to compensate. Now thanks to this thread I just installed all the remaining spacers and turned the hsc back to 1.5 turns.
    Question for you folks with the large spacer installed, does the first 6 or so mm of travel on the shock feel really light and then ramp up really fast? I'm noticing just push in the bike down that the initial force required to push the suspension is really light but it goes about 6mm then Ramps really fast. It's a pretty noticeable difference.
    Just wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong
    No, not with my Inline, anyhow. I need to lean pretty hard on my seat to get the shock to compress AT ALL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cplagz View Post
    Is this 6mm + sag or just standing off the bike and pushing on the seat, because if its off the bike all you are doing is taking up 1/2 of your sag by hand.
    This is just standing off the bike and pushing on the seat. I realize I'm just taking up 1/2 of the sag but was just wondering if others have noticed this behavior from their db inline and if its something I need to worry about it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No, not with my Inline, anyhow. I need to lean pretty hard on my seat to get the shock to compress AT ALL.
    I guess I'm not explaining it very well. What I mean to say is that seems like the shock blows through the first 6mm of travel very easily(This is standing off the bike so sitting on the bike it would be taken up by the sag). Then after that there is a very distinct ramp up. Almost feels like a switch. Anyone else's db inline feels like that? Maybe I should post it up on Cane Creek's site.

mtbr member
    Mine does this...very easy to compress first few mm as you say...to what would be a bit less than sag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I guess I'm not explaining it very well. What I mean to say is that seems like the shock blows through the first 6mm of travel very easily(This is standing off the bike so sitting on the bike it would be taken up by the sag). Then after that there is a very distinct ramp up. Almost feels like a switch. Anyone else's db inline feels like that? Maybe I should post it up on Cane Creek's site.
    Hi pwu_1,

Yeah this is normal all CC air shocks do it apparently. Nothing to worry about

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knockbox View Post
    Hi pwu_1,

Yeah this is normal all CC air shocks do it apparently. Nothing to worry about
    you beat me to it. I posted on CC's rider lounge and got a response from CC already.

The explanation I got is that what I'm feeling is the self charging negative air spring equalizing the pressure against the positive chamber. Completely normal for all Cane Creek shocks.

Since this is a thread about setting for the inline, here's my current setup
    Running about 155psi and I'm probably 160-165 all geared up to ride with water in my hydration pack.

HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 8 clicks
    HSR 2.25 turns
    LSR 7 clicks

Only have a few rides on the shock so still tweaking the settings. 5 clicks of LSC felt good on descents but I was feeling like I lost too much pedal efficiency on the climbs so I'm willing to give up a bit small bump compliance for more pedal efficiency.
    And yeah, I know that's what the climb switch is for. But I'm finding that I keep forgetting to turn the switch off at the top. Once the remote kit is available I might try that

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    you beat me to it. I posted on CC's rider lounge and got a response from CC already.

The explanation I got is that what I'm feeling is the self charging negative air spring equalizing the pressure against the positive chamber. Completely normal for all Cane Creek shocks.

Since this is a thread about setting for the inline, here's my current setup
    Running about 155psi and I'm probably 160-165 all geared up to ride with water in my hydration pack.

HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 8 clicks
    HSR 2.25 turns
    LSR 7 clicks

Only have a few rides on the shock so still tweaking the settings. 5 clicks of LSC felt good on descents but I was feeling like I lost too much pedal efficiency on the climbs so I'm willing to give up a bit small bump compliance for more pedal efficiency.
    And yeah, I know that's what the climb switch is for. But I'm finding that I keep forgetting to turn the switch off at the top. Once the remote kit is available I might try that
    Yeah, never use the switches, either. My trails are a never ending series of ups, downs, turns, etc. I don't really have any climbs where I know I'm committed for the next 15-20 minutes before I get a nice downhill.

What really nice about the Dbinline and the SC 5010, and it appears to be similar for the Bronson, is the Factory Tune of 2, 7, 2, 10 is pretty near spot on right out of the box. The biggest area for change is on the compression side (an it's not all that much). I fiddle with LSC a bit higher than my standard setting of 5 on occasion. Some where in the 5-7 range...likely more of a placebo effect than a notable practical difference. I'd like to believe what feels like my 300 bpm heart rate (and delirium) on "longer" technical climbs is due to those two clicks of LSC I forgot to dial in vs. me just sucking.

mtbr member

i'd like to believe what feels like my 300 bpm heart rate (and delirium) on "longer" technical climbs is due to those two clicks of lsc i forgot to dial in vs. Me just sucking.
    lol!

mtbr member
    I've been riding with the DB on my 5010 for over a month now but never tried any spacers. Tough to answer I'm sure, but what should I expect from adding 1, or some? I'm 160 lbs and like to launch the bike as much as possible...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    I've been riding with the DB on my 5010 for over a month now but never tried any spacers. Tough to answer I'm sure, but what should I expect from adding 1, or some? I'm 160 lbs and like to launch the bike as much as possible...
    What are your current settings? Adding a spacer (reducing air volume) results in a more progressive spring rate. When I added a large spacer I ended up reducing HSC and added a bit to HSR.

mtbr member
    I'm using it with the factory settings, just LSR turned down 2 clicks. Even like this it just made me happy to have the bike finally ride like I always knew it could/should. I've heard it gives a 'more progressive spring rate', but can you put into words what exactly that equates to in feel? Is it plusher/is it firmer? Does it sit higher in the travel?

Guess I just need to try it for myself and see what it does!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    I'm using it with the factory settings, just LSR turned down 2 clicks. Even like this it just made me happy to have the bike finally ride like I always knew it could/should. I've heard it gives a 'more progressive spring rate', but can you put into words what exactly that equates to in feel? Is it plusher/is it firmer? Does it sit higher in the travel?

Guess I just need to try it for myself and see what it does!
    I'm no suspension guru. Every buttock has it's own opinion on what plush means. For ME, with the full spacer installed I liked the way the shock handled all of its travel. Firmer on the tail end of the travel. I was bottoming a bit too easily without the spacer and didn't want to mess with HSC to adjust for this. So, my buttock doesn't feel the spacer impacted low speed, small bump softness. Rather it improved shock performance on bigger impacts requiring the last 10mm or so of travel.

We have some suspension guru's around here who can give you a better, more technical response. My response is equivalent to a suspension kindergartner's response...just based on what the change meant/felt like to me.

mtbr member
    My response is equivalent to a suspension kindergartner's response...just based on what the change meant/felt like to me.
    That's EXACTLY the type of response I was looking for! Needed someone to dumb it down for me...all this 'progressive', 'linear' mumbo jumbo is like greek to me.

Will give it a shot on my next ride and see how it does around here. Spacers may not be required here in FL too much, but when I travel to NC/TN it sounds like it would make sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast