mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Solo with 140mm pike and DBair CS

Planning to build a bike for light enduro style like Trans Provence etc. I'm currently testing a Bronson c, and it is a little big for most of the riding I do. But I'm afraid, that the Solo will be a little too small when hitting the bigger stuff with speed. My previous TRc with 140mm Fox 36 fork felt just a little too small for the bigger and faster trails.

Does it sound stupid to build up a Solo with a 140mm pike and a DBair CS, if my goal is to build something like a little Bronson?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If the TRc with 140mm fork felt a little too small, then the Solo with a 140mm fork probably will too. It sounds like the Bronson's extra inch of travel and slightly slacker geometry would serve you well.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Short-shock a Bronson?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Short-shock a Bronson?
    I don't see the point.

I personally chose the Solo because the Bronson is overkill for what I ride (the Solo is even more than I usually need), but it sounds like the OP rides bigger terrain at higher speeds than I do, so he could use the capabilities of the Bronson. From what I've heard the Bronson gives up almost nothing in climbing efficiency, and the weight difference is really small. If you want a firmer suspension with less travel, then you could set it up more firm (higher air pressure and firmer shock platform setting).

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I don't see the point.

I personally chose the Solo because the Bronson is overkill for what I ride (the Solo is even more than I usually need), but it sounds like the OP rides bigger terrain at higher speeds than I do, so he could use the capabilities of the Bronson. From what I've heard the Bronson gives up almost nothing in climbing efficiency, and the weight difference is really small. If you want a firmer suspension with less travel, then you could set it up more firm (higher air pressure and firmer shock platform setting).
    Well, you can restore the shock/fork at a later date when the bigger travel is desired...ie) if you have the coin, another fork and rear shock so you can go back and forth...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Esben View Post
    Planning to build a bike for light enduro style like Trans Provence etc. I'm currently testing a Bronson c, and it is a little big for most of the riding I do. But I'm afraid, that the Solo will be a little too small when hitting the bigger stuff with speed. My previous TRc with 140mm Fox 36 fork felt just a little too small for the bigger and faster trails.

Does it sound stupid to build up a Solo with a 140mm pike and a DBair CS, if my goal is to build something like a little Bronson?
    Can the 150 Pike even be lowered to 140????