mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Smaller XX1/X01 chainring with VPP?

I notice that Santa Cruz specs a 34t chainring on their XX1 and X01 kits. Will switching to a smaller chainring, like a 30t hurt the VPP pedaling efficiency? In other words, is the suspension optimized for a 34t chainring and going down to a 30t or 28t will result in some undesirable monkey motion?

I'm currently running a 2x10 with a 22/33/bash, and just use the 22t as a bailout gear. It does feel like it pedals more efficiently in the 33t than the 22t. I'm just wondering how a 1x11 with a 30t would work.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Great question. Interested in knowing as well. I went 32/22 on my Bronson and don't really notice any issues in granny. Considering an XX1 setup with a 30 or 28 ring.

mtbr member
    It is probably optimized around a 32-36T ring and 34 is probably dead on, but doubtful you will really notice a difference. If you have not ridden XX1 with the 34 yet I would recommend sticking with it for 2-3 weeks before changing. Everyone I know is now on a 36 or 38 up front despite their trepidation initially.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I'm on a 30T front ring (granted 11-36 10spd - not XX1) and it feels pretty good. Haven't noted any "monkey motion" so to speak.

That's also riding 100% with Propedal switched off on the stock shock, and the compresion damping cranked off on the Monarch RT3 on the bike now.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've read so many comments on VPP with granny, I have run dual chain 38/22 x 11-36, I have yet to feel the 'granny ghost' VPP has a bad rep on. But I rarely use the 22 granny, I just run my 38 teeth up front most of the times, I just use the granny on really steep long climbs. I have a RP23 set on #2 pro pedal on flats and up, and open when going down... just my few cents on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I believe 32T is optimal, as VPP2 was designed around a 3x9 24/32/42 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1. Each VPP bike will have a slightly different location of the virtual pivot point due to the details of the design and Santa Cruz has been refining the design with each new bike and the intended application. As well the VPP moves throughout the travel and will also be different depending on the amount of sag and fork height etc.

2. In granny gear on a 2X setup you will have more anit squat (good) and more pedal feedback (bad) than in the middle ring. The optimum is probably in the range of a normal middle ring but the system works fine in the granny and the amount of pedal feedback and anti squat is in the same ballpark as DW link and other good pedalling bikes.

3. The differences between a 28 tooth or a 38 tooth are not enough to be the deciding factor. You should choose the chain ring size based on your preference for a low climbing gear or a high speed gear. If you do any long climbs and ride trails (not roads) down, I suggest going for a smaller ring as on high speed descents we are more commonly coasting and losing the highest gear will only come into play occasionally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm considering a 28 tooth on the front of my xx1 on the Bronson. Can't wait to change everything over from 2x10

truth seeker
    I'm running a 28T ring on my xx1 Bronson, and the bike pedals and rides great - no issues. I went with 28 because I ride in the Rockies and wanted a real granny gear for long steep climbs. I know I'm giving up some top end speed that could be useful on fire roads and long descents, but for me the tradeoff was worth it.

On a related note, I am very impressed with the xx1 drivetrain - quiet, crisp shifting, lightweight, less handlebar clutter, and plenty of gearing range for me. I can't personally envision ever returning to a 2x or 3x drivetrain.