mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Smaller Riders on Nomads speak up!!

So here's my dilemma; i have had the opportunity to ride both the Heckler and the nomad, only not putting them truly to the test, and think both are great bikes. So while the price tag of the heckler appeals to me i have this thought that i reallllllllly want a hammerschmidt. I'll mainly be riding AM stuff and a little FR here and there, but nothing insane. Obviusly to run a hammerschmidt you have to have ISCG tabs. But i have always been an XC rider and am not a big guy. 5'6" and about 170# means not much in the suspension air canister. So if any of yous guys out there are smaller riders and have a nomad i would appreciate any feedback concerning the climbing ability and if it's a good fit for you. I was riding a 7" FR/DH bike and it was a beast. Solid as hell but climbed like a quadriplegic.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    [SIZE="3"]I have a KOOl-AID mustache!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm pretty much the same size and weight as you. I have 2 Heckler's and a Nomad. The Nomad is very chuckable and the size if fine for me (medium). It climbs very well built up to about 33lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the reply. For your everyday riding do you prefer the heckler?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In a word. Yes. I bought the Nomad for bigger stuff. Go for the Heckler for XC/AM. Nomad for errr...XC/AM/DH.

Single pivot means less maintenance for me. Especially for winter riding!

mtbr member
    I'm 6' but weigh 140 lbs...does that make me a small rider? anyway, I have a large nomad and it is the best bike I've ever ridden. It climbs better than my old Yeti 575 and downhill? Fugheddaboutit.

7MGTE
    I am 5'4" @ 135-140LBS. Ride a small Nomad and I love the bike. Climbs like a goat and descends like a beast. It has taken everything I have thrown at it and said "IS THAT ALL?".

My Nomad is about 30 LBS (FYI) with coil rear shox and 160MM fork.

-
    The bike is awesome.

I am 5'4" , 125lbs on a Small Nomad -- I guess I'm a small rider

I use the bike for XC/AM/DH.

My Nomad is about 31lbs with a DHX Air and Lyrik Solo Air.
    -ROXY

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I appreciate all the responses. Me thinks that the nomad will be the choice since i would really like to run a HS crank on it. But i used to have a Intense SS and that thing was awesome. I loved it... until i wanted to go vertical. It seems a lot of you guys have them built reasonably light, but i'm sure there is durability figured in too. Anyone run a talas 36 rc2 on their's. I had it on the Intense and it was great for a quick turn of the dial and down it went.

mtbr member
    hi!

i'm 5'4 and 145 lbs i ride small nomad with Talas RC 2 07
    it is a great bike,better than my Blur LT
    my fox talas is very plush but i dont get full travel!!

It's Quick
    I'm about 5-5" ans 156lbs (Yeah sounds heavy, but I am just built very dense). Anyway I run the TALAS RC2 2008 and have run the 2007. Both were great but the 08 is much better. Although you may have a different experience if your looking at the new Nomad which has in my mind had some significant changes. My Nomad is the 1-1/8 which has 6.5 in the rear (I run coil for FR/DH and Air for XC) at lightest just under 30.
    2008 SC Chamelon
    2007 SC Nomad 1-1/8
    2007 SC V-10

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 5'4" 130 lbs. Small frame with 09 36 talas and loving every minute of it. great on steep tech climbs on the shorter travel setting. Didn't like the steep climbs with the original float 36, much better now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i'm 5'6" and in xc gear 162# and in freeride pads 169#. I have a 2006 Nomad with ccdb @ 33lbs.

I started out running 22mm of sag and it is a great FR bike - I went from jumping 2footers to having confidence to now jump up to 12' rock drops (smooth tranny) and it just is great. Having a bike that installs this much confidence is got to stop somewhere though becuase I"m now sizing up a 16-17 footer... but there are darn trees about 10 feet to either side of the landing that are scaring me.. so I'm still think'n about it

In XC it was good... but then I changed sag to 19mm' and now xc is significantly better (and would say great) and I felt I did not loose a ton on the rock drops and jumps freeriding. For those wondering, I currently have a 350lb spring, but with 10mm of compression on it.

So, for the new nomad, I compared the geometry and I would go with a medium with a 70mmstem(like I have now).

You will love the nomad!

be nice to spiders

so glad i found this thread!

i'm a 5'5" 130 lb. female rider, and i was wondering whether to get a small or medium Nomad. thanks to everyone who posted, i think the small will be right for me. much appreciated!