Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Small VP-Free and 36VAN Compatibility Issue

    Well it came yesterday. I am amped.

    Long story short, the 36VANRC2 on the small VPF frame is an issue. Is it the headset? With the Cane Creek S3 headset the fok does NOT spin freely under the bike. The aluminum top cap on both legs kisses the bottom of the downtube. Only need about 1 or 2 mm of clearance for no problem!

    Damnit!

    Are there headsets with deeper (taller) cups? Any thoughts?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by goridewrx
    Well it came yesterday. I am amped.

    Long story short, the 36VANRC2 on the small VPF frame is an issue. Is it the headset? With the Cane Creek S3 headset the fok does NOT spin freely under the bike. The aluminum top cap on both legs kisses the bottom of the downtube. Only need about 1 or 2 mm of clearance for no problem!

    Damnit!

    Are there headsets with deeper (taller) cups? Any thoughts?

    Thanks.
    Couldn't you just install a headset spacer between the fork crown and the bottom cup of the headset?

  3. #3
    FishZapper
    Reputation: NoTreadOnMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Man
    Couldn't you just install a headset spacer between the fork crown and the bottom cup of the headset?
    NO! Absolutely not.

    Look at something like a Chris King or a FSA PIG they have bigger cups I think and may give you the clearance you desire.

  4. #4
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,773
    this issue has been discussed quite a bit for the newer Turners with the 06 Marz. 66's and the solution has been the 4mm CK race which Ventana produces or a Cane creek S3+5 headset. http://www.canecreek.com/s3_plus_5.html

    Surprised to hear the van 36 having this issue also.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    this issue has been discussed quite a bit for the newer Turners with the 06 Marz. 66's and the solution has been the 4mm CK race which Ventana produces or a Cane creek S3+5 headset. http://www.canecreek.com/s3_plus_5.html

    Surprised to hear the van 36 having this issue also.
    SICK. airwreck, may I bear your lovechild?

    Thanks for the feedback. I knew spacers underneath were no good. This +5 is a neato product.. MIght hafta go that route!

    Thanks. If anyone else has any other thoughts, opinions, I would love to hear it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129
    and here is the beginning..

    thanks for the input..


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    729

    pics

    Oh what a tease. You've got to throw some pics and stats of that thing when it is fully built up.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    Oh what a tease. You've got to throw some pics and stats of that thing when it is fully built up.
    Of course! Will do so on Wed or Thurs when everything is ship shape!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129






    progress.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    801

    All air susp?

    Mate it's looking good!!!

    Been an owner of a vpf for over 12mths now and have to say it's been a favorite bike.
    Have even trailridin it, that's with 200mm travel up front too...amazing pedaller for a 8"travel bike but................................

    I just wonder with the addition of a DHXAir what your vpf would feel like, the travel is reduced to approx... quote from SC Tech "The travel ends up at around 7.75".

    With light forks/shock combo it wouldn't be a great distance from a nomad to pedal, but guaranteed to handle everything in it's path...even true DH comp.

    Good stuff

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    Mate it's looking good!!!

    Been an owner of a vpf for over 12mths now and have to say it's been a favorite bike.
    Have even trailridin it, that's with 200mm travel up front too...amazing pedaller for a 8"travel bike but................................

    I just wonder with the addition of a DHXAir what your vpf would feel like, the travel is reduced to approx... quote from SC Tech "The travel ends up at around 7.75".

    With light forks/shock combo it wouldn't be a great distance from a nomad to pedal, but guaranteed to handle everything in it's path...even true DH comp.

    Good stuff
    I dont know, but I did have a friend put a DHX Air on an Uzzi. Maybe I can get him to chime in.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by goridewrx
    I dont know, but I did have a friend put a DHX Air on an Uzzi. Maybe I can get him to chime in.
    I had a fifth element cvt5 on my Uzzi ,it felt very squishy.I could have purchased a stiffer spring ,it might have helped,but I decided to go with the Dhx air.The fox is super tuneable,it feels bottomless,granted the biggest drop I've done was four feet to a flat,but it felt like butter.With the air shock it pedals better,feels like a cross country bike that can do it all.I have an extra Dhx air 8.5x2.5 for sale if you are interested.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTreadOnMe
    NO! Absolutely not.

    Look at something like a Chris King or a FSA PIG they have bigger cups I think and may give you the clearance you desire.
    Eh, yeah, I'm retarded. I thought I saw some fix for a similar problem with the small intense 6.6's in the intense forum, but I can't seem to find it now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    729

    nice

    Sweet thanks for the build photos. That thing is sooo damn cool. You should give it a review after some rides. I like the coil. Fox needs a couple more seasons w/ the air thing it is still too soon for me to trust it. I'd like to hear a weight for it too if you can get one.


    Enjoy.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129
    ALL DONE







    Everyone's excited!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goridewrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    129
    took the thing around today on the maiden voyage. i am very impressed! now i REALLY cant wait until bike season is in full swing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •