mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Smack dab inbetween M & L on TRc and can't try locally

I've PM'd one or two SC owners, but wanted to throw a blanket out for more input; nothing against those two who took the time to reply. One even offered to spin around on his Large TRc with 650b wheels, but for me it takes a long time of trail riding to get dialed in on my own components let alone a friendly mtbr member's personalized ride.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" pant inseam. SC's site has me smack dab between Medium and Large. Santa Cruz Bicycles

Most of my bikes are "medium" with the exception of an Ibis Mojo carbon which was recommended I go Large size for its 23.6" effective top tube. Combined with the SA and HA the bike was a natural fit.

The Jet 9 RDO I briefly played with in store fit great in the medium with its 23.6 ETT.

Last bike was 2011 Anthem X1 26er with ETT of 23.4 inches. A very neutral feel with a slight bias toward XC instead of "trail". I place an emphasis on climbing with all my bikes it seems.

Current hardtail is 17.5" Specialized 29er with 100mm stem set at -8 and a few spacers. Horizontal TT is 23.3 but actual is a short 22.4. It requires a Thomson setback post and the stem is low which I prefer for the climbing prowess of the bike. A 90mm stem is too short no matter where I put it with my 680mm bars. The 19" model was way too large.

Of course all the little things of spacers, stem, bar, post, saddle etc makes a huge difference but this sizing issue with Santa Cruz has me posting.

The ongoing search for a lightweight fast trail bike still has the TRc in the hunt (my lack of seat time on VPP and the bob presumably experienced in the smaller ring of the 2x10 has me on the fence). I'd go 650b for sure. Sat on a medium TRc at the LBS and it felt tiny!!! Toptube is 23 inches. Employee told me a medium with 70 stem and bar is how most set it up. Really??? Don't remember what the owner had for stem, bar, etc., but it felt like a small bike and unlikely to be comfy as an aggressive trail bike that was stretched out enough to climb for long spells.

The Large TRc has a 24 inch toptube. The longest of any bike I've ever owned. And that "scares" me owning a bike that may be too large. But the employee of another shop said "we don't have one here but I bet a Large would be the ticket....did you know 7 out of 10 are on a bike too small?"

So what say you who are/were somewhat in my situation: Large with 50-70mm stem and straight post......or Medium with setback post + 100mm stem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Big frame, little stem.

I'm about your size and I've been running large Santa Cruz frames for ages. Currently have a large NomadC and TRc - both with 50mm stems.

mtbr member
    Go with a large. Especially if you will be doing a lot of climbing. You don't want to be cramped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejoel View Post
    Big frame, little stem.

I'm about your size and I've been running large Santa Cruz frames for ages. Currently have a large NomadC and TRc - both with 50mm stems.
    I did this with my Nomad and it was workable but after a while I couldn't tolerated the medium so I went to the small and I haven't looked back. Its such an individual thing on how people like their bikes. I am paying the price and have a medium Nomad 2 that I can't sell. You should have this poster measure his reach and and a few other things to see how close you are.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Welcome in club Why they do not make ML

I am 5 10.5 and literally torn between L and M. Just posted, by the way, in TR picture thread. So If I go M that would require ~100-110mm stem, If I go L presume ~80mm at maximum.

Apparently your riding style is similar to what I am doing. I need all day in mountains bike, no jumps, no big air revolutions just a lot of fast climbing + comfortable descending, with significant height gain/loss in day.

Now, as per REACH - Med frame is 400mm (forks a2c 501mm) and 409mm (atc 481mm) while Large is 422 and 432 respectively - FYI.

What keeps me afraid, if I go large, is WHEELBASE - seems huge. My current BLT2 is Large + 90mm stem + 685mm handlebars and this gives natural but rather not-toooo-long cockpit. Honestly BLT2 set up is shorter in cockpit, compared to my HT, by ~20mm.

If you figure out what to get - be so kind and let me know, this drives me crazy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    and, as per comparison, Medium scott spark is 423 - 429mm in reach (depends on shock setup), and they sell mediums with 80mm stem.
    New Sparks are not only pure XC machines, they are 120mm travel since this year, see geo here: Spark 40 - SCOTT Sports

perhaps any clue for us?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have the same problem. I'm 5'10" and have riden a medium classic blur, a medium LT, a medium nomad and my current ride a medium LTc Is now 3 yrs old. I did at one stage have a large chameleon and it felt great.

I ride XC but at 200 Ibs thought I might be too heavy for an XC carbon so I bought the LTc. The TRC now seems perfect. My LTc is equipped with a Thomson setback post and a 110mm stem. I would have liked to try a dropper post but I need the additional reach that the setback post provides.

Should I go large on the TRc?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Interesting, and it reminds me of a spin on a 2012 Scott Scale 29 Expert. Has a 23.6" TT but had to put a 90mm stem to feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by osobny View Post
    and, as per comparison, Medium scott spark is 423 - 429mm in reach (depends on shock setup), and they sell mediums with 80mm stem.
    New Sparks are not only pure XC machines, they are 120mm travel since this year, see geo here: Spark 40 - SCOTT Sports

perhaps any clue for us?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I place an emphasis on climbing with all my bikes it seems.

. Sat on a medium TRc at the LBS and it felt tiny!!!
    seems like youre answering your question in the original post. If a TRc with 70mm stem felt 'tiny', to you, I cant imagine throwing a 110 stem on there will make it feel big enough for you to love it. Plus, with your emphasis on climbing, seems pretty obvious you oughta be on a large. Seems most people at your size run larges, unless they come from a DH or BMX background. For an all-aroudn trailbike, I think large is definitely the way to go.

Disclaimer - Im 5'11, 32 inch inseam and have a large BLTc, currently running a 90mm stem. If I really need to throw my bike around, I have a dropper post. I cant imagine riding around on a medium LTc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm 5'11" with monkey arms and legs, and on a large TRc. I couldn't imagine being on a medium, it'd be way too small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    that's what I would do!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The TRc with the 70mm stem was the recommendation of a LBS employee. That's how his is set up. I believe his background is DH, he's about 5'10" and told me a medium with 70mm stem was the "new way" to set bikes up, not the "old school" way I am supposedly doing it. Their bike which I sat on was a customer's and had an unknown stem size, but the bar was narrow and the saddle height not set up for me.

Okay, sounds like a Large frame with short stem and wide bar is the way to go. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    seems like youre answering your question in the original post. If a TRc with 70mm stem felt 'tiny', to you, I cant imagine throwing a 110 stem on there will make it feel big enough for you to love it. Plus, with your emphasis on climbing, seems pretty obvious you oughta be on a large. Seems most people at your size run larges, unless they come from a DH or BMX background. For an all-aroudn trailbike, I think large is definitely the way to go.

Disclaimer - Im 5'11, 32 inch inseam and have a large BLTc, currently running a 90mm stem. If I really need to throw my bike around, I have a dropper post. I cant imagine riding around on a medium LTc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I too am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Just took a quick spin around on a local shop employee's TRc in a medium with Reverb and 70mm stem with Havoc wide carbon bar. I think a 90mm stem would be perfect for me on his setup for aggressive descending and comfortable climbing. He is thinking of going 50mm; his height is about the same as mine but I believe his background is BMX and he's a very good DH racer.

Warrior's Society
    SC bikes tend to fit small.....regardless of the numbers.

Having ridden thier bikes for 12 years.....I say get a large.....especially if your bias is more towards climbing and XC.

6' w/ 32" inseam......had a L Chameleon that was too cramped, sold it for an XL....fit perfect.
    Had a L Heckler that was great for jumping an DH, but felt like a gorilla on a circus bike......solvit for a XL fit great.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

sinner
    Jan 2007
    5'11 with a 30 inch inseam. Lrg TRc w/ a reverb and a 70mm stem. Feels fine to me.
    Had a LT2 in lrg with a zero offset post and a 90mm stem on it before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    The TRc with the 70mm stem was the recommendation of a LBS employee. That's how his is set up. I believe his background is DH, he's about 5'10" and told me a medium with 70mm stem was the "new way" to set bikes up, not the "old school" way I am supposedly doing it. Their bike which I sat on was a customer's and had an unknown stem size, but the bar was narrow and the saddle height not set up for me.

Okay, sounds like a Large frame with short stem and wide bar is the way to go. Thanks!!
    if thats all the justification he can make for you, Im not too sure how seriously I would take his advice anyways. i think large with a shortish stem is definitely the way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    6'0" with 32" inseam, slightly long torso, and long arms (dress shirt sleeve length 36"). I have a L TRc and L Tallboy.

I have been told by people at Santa Cruz Bikes that bike fitting is primarily a matter of top tube length (reach does factor in, as does inseam). TRc medium frame top tube length is 23". TRc large frame top tube length is 24".

Consider your favorite bikes over the years that have fit you best, find out what their top tube lengths are, and let that help guide your decision.

You will love the TRc! My size L with stock SPXxc kit (without dropper post) is 25.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It is reach (horizontal distance between bb and top of head tube), not top tube length, that really determines fitting, because the reach takes into account varying seat angles (and by extension, fore/aft adjustment of the saddle for proper pedaling). Two bikes with the same tt, one has a 71 deg seat angle, one has a 73 deg seat angle, the one with the 73 seat angle will fit larger (will have a longer reach, by about an inch) and the saddle will be set that much further back on the rails to get proper pedaling position (end of knee above pedal spindle at 3 oclock). The importance of reach in fitting becomes most noticeable when you are riding out of the saddle, descending, standup climbing, using body english, etc. Of course reach can be finagled with by changing stem length (and bar height/spacers under the stem)
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am the same size as you and owned 2 generations of medium Hecklers that always felt a little short on longer XC rides.....last year got a Blur XCc, in a large, which has the same 24" ETT as the TRc. I run wider bars, and a 70mm stem, and wonder how I got by riding mediums for so long....go Large, with shorter stem.

Rider of Berms
    I'm 5'10", 32" inseam, and have a medium TRc. Love it, it is my favorite trail bike I've ever had. I've been running a 70mm stem & 28" bars, but just changed it to 29.5" bars and a 50mm stem. The medium works just fine, and handles great. However, since I also have a Nomad and Driver 8, (both size medium) but I don't need a mini all mountain bike and have been thinking about selling my medium to get a large. I sat on one with almost the exact build as mine and had a major twinge of regret.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in the same boat as you but in the Small to Medium category. My decision was to go with the bigger frame and a shorter stem. If I went with a smaller frame and a longer stem, then I'd have too much weight over, actually past, the front wheel.

mtbr member
    @Westin- the SC Demo will be in Boise this weekend I think... Might be a good time to check out both sizes of TRc.

mtbr member
    Yep, large frame short stem. The worst thing you can do is have a frame that is to short. It's so uncomfortable.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm 5'9" 30"ish inseam and a ride a medium BLT with a 60mm stem, started with a 90mm stem and it was perfect size, but i prefer the feel/steering of the shorter stem, so i run that. but it's a bit cramped, kinda thinking i wish i would have gotten a large, and if i ever upgrade, i'll probably end up with a large.