Thread: Slacker Nomad 2

Pin it

Slacker Nomad 2

I want to make my Nomad II slacker, and was considering an angleset, but found much cheaper offset bushings eg. Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

I was wondering if anyone has used offset bushings and if it affected the suspension performance.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Lightly salted
    Those look interesting! I wonder if it would change the bottom bracket height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantR View Post
    I want to make my Nomad II slacker, and was considering an angleset, but found much cheaper offset bushings eg. Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

I was wondering if anyone has used offset bushings and if it affected the suspension performance.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
    I think most people go with an angleset for a good reason

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Those look interesting! I wonder if it would change the bottom bracket height?
    It would lower the BB for sure because you are shortening the i2i by a few mm.

mtbr member
    Angleset will steepen the seat tube, Those bushings will slacken it. Might make a difference in your seated peddle position.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flyxaos View Post
    Angleset will steepen the seat tube, Those bushings will slacken it. Might make a difference in your seated peddle position.
    that's a good point. I like a steep seat tube angle.

Pin it
    I didn't really think about the seat tube. I definitely want a steeper seat tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thought of putting my findings here too - old thread, but this info wont get old though.

I installed Works components Angleset -1 degree to my Nomad. I Started to think how will it affect into dimensions of Nomad (and any bike actually, since only changing component is fork). I modelled a simple line drawing with CAD and found the actual effect of the -1 angleset to bikes dimensions:

Firstly I want to say these are based on M size Nomad mk2, dimensions are converted to mm from inches announced in geometry chart in Santa Cruz web page. I use Fox VAN 36 AC: 545.3mm.

Since I do not own CC Angleset, I dont know if it angles fork in relation of bottom bearing cup (kimbal) or in relation of center of headtube. Works Components headset does the latter as bottom cup offsets forward and top cup backwards. The first dimensions are for fork angled in realtion of center of headtube:

WB (or to be accurate, Front Centre): +9.6mm
    BB: -1.6mm

If Angleset angles the fork in relation to bottom bearing cup:

WB/ FC: +8.7mm
    BB: -1.6mm (drops slightly less than earlier, but difference is tiny)

Both cases seat angle steepens about 0.2 degrees (again difference is within tenths of a degrees). If excact figures are needed I can write them, but its splitting hair...

Thought this was usefull for people wondering those figures...
    Last edited by Stiga; 01-14-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Seat angle & BB height corrected, sorry for mistake

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I looked into this a month ago. I currently run an angleset so I have a 66.5* HA. I wanted to keep that HA but drop the BB a bit, so I was going to put a regular headset in and throw some i2i offset shock reducers in.

I found out that by doing a 2mm offset on both sides and a regular headset in would result in a 66.5* HA and a BB that was lowered by 0.22". Awesome right?

Not so fast. Two issue. First is that you cannot mount a DHX RC4 to the forward shock mount with an offset shock bushing. No clearance. Ok with the Float RP23 or CTD.

Second (and larger) issue. On the second gen nomad the leverage ratio (opposite of shock rate) increases slightly at the end of travel. So basically the shock gets easier to compress for the last ~8mm of travel. Not a lot, not enough to notice.

But when you decrease the i2i of the shock, you are essentially advancing the suspension travel by 4mm of shock compression. So with a 4mm reduction, when your shock is fully uncompressed the suspension is in the same location as not having an i2i reducer on and the shock being 4mm compressed.

The issue comes in at the end of the travel. With a 4mm i2i reduction, when you are bottomed out your suspension is in the location as if your non-reduced shock was 4mm past bottom out! So on the VPP2 system you end up with the shock becoming way easier to compress in the last 15mm of travel. Not good - would lead to a harsh harsh bottom out.

I talked to Garen over at SC and he did not suggest it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slacker Nomad 2-screen-shot-2012-11-25-7.33.21-pm.png