mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Slacker = better Tallboy Carbon custom setup

Thought I would give my Tallboy Carbon some new life and replaced a few parts on the bike.

I started with the shock and installed a new 2015 Rockshox Monarch RT3, this shock is a great improvement over the Fox shock. The Monarch has the nice plush movement of the Fox but has better platform and dampening.

Next was I installed a Works 1 degree fixed headset and some 2015 Rockshox Reba RL 120mm Forks. I swapped out the RL damper on the forks to non-remote RLT as I did not like the remote on the RL.

With the Rockshox 120mm forks this slackens the head tube to 70 degrees and seat tube to 72. Having run a 120mm fork previously on this bike I found this setup favoured downhill but climbing wasn't as great and sharp steep uphill corners were sometimes a struggle.

With the 120mm fork and the Works Headset, this slackened the bike headtube to 69 degrees, it lowered the front end and steepened the seat tube back to 73 degrees.

Having tested the bike with this setup I must say this has drastically improved the capability of the bike, not only does it climb better now but it also rides down better and corners far better. The bike is slightly longer now (I initially thought I wouldn't notice this but I do) and the bike feels far more stable at high speed and rails corners better than it ever did.

I am pretty blown away by how much this small change has transformed this bike thus posting up here.

The other new thing I did to the bike was add X1 11 speed - this was a nice but fairly unexciting upgrade.Slacker = better Tallboy Carbon custom setup-0n5c3686.jpgSlacker = better Tallboy Carbon custom setup-0n5c3687.jpgSlacker = better Tallboy Carbon custom setup-0n5c3688.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Looks fantastic - thanks for sharing!

Warrior's Society
    I basically did the same thing....but used a 140mm fork instead.

Still climbs well and is so much fun on the downs.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice rig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    We have a 5010 in the family also and having ridden both I found that my Tallboy without the changes made here was a similar match though not as playful and a better climber. Now I am finding my Tallboy with the changes is an even closer match for playfulness but still being a better climber. I would love to see what this bike would be like with a Pike on it.

And I hate to admit it but this bike is faster than my Bronson (down too) on my local trails, though my Bronson is more forgiving.

MTB B'dos
    Which Works headset did you get, not seeing a ZS44/EC49 listed?I found this, but either the image is wrong or their literature is wrong, because the image is showing a ZS top cup and EC lower.

.....and some decent wheels instead of the noodle CRESTs, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    ....... I would love to see what this bike would be like with a Pike on it.

And I hate to admit it but this bike is faster than my Bronson (down too) on my local trails, though my Bronson is more forgiving.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm using a EC44/EC49 headset

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Nice! I find the Tallboy slightly out of balance with a 120mm fork. I might have to try an angleset. Great post.

mtbr member

Slacker = better Tallboy Carbon custom setup

I've been thinking about doing this too. Thanks for posting this. Good info.

mtbr member
    I have a 140 Pike on my Tallboy and IMHO it changed the bike for the better. I have no issues climbing and the bike feels much more stable slackened out. The upgrade was well worth the investment.
    2015 SC Tallboy C
    2013 SC TRC
    2014 Heckler
    2014 Bronson C

Not smart enough to shift
    Looks great! What size frame, and can you measure the wheelbase as it sits now?

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Nice! I find the Tallboy slightly out of balance with a 120mm fork. I might have to try an angleset. Great post.
    Same here........I originally purchased my TB with a 120mm Fox Float and almost sold the bike because I didn't like the way it handled. The fork was with was a standard offset...would like to try it with a 51mm offset with 120mm.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I am going to see if Push Industries can drop the fork to 115mm and I need to do something with the bars. The 51mm offset might help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I recently put together a tbc1 with a revelation set at 140. It climbed fin, but pushed a little to much in the turns for me and feels flexy. I've since moved it to 120 and the handling feels much better. Thinking of picking up a pike and setting it at 120 now. Just need to figure out what offset to use. I don't know what offset my 2012 revelation is since I picked it up used. I'm guessing it's not 51mm offset.

The angleset seems like an interesting idea, but I'm already worried I'm trying to turn my tallboy into my nomad which isn't really what I want to do.

PS: Nice looking bike vert1. I like the blacked out RS shocks vs. the kashima/tan colors of other shocks.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    This is my plan as well but I was on the wall about a 1 or a 1.5 degree headset. I guess 1 degree is the way to go based on the info in this thread. I also want to put a 120mm pike on the tallboy just like a few other peeps on here.
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    This is my plan as well but I was on the wall about a 1 or a 1.5 degree headset. I guess 1 degree is the way to go based on the info in this thread. I also want to put a 120mm pike on the tallboy just like a few other peeps on here.
    Do you know what fork offset you'll go with?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I will be looking at the 51mm offset version. It should help keep the bike peppy when I'm on tighter trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wouldnt the offset fork just make the bike longer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Wouldnt the offset fork just make the bike longer?
    It does, but it also reduces the trail which quickens the steering feel or something like that. Art's Cyclery Blog » Ask a Mechanic: 29er Forks – 46mm or 51mm Offset?

SC recommends a standard offset fork, even at 120 apparently. Not sure if the use of an angleset would change that.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Vert1, while the wheelbase is longer its less than 1% longer and that will not make any difference. Where the additional offset like westeast said is with the trail, also it will offset the wheel quicker to the left and right when turning which will quicken the steering noticeably.

westeast, no where does santacruz recommend one offset or the other. they do spec their bikes with a 46mm offset but that is because most people ride the tallboy exclusively XC and would like the less twitchy bike. I ride my tallboy pretty hard and its my only mountain bike that I traded a Nomad in for as I was just as fast down hill but much faster on the ups (I know, crazy right?) the slacker head angle and 51mm offset should modernize the geo a bit to more of a solid trail bike which is the way I ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I asked SC tech support and they said they recommend a 46 offset, but that either would work fine.

I like the idea of the quicker handling so I may try the pike at 120 with 51 offset rather than the standard offset.