mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sizing Blur LT (Classic)

Hey folks,
    Wondering what size SC Blur LT Classic would fit me. Trying to buy one online. I'm 5'9.5", 32" inseam. Two Santa Cruz folks have told me that I'm probably a medium, but I've yet to actually sit on a bike. I'd appreciate more perspectives. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam and I ride a large, I felt the medium was way too short top tupe wise.

mtbr member

Tough Call

Quote Originally Posted by oeprof
    Hey folks,
    Wondering what size SC Blur LT Classic would fit me. Trying to buy one online. I'm 5'9.5", 32" inseam. Two Santa Cruz folks have told me that I'm probably a medium, but I've yet to actually sit on a bike. I'd appreciate more perspectives. Thanks!!
    Sounds like you may have longer legs and a shorter torso. Definitely try to swing a leg over the medium and the large to see which feels better for the type of riding you plan to be doing. I am 6'0" with a 31.5" inside leg (barefoot to the top side of a book firmly wedged in place). I find the large works well for me. From a cockpit perspective, the difference between the large and the medium is 1" in top tube and 1" in seat tube length.

Good luck on the sizing. I love my BLT and the prices on old model are sweet with everyone wanting the new one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I'm running to my local bike shop now...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The standover height on the medium and large BLT classic is 30.6". I don't think this is going to be the issue, the issue would be with the stretch and the added 1.1" of wheel base. If you go with the medium and things are a bit cramped you can always get a longer stem to move things around; also you will probably have an easier time pointing the bike where you want to go. If you don't think the added wheelbase will give you trouble maneuvering the bike where you want it to go, then just make sure you feel comfortable with the longer stretch position the large will put you in when in the saddle.

The crossover height on the BLT2 between Medium and Large is 5'10"; I am at the crossover height for Small/Medium. I called SC, they told me to go with the small and gave me the food for thought I have given you above. I went with the small BLT2 and love it!
    Last edited by Mr__T; 09-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This is really helpful, folks. I'm thinking the medium might be the way to go, especially after hearing Mr T's advice. (The bike shop basically had the same advice for me.)

Thanks again...

If there are others with more perspectives, feel free to share.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 5'9'' and 32'' inseam. I ride a med BLT. Fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    okay...thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Didn't mean to imply that standover would be the issue, only that a demo ride would give the op a better handle on the cockpit. The smaller cockpit of the medium might be more comfortable if you have a relatively shorter torso. I agree with Mr. T, the shorter wheelbase on the medium will give you a more manoverable bike, depends on the type of riding you are planning to do. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    no sweat....but, thanks for the additional clarification.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm with you Toasted BLT, the best way to find out is a test ride. I just wanted to provide the facts on the standover height for added info, in addition to my conversation with SC. I also agree with you that it really depends on the riding you do. If you are going more XC you would probably benefit from the longer frame which will stretch you out to a lower more road bike riding position and give you more glide on the flats. If you are leaning to more of a AM/freeride bike the shorter frame will be a bit more nimble and easier to control. Seems like if you are on the cusp of sizing both SC and bike shops tend to lean to the smaller option.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasted BLT
    Didn't mean to imply that standover would be the issue, only that a demo ride would give the op a better handle on the cockpit. The smaller cockpit of the medium might be more comfortable if you have a relatively shorter torso. I agree with Mr. T, the shorter wheelbase on the medium will give you a more manoverable bike, depends on the type of riding you are planning to do. Good luck.

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    How long of stem do you want to run?
    Lg might need 70-90mm
    Med might need 105+mm
    Also depends if you are using a straight post like Thompson or a post that has some
    offset built into the saddle mount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i was just about to make the same post so i will add to this one
    i am 6' 1" 188lbs 33" inseam
    L or XL?
    i currently ride gf hifi pro large 19" and feel its a tad small

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the additional thoughts everyone. I test rode a Blur XC yesterday at my LBS (they know I'm looking at internet bikes), and they suggested a medium. And, frankly, the medium felt better. Though, my seat was sure high...as high as the handlebars...though guess that's normal. (I haven't really mtn biked since the early 90s.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
    i was just about to make the same post so i will add to this one
    i am 6' 1" 188lbs 33" inseam
    L or XL?
    i currently ride gf hifi pro large 19" and feel its a tad small
    I'd say Large