Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Finally!

Seems like there was a little delay in getting tapered 120's from fox, but it's all good. Weather is getting better and was able to take it for a nice ride Tuesday. So far I'm really impressed. Will post up thoughts after a few more rides. Looks sweet! Waiting on mntn king 2.4 for front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tb2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

scrapes

I have already scraped both side of the rear triangle by the grease ports, anyone else done this? were the bottom bolts are. I just put some tape on them and carry on if the carbon fiber frame can take it from me your all safe I brake everything!!! hahaha
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Man FTR you have a nice bike stable by now.

This bike is gonna be a nice one.

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu
    I have already scraped both side of the rear triangle by the grease ports, anyone else done this? were the bottom bolts are. I just put some tape on them and carry on if the carbon fiber frame can take it from me your all safe I brake everything!!! hahaha
    Same here, only somehow I only managed to scrape the non drive side. Like you, I sure hope that the carbon in that location is somewhat impact resistant.

I think I've narrowed down which log is the culprit... need to work a little more finess getting over it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Scrapes

I been really wrecking this bike this weekend I took another fall I am really not that bad of a rider but getting used to the bike has def been hard on my body! Oh not a scrape on the bike I can say its really tough I hope my spills stop though

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My XL Tallboy:

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg

Without getting into any arguments about weight, I can tell you it's pretty damn light. But, more importantly it rides even better than it looks

Insanity later
    Looks Great Frame. I'm curious how tall you are. I'm debating between the XL and XXL. Your frame looks well proportioned for your height. Guessing it's around 26 pounds but like you say it's light, that's all I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frame
    My XL Tallboy:

Without getting into any arguments about weight, I can tell you it's pretty damn light. But, more importantly it rides even better than it looks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi Serenity. I am 1.95m or 6'4". The XL feels right for me. As for the weight, I used the scale at my LBS today which confirmed my crude bathroom scale: 22lb 13oz, or 10.33 kg. With pedals and sealant.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc03167.jpg

The build, if you're interested:
    XL frame with Fox suspension. 100mm fork
    Chris King headset
    Easton Monkeylite SL bar
    Titec pluto x-lite stem
    XTR shifters with Yumeya cables
    Formula R1 brakes 160mm floating rotors F/R
    Titec pork rind grips
    XTR crankset with 180mm cranks
    XTR cassette
    KMC SL9 chain
    Stans crow tyres 2.0
    Stans 355 rims
    alloy nipples
    DT Aerolite spokes
    DT 240s front hub
    DT 190 rear hub
    4ti eggbeaters
    Thomson masterpiece layback 350mm (at its limit)
    Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio saddle
    Last edited by Frame; 03-23-2010 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

crazy light

I never tought i would see an xl 22 pound 29er, that is insane. How are the 355 stans? I have the arches on my build and wanted some lighter wheels but I was not sure the 355 would take the pounding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu
    I never tought i would see an xl 22 pound 29er, that is insane. How are the 355 stans? I have the arches on my build and wanted some lighter wheels but I was not sure the 355 would take the pounding.
    I'm also not sure! So far so good. I've only been on 4 rides on the bike. Did a 2 hr ride on the weekend with a few rock gardens and things, but nothing scary. I have had 190 hubs and aerolite spokes on a HiFi for some time, so I'm confident with them. Difference is those wheels have Edge rims which I suspect are way stiffer and stronger than the 355's. I change tires often though, and I really battle to run the Edges tubeless. A real PITA as far as that goes. I decided to give the 355's a try. Very light and more practical than the Edges. I build my own wheels, and I spent more time getting these perfect than I have ever spent before. I tensioned them [B]slightly[B] tighter than Stans recommend (10%) and they turned out well. They feel pretty stiff, and I'm sure they'll be OK. I'll be sure to report back if I taco one. If I survive... I'm 200 lbs BTW
    One thing I can tell you is that this bike is a HUGE step up in performance from the HiFi which I also built up really light. The Tallboy is awesome, I'm sure you'd agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Cool I want to build another wheelset with 355s and american classic hubs so I might do it thanks for the info. I was riding a Sjumpumer 29er before the TB and I am really enjoying mine as well.

mtbr member

Race/Crash video

My Tallboy on it's first race - and a little crash.
    http://www.cyclingtrek.org/video/Coyote%20Classic.wmv

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi

Were you able to retrieve your Garmin?
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Were you able to retrieve your Garmin?

I didnít notice it was missing until I crossed the finish line. Lucky for me there were some honest people that returned it to me when I went back to the where I crashed.

Rides XXLTallboy
    Mar 2010
    Stock XT set up for the most part. Gravity DX headset w/ Easton stem @ 130. I run a 120mm fork--it's a XXL, tires are FR3 team issue Bontrags. Wgt 28.6, no complaints, solid bike for jamming around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Tallboy Rxc Build

Well, my intent was to get the middle build package of the Tallboy (SPXxc), but my LBS had a 10%-off sale this weekend and only had the entry-level Rxc build in stock, so I couldnít resist. I hadnít seen any photos of this build, so Iíve posted some here if anyone is interested. One curious exception to the basic build was that mine came with the RP23 instead of Monarch shock. Dunno if there are supply issues for the Monarch.

My questionably accurate bathroom scale shows 28.2lbs with pedals, so the diet is about to begin, with an Easton EA90 bar and Thomson Masterpiece seatpost on the way, and Iíll change the cassette to XT and pedals to Eggbeaters. This should save a little over a pound. The hunt is also on for a lighter wheelset, and Iíll go tubeless. At 135lbs Iím hoping for a very light set suitable for XC/endurance racing as well as every day use. Iíll be curious as to how much weight new wheels and tubeless will shed. Iíve budgeted $750 for the wheelset, and suggestions are welcome.

Initial thoughts on the ride: I wonít pretend that my appreciation of the Tallboy compared to other bikes is especially nuanced as I am coming from a 26Ē hardtail, so itís dramatically different in several ways. Iíve only put about 5 hours on it so far, but the first thought that comes to mind is ďeffortlessĒ. While you can feel the impact of the big wheels and bike length on steering (4Ē longer than my 26Ē), it still feels very agile. And the big wheels and suspension just gobble up the trail. Climbing and descending obstacles, pedaling through rock gardens, and the speed I can carry through all of it is pretty impressive. The only negatives Iíve experienced so far was some chainsuck (mucky conditions), occasional pedal strikes, and the stock bars being too wide for twisty wooded singletrack. Also, for a rider of my size (5í7Ē), the bars arenít low enough for me. Iíll swap to a steeper angled stem and flip it, but thereís risk of damaging the toptube during a crash as the bars wonít clear it. Iíll post further thoughts as I log more time on it, but for now Iím all grins.

Cheers,
    Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie4; 04-21-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: photos weren't showing up, so I re-attached

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Wheelset for your weight with your budget I would go with stans 355 hubs american classic hubs, that wheelset is prolly 1550 grams, and pretty stiff. You could go with lighter rims even do to your weight like the crest rims at 370 grams but I like a little more durability. Hope that helps. My TB is currently at 23.6 pounds with nothing crazy as far as parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi
    Bit of a bump but 2:25 really put a smile on my face. Yeah baby! Thats probably the most enjoyable race video I've seen. Props!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nearly done.
    Just need to cut the steerer and bleed the front brake (I have a feeling that Spencer may have spent some time squeezing the lever without a rotor in place).

Build is:
    XL Tallboy frame with Santa Cruz seatclamp
    Fox F29 with taper steerer and FIT cartridge
    Cane Creek XXIX taper headset
    Thomson X4 stem
    KCNC SC Bones bar
    Formula K18 brakes with Straitline levers
    XTR shifters
    Jetblack lock on grips (waiting on ESI chunkies)
    XTR crankset (waiting on new outboard bearing Middleburns)
    XT front and XTR rear derailleur
    XTR pedals
    XT cassette (11-34)
    Silver Hope hubs laced to Stans Arch rims with DT Swiss Competition spokes
    Salsa Rasta skewers
    Thomson Elite seatpost with ti bolt kit.
    WTB Silverado saddle
    For those of you who are interested, saddle to bar drop is approx 2".

mtbr member
    This baby's not mine, but I got to test ride it at the Santa Cruz Demo.

Santa Cruz Bronson - Santa Cruz Highball - Ibis Mojo HD3 on order!

mtbr member
    +1 Tallboy in Switzerland. Ready to rock the alps!

XL, 27 lbs

mtbr member
    Looks fantastic, adequate for the Alps.

Now I need one delivered to Germany
    (although I need to save a little $ first)

Greetings Znarf

TR
    Angry bunny
    Now done:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Got this a few weeks ago and now have a few races and a lot of rides on it and couldn't be happier. Such a huge step up from my bendy old 26'er. The frame is great, the fork with the X-Loc is perfect, and the rest of the parts are pretty much flawless. I'm not any faster but it's a damn fun bike!!

XL frame with RS Monarch
    RS Reba XX 120mm with X-Loc, tapered steerer and Maxle
    XX drivetrain with DoubleTap shifters (not the best for MTB but they work)
    Avid Elixr CR Carbon (203/160) with XX rear disc (bent the stock disc)
    Mavic C29SSMAX

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here is my new ride. Just finished building it on Friday, rode it Friday afternoon, and then raced it Saturday. I had just hosed it off before taking these pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-angle-2.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-side-2.jpg  

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast