Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1121
    mtbr member
    Got mine put together just in time for a few intense thunderstorms to roll through. Wonder how many kittens I kicked in a past life to warrant that karma.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    Love reading through this thread, so many variations and great builds. Nearly a year since building this I finally got around to putting it on a scale and it came in at 28.3 lbs, pretty good for the following build I recon:
    • Large frame with Fox 34 float fork reduced to 120mm, cytoe guard
    • Wheel set - lb stronger wider carbon rims, king hubs - 15LD front/142 rear, 2mm straight gauge spokes, brass nipples, gorilla tape, 2.3 s-works purg front/2.1 ground control rear (captain pictured wore out), 2 red cups stans each end
    • XT brakes with 180 rotors
    • XT shifters, 2x10, gore sealed cables, xt front mech and xtr shadow plus rear
    • kmc sl chain
    • sixc cranks, turbine chain rings, hope ceramic bb, xt trail pedals
    • sixc bar, turbine 60mm stem, king headset and esi chunky grips
    • Joplin post, wtb rocket v saddle

latest setup

It's a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    ^^^ I've got mine built up similar as a do-it-all trail bike. I love it. It's such a versatile bike. Solo after work rides, local rides with the guys, 50 mi all day exploring, shuttle days, family rides. This bike does it all well.
    Same here. Mine is full XT with the 34mm Fox at 120, same tires Blacklite Dropper and Hope 2 Evos with FlowEx
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Congrats. That is the best SC color scheme of all. Im trying to find reasons to "upgrade" mine for another bike but everytime I ride it I change my mind.

mtbr member
    Got about twenty miles of dirt under the wheels on this thing since getting it on Friday. Got to say that I made the right choice on which bike to buy.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?

The 2.
    5.00 lbs. large w/ shock and seat collar.
    -G
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373463783.656091.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    nice!

mtbr member
    Nice painting on these new ones. Congrats

Here's mine after some trail ripping in Polish and Czech mountains. Has proven nearly perfect.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-jo732_20130705_140258.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    The 2.
    5.00 lbs. large w/ shock and seat collar.
    -G
    Very nice! Just ordered my med matte black TB2c frame today. How long did it take to get yours?

BK

mtbr member
    Quick. It was direct from SCB. I am building it now.

The only hang ups so far are:
    1. I failed to notice the cable housing is full run so I had to run to the LBS to get some.
    2. The DM front der is 2x10 and it hits the seat tube before I can adjust the limiter to clear the chain in granny.

G

mtbr member

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?

Finished the build, 26.23 lbs. w/ pedals, dropper post, very big tires and a bottle cage and a boat anchor Fox fork. Not bad. I'll get some pictures up when I have some worthy ones.
    G

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Quick. It was direct from SCB.
    I'm jealous - just got a call today from my LBS saying my frame won't ship until Sept.

BK

mtbr member
    Ouch. Mine was a warranty replacement from a cracked TB1c, I don't know if the 2 is actually released. I rode it yesterday. It was pretty spectacular. Slightly less pedal/suspension feedback in granny, even with propedal off. The gear issue I had on the stand disappeared on trail. No rub in the granny, no front der/seat tube interference. The seat tube is shorter though so I have to get a new seat post. Mine was at max extension on the old frame so I was too low on this one.
    Hopefully it will be worth the wait for you.
    G

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Loved my Tallboy AL so much, I decided to upgrade to the 2013 carbon.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-img_0439.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-img_0436.jpg

Weight - 26.5 lbs
    Nancy LB rims laced to DT Swiss 350's
    Schwalbe Nobby Nics
    AKA Crank with 30T Bling Ring
    1X10 XTR shifters, XT Rear D, XT chain
    SLX Brakes
    Thomson seatpost
    Easton EC 70 Carbon bars
    Spez Phenom saddle
    VP Vice flat pedals
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Beautiful. I love my Tallboy Aluminum as well, so I have to know: can you tell a huge differance between the two bikes? Is it like riding a completely different bike or does it just feel like a nice upgrade? How do you like the nobby nic as a rear tire? Does it roll well? I run a 2.35 up front and love it.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    Loved my Tallboy AL so much, I decided to upgrade to the 2013 carbon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	821760
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	821762

Weight - 26.5 lbs
    Nancy LB rims laced to DT Swiss 350's
    Schwalbe Nobby Nics
    AKA Crank with 30T Bling Ring
    1X10 XTR shifters, XT Rear D, XT chain
    SLX Brakes
    Thomson seatpost
    Easton EC 70 Carbon bars
    Spez Phenom saddle
    VP Vice flat pedals

mtbr member
    Thanks Venturawest. I've only had it once out on the trails (with another wheelset) and it feels like a nice upgrade. 3 pounds lighter than the AL (2 on the frame and 1 for the wheelset). The Nobby Nics are brand new, so no feedback yet. Coming from a set of Stans FlowEX with Hope hubs, the 350's are almost silent.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Just finished my build last night and have some shots after first great ride.

Not smart enough to shift
    Contra1970, can we get a parts breakdown? Looks great! It's incredibly close to my TB build, including the polished XTR cranks. What travel fork?

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Tallboy 2 medium Matte Black / White
    Hope Pro 2 and Arch Rims
    XT Rotors 180 160
    XR4 tyres
    Hope Pick'n Mix Headset
    Rockshox Reba RL 120mm Taper 15mm QR Forks
    Syntace F109 Stem 75mm -17
    Easton EC70 MonkeyLite Bars
    Formula RX brakes
    XTR Bottom Bracket
    XTR M970 Cranks polished
    E13 XCX Chain Guide
    Shimano M786 Shadow+ RD
    Rockshox Reverb 100mm

26.5 lbs

Most of the bits off my old Superlight

mtbr member
    I see after the recent site maintenance, my tallboy pics disappeared.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by contra1970 View Post

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So this bike is more like trail/am bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not really am maybe a small bit, mainly trail. This setup is perfect for my riding in this area as we don't really have any big hills or mountains although I have done Wales on this setup with my Superlight and climbed all the mountains no problem on all day rides. Largest climb around here for 200K is only 200 meters high and I only race for fun sometimes. Don't need any more than 100mm travel around here because its so flat but as I do go to some trail centres I prefer the 120mm travel on the front and I hate front derailleurs.

Loving riding it more and more each day, had a 45k ride on Monday night and it was so much better than my old superlight 26.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I have a Superlight currently and my girlfriend has a Tallboy 1 Aluminum with an RXC kit and a 120mm travel front fork. I find I am "borrowing" hers to go riding more and more as I love how the 29er floats over things, grips in the mud, on hills and is extremely stable. I also feel way less beat up after riding it. I'm considering purchasing the Tallboy 2 in a carbon. I don't do drops larger than 2 feet and the riding I do is single track with a lot of ups and downs which I enjoy both of. The area I am in has a lot of roots and mud. I am close to the Canadian rockies, however not super interested in downhill. I'm not a daredevil and prefer mountain biking more for the fitness aspect. I usually can only get out for a couple hours a day as I have young kids but I do go very hard. I enjoy the lightness of the Superlight I have. Anyway, is the carbon Tallboy much snappier and fun than the aluminum version? Should I consider the LT or a 650b instead? Is the Tallboy more a XC/Trail bike than a pure XC bike? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kdubhinton View Post
    Anyway, is the carbon Tallboy much snappier and fun than the aluminum version? Should I consider the LT or a 650b instead? Is the Tallboy more a XC/Trail bike than a pure XC bike? Thoughts?
    The TB with a 120mm fork makes a great XC/trail bike, especially compared to something like a Specialized Epic which is much more XC race focused. You can build it with weight-weenie parts and a 100mm fork for more of an XC focus, or you could do a stouter build with a dropper post for a more trail-focused bike. It can handle your 2-foot drops just fine.

The carbon version is lighter and stiffer than the alloy version, but I wouldn't say it rides whole lot differently.

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast