Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1104
    NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    My money is on you will miss the CVA.
    Well, I finally got a solid 25 mile ride on my Tallboy (Spring has been brutal here) and I have to say that it is my favorite bike so far. I don't miss my CVA (RIP and JET) or DW-Link (Mach 429) at all. I rode the Niner's for several years, and they are great bikes for sure, and I would love try a carbon JET, RIP, or 429 sometime, but the Tallboy was a pleasure to ride the entire time. The trail I rode had a bit of everything from roots, rocks, climbing, descending, tight switchbacks, you name it. I had a smile the whole time (except when my leg's were cramping like mad). Literally the second I sat on it at the shop when I picked it up, I was in love.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Well, I finally got a solid 25 mile ride on my Tallboy (Spring has been brutal here) and I have to say that it is my favorite bike so far. I don't miss my CVA (RIP and JET) or DW-Link (Mach 429) at all. I rode the Niner's for several years, and they are great bikes for sure, and I would love try a carbon JET, RIP, or 429 sometime, but the Tallboy was a pleasure to ride the entire time. The trail I rode had a bit of everything from roots, rocks, climbing, descending, tight switchbacks, you name it. I had a smile the whole time (except when my leg's were cramping like mad). Literally the second I sat on it at the shop when I picked it up, I was in love.
    That's not possible,the Tallboy is a flexi POS according to Muzzanic. NO ONE switches from a Niner and is happy.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    That's not possible,the Tallboy is a flexi POS according to Muzzanic. NO ONE switches from a Niner and is happy.
    Ha Ha! In fact, it is not flexy at all. I have an XXL and am 210 pounds. I got one of the garage sale frames with the quick release rear, and am using a DT Swiss RWS 10mm Skewer with my Hope hubs, and I have not felt anything moving back there at all. Just got back from another 16 mile ride, still smiling!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I'm pleased that you are having fun on it.

I feel for you guys that get real bad weather & can't ride because of it, I think I'm hard done by if I miss a ride because of the weather.

mtbr member
    I have a EMD and planned to purchase a RIP9, but saw the SC online sale last fall and couldn't pass up a Tallboy AL frame for $900. It's a fantastic bike and I love riding it. Would love a carbon Tallboy, but the OEM price is way out of reach. I'll keep watching the online sale and if one turns up in my size for $1500, it will be hard to turn down.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    All built up! Have about 25 miles on her right now, and I'm diggin' it. Final assembled weight, 28lbs 11oz according to my LBS. Not too shabby for a XL frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364956744.774983.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mine's almost ready. Can't wait to get it in my hands and rip.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-wd142_20130409_162330.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think I'm good, until I change out the crankset and xt brakes for something newer

mtbr member
    May 2012

Shes almost there

I bought her last year with the bottom of the barrel build but have thrown a few upgrades at her.

Fox CTD 120mm fork
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Set of Rocket Ron TL tires (rear is snake skin)

I really havent done anything to the drive train (yet)
    But im in the triple crank or double crank delima

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-santa-cruz.jpg

Thing Maker
    Apr 2013
    Just laid down the first couple rides on my new TallboyC. The carbon is glorious.Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-2013-04-14-20.59.22.jpg

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKleroy View Post
    Just laid down the first couple rides on my new TallboyC. The carbon is glorious.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-14 20.59.22.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	790935
    Great pic, although that bad boy looks precariously close to the edge! The blue is such a great color.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tb-muddy.jpg

The race course had a few sloppy spots.

mtbr member
    Brought it to some action finally.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-xt1_536876_535274039870143_771259889_n.jpg

The bike is simply flawless, and I'm on the picky side

Snapper
    Would you recommend the Tallboy for a 6.4, 240lb big and beefie bloke. I have come off a Turner 2010 DWL Sultan which was too lounge chair for me and the trails I ride - big and cumbersome. I am looking for something more XC set up, 100mm travel, HA around 70 and trail worthy - I dont race. I would set it up with strong wheels, TA front and rear, dropper post , 120mm up front, short stem and wide bars - as an all day single track slayer

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    Would you recommend the Tallboy for a 6.4, 240lb big and beefie bloke. I have come off a Turner 2010 DWL Sultan which was too lounge chair for me and the trails I ride - big and cumbersome. I am looking for something more XC set up, 100mm travel, HA around 70 and trail worthy - I dont race. I would set it up with strong wheels, TA front and rear, dropper post , 120mm up front, short stem and wide bars - as an all day single track slayer
    I'm 225, came off 5 to 6 inch travel 26ers and this bike/29er is absolutely perfect! I do not miss/notice the extra 1 inch of travel.. I pretty much ride all the single track in northern Utah and ride down in Moab/Zion without any problems. I run it with a 120 up front and the only thing I switch up on more technical trails is my front tire.. I go from a maxxis Ikon to a ardent.

To answer your question; if you're riding mostly XC type singletrack trails with the occasional "all mountain" trail, your size is not going to be an issue at all. If you're riding more "all mountain" type trails and you're not the most agile rider I would possibly look at the Tallboy LT .. This bike is a very tough 4 inch travel bike and can handle the rough stuff surprisingly well!! All that being said, i have a few buddies who went from a Tallboy to a Tallboy LT for the extra travel and say the climbing difference is very minimal between two..

Not smart enough to shift
    JohnD, I agree completely with Utah 29er. I'm not quite as big as you two at 6' and 190, but my setup is almost exactly like you describe. 120 fork, 70mm stem, 750 bar, 2.35 Nobby Nic/2.25 Rocket Ron tires, Arch EX's on Kings, dropper post, etc. I absolutely love the Tallboy. It is just incredibly fun to ride. I too came off a 6" bike and don't miss it at all.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

Snapper
    thanks for the replies folks - heres looking out for an XXL tallboy cheap in OZ

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here's my new baby!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Tallboy

Here's my Bad boy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imag0103.jpg  

Snapper
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    thanks for the replies folks - heres looking out for an XXL tallboy cheap in OZ
    Found an XL alloy cheap - will post pics when the deal is done

mtbr member
    It's been a while, but I'm almost there with my build. I've put in some time on it, but I've still got some changes to make. I think I want to try out a 0 degree stem next. I originally had a MRP Micro chain guide and Sram grip shifters mated with an XO rear derailleur. The full chain guide wasn't for me so a switch it out last week for the 1x and clutch derailleur. Other than a broken chain yesterday it's been all good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imgp7403.jpg  

Last edited by Jamenstall; 06-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Not smart enough to shift

Still lovin'

My tallboy just got a refresh after almost a year of hanging in the garage.

I realized I had it substantially overbuilt for where I was riding it 95% of the time. The result is a quicker, more lively, more fun bike that is just as *strong* as before but with weight dropped and added in different places to get the ride I was looking for.

The major changes:
    - King hubs on Arch EX rims laced by Dave's Speed Dreams. These things are unreal. They weigh in at a touch under 1,800g with a steel freehub body and fun bolts. Don't miss my flows at all. I had actually bought the Flow EX's and Dave traded me out for the Arches after going through what I was looking for.
    - Lev drooper post. This was added after riding some local trails on my pump track bike and realizing how much fun it was to flick around without the seat in the way. Loving it so far...
    - Type 2 rear der. Soooo quiet and allowed me to switch from a full chain guide to a top mount only. I am getting a bit of a noise from it when compressing the suspension. Only two rides so far.
    - Ditched the angleset. I think if I was still out west, this would have stayed, but back in the Midwest it was too much. One of the greatest attributes on the Tallboy is its short wheelbase...I went back to a standard headset and I'll be trying one offset bushing for giggles.

Hope to get a long ride in on it next weekend at Brown County.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I bought one of the last large Tallboy (Al) frames from the Santa Cruz VPLS sale a few weeks ago and just finished the build last night. I got out on the bike this afternoon for a quick 8-mile test ride, and I'm a big fan so far. Eventually I'll try to lighten her up a little bit, but for now it's just what I wanted... a perfect compliment to my Blur LT.

Build specs:

Large Tallboy frame
    Fox 32 Float FIT RLC fork, 120m
    Fox CTD rear shock, 100mm
    Full X9 drivetrain/shifters
    WTB Frequency i19/XT wheelset
    Avid Elixir 1 brakes
    Race Face Ride XC crankset

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Love reading through this thread, so many variations and great builds. Nearly a year since building this I finally got around to putting it on a scale and it came in at 28.3 lbs, pretty good for the following build I recon:
    • Large frame with Fox 34 float fork reduced to 120mm, cytoe guard
    • Wheel set - lb stronger wider carbon rims, king hubs - 15LD front/142 rear, 2mm straight gauge spokes, brass nipples, gorilla tape, 2.3 s-works purg front/2.1 ground control rear (captain pictured wore out), 2 red cups stans each end
    • XT brakes with 180 rotors
    • XT shifters, 2x10, gore sealed cables, xt front mech and xtr shadow plus rear
    • kmc sl chain
    • sixc cranks, turbine chain rings, hope ceramic bb, xt trail pedals
    • sixc bar, turbine 60mm stem, king headset and esi chunky grips
    • Joplin post, wtb rocket v saddle

latest setup

It's a keeper.
    Last edited by eastie; 06-15-2013 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?

^^^ I've got mine built up similar as a do-it-all trail bike. I love it. It's such a versatile bike. Solo after work rides, local rides with the guys, 50 mi all day exploring, shuttle days, family rides. This bike does it all well.

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast