Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Did you have a QR or the maxle? I don't find the 15mm to be any stiffer than a maxle Reba. And I get full travel, something no Fox air has ever done for me. To each their own though.
    I had the QR. The maxle would have been a big improvement. I actually wanted a Reba for this bike but RS doesn't actually make the Reba in every configuration that they list on their website. My LBS said that I couldn't get U-turn with a tapered steerer and maxle.

For anyone that cares, I find that the Tallboy rides way better when my fork is in the 95mm position as opposed to the 120mm. The steering is so much quicker. Because I'm replacing my 6in Tracer with my Tallboy, I wanted to still be able to ride the steep chunky stuff so I use the 120mm setting in those situations. However, I raced in the 24 Hours of Moab a couple weeks ago and my fork never came out of the 95mm setting. Anyone who has ridden that course knows that there are a few steep technical sections. The bike and fork performed top notch!

Additionally, understanding that some may view this thread for opinions on ride and fit, as I did before I got mine, the bike does feel a little small. Coming from my Niner Air 9 size large, the half inch shorter top tube on the tallboy is noticeable. I'm already running a 100mm stem and I am reluctant to go longer. An XL won't allow me to use my Gravity Dropper as the seat tube is too high for me, so even though it would fit me better, it was out of the question. I suppose I could get a different type of adjustable seatpost but I wasn't in a position to test different seatposts out before I bought my frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy
    Here's mine!

Orange XL Tallboy (5.6 lb frame weight with the seat post clamp, no headset)
    Fox RP23
    Fox F29 TALAS (taper, QR15, Kashima coat)
    Thomson Elite seat post
    Easton Monkeylite SL handlebars
    RaceFace Deus XC stem
    Oury lock-on grips
    Chris King/Arch/SuperComp wheels
    Avid Elixir CR brakes
    XT M760 crankset
    XT M770 shifters and front derailleur
    XTR M970 Shadow rear derailleur

Comes in at 26.1 lbs with XT pedals on the bathroom scale today. My local shop is turning my old King 26" wheels into 29ers with Crest rims though; that plus lighter tires, non-lock on grips and a couple other things should bring it close to 25 lbs without going crazy on parts.
    BOOMER SOONER lol Nice bike man im sorry your a TX fan

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

here's my medium

im lovin' it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-rsz_tallboy_1.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-rsz_tallboy_2.jpg  

mtbr member

Here's my new SPX xc 29......

.....completely stock......3 of us have bought Tallboys in last 8 weeks up our way....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-008_800x450.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-057_800x450.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-375_800x450.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-resize.jpg

Here's mine. All I can say is this is best the bike I have ridden, love it!!

mtbr member

tall temptation

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-resizetallboy1.jpg
    here is a pic. just picked her up on the 2nd. agree about the best mountain bike i have ever owned.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Picked it up last night and managed to get in a quick night ride.

Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My one month old Tallboy in what I like to call Narcissist Orange, this is a great bike.

For all you Austin riders: where am I?

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-img_0374-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice...did ya buy it at Lance's shop?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nope, didn't get it from Mellow Johnny's, picked it up at Bicycle Sport Shop here in town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice Bikes next week i get mine iam very anxious!!!!

Full of hot air
    Some nice bikes there, but all look the same after a while. No surprises there.

So here's two more. My large typical XO/ XTR build at 25lbs or 11.3kg (with pedals) & my wifes "Shortgirl" womens specific version specially released by SC

Tastes like carbon

mtbr member
    May 2010

Just before the rain

Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ok arrived it sooner than expected!!!!

Last edited by B!LL; 11-23-2010 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Zepinator,
    I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    May 2004

My super speed Tallboy

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tb-low.jpg

This is my fast Tallyboy - just shaved off 880grams of weight adding a pair of Edge wheels with Acros hubs. The bikes feels so much stiffer now and the cornering and accelaration has become overwhelming.
    its about 11.2kg - 24.8lbs now.

mtbr member
    Wow,

dream rig!

Is there any possibility to get those EDGE rims without those stickers?

Low-key?

Greetings Znarf

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    Wow,

dream rig!

Is there any possibility to get those EDGE rims without those stickers?

Low-key?

Greetings Znarf

Yeah, take them off.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Stopped riding it just long enough to get a picture - been an absolute dream bike since I got it in October. Stock set up for now.Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-2.jpg

mtbr member
    rode a demo today...WOW...I was blown away...the bike was lowest possible setup 27 lbs biek and I still felt justas fast as on my 2008 Spc Epic S-Works with all XTR and SLR wheels...I felt fast and comfy at the same time...I experienced the "ROLLING OVER" stuff and not noticing it as much as I do on a 26er...I want one now!!!

Problem...I am unemployed...BUT I'm still gonna see how much I can get for the Epic and and bit the bullet and put the rest on credit this was the most fun ride without much effort that I had in a long time...anyone wanna donate a dollar let me know

I hope to get $2000 for the Epic??? then I need 1500 more....not too bad...

mtbr member
    I finally scraped together enough to get my Tallboy! My LBS gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. I'll be eating ramen for a few weeks, but it's sooooooo worth it.

Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz Chameleon - Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B!LL
    Ok arrived it sooner than expected!!!!

how long did they tell you? And then how long did it take?

I placed an order today, but LBS hasn't gotten back to me yet on est. arrival....

I said so what does it take 3 weeks or so? He said,"well, can be longer..." I want it ASAP

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am from Portugal our dealer his the best it took a week to get it

mtbr member
    it is supposed to ship Monday the 6th!!! and he thinks it will take til the 13-15th to get from the West Coast to Atlanta...I hope it makes it sooner I am so psyc'd Merry Xmas and Happy Birthday to myself!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399
    how long did they tell you? And then how long did it take?

I placed an order today, but LBS hasn't gotten back to me yet on est. arrival....

I said so what does it take 3 weeks or so? He said,"well, can be longer..." I want it ASAP
    I saw a large black TB frame w/ RP 23 at a local shop here at Trailhead bikes in San Jose -No afflilation w/ shop, was just browsing since it was raining and while my wife was at the mall Xmas shopping

If this is your size/color it was also on sale for $1769. Not sure if they'll ship but you can always ask.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enr1co
    I saw a large black TB frame w/ RP 23 at a local shop here at Trailhead bikes in San Jose -No afflilation w/ shop, was just browsing since it was raining and while my wife was at the mall Xmas shopping

If this is your size/color it was also on sale for $1769. Not sure if they'll ship but you can always ask.
    Last time I was in there that large black Tallboy had a Monarch. Trailhead is where I just bought my Tallboy. I was planning on waiting til next year, but at that price I just couldn't pass it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken
    Last time I was in there that large black Tallboy had a Monarch. Trailhead is where I just bought my Tallboy. I was planning on waiting til next year, but at that price I just couldn't pass it up!
    Congrats on your new TB! Yeah, it could have been a monarch ( you know the lighting in there is sorta low but still a nice sale price. If it were a medium, I may have been tempted...

mtbr member
    just now noticed the IS mount for the rear brake does anyone know if I have an IS mount XTR brake (ie no need for adapter) would that when mounted be for a 160mm rotorvs a 180mm rotor?
    thanx

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    just now noticed the IS mount for the rear brake does anyone know if I have an IS mount XTR brake (ie no need for adapter) would that when mounted be for a 160mm rotorvs a 180mm rotor?
    thanx
    My bike shop told me they will need adapters for the XTR 980 brakes for both front and rear. I'll be getting the OEM Fox 120 fork and a 180 rotor in front.

mtbr member
    I have the "old" 975s...

mtbr member
    Here's a recent picture of mine. Still loving it!

mtbr member
    what do y'all think...would white brake lines look bad on the black TB? My current bike is red/white so the white went very well...and I am trying to spend as-little-as possible (right now) b/c finances are low, but the bike is coming in 7-10 days! And I wanna have everything ready to go...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    Here's a recent picture of mine. Still loving it!

looks like you have XT brakes right? are those 180mm or 160mm rotors? Could you tell me what adapters you are using if you have 180s or if you are 160 and then you have no need for adapters, thanks.

mtbr member
    Picked up my fork yesterday so she's almost done. Good enough to ride anyways.

Warrior's Society
    what do y'all think...would white brake lines look bad on the black TB? My current bike is red/white so the white went very well...and I am trying to spend as-little-as possible (right now) b/c finances are low, but the bike is coming in 7-10 days! And I wanna have everything ready to go...

Who cares.......

Put it together....ride it.....enjoy it.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This is mine , from Italy , 21.16 lbs.

Tallboy it's wonderfull.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy4.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    looks like you have XT brakes right? are those 180mm or 160mm rotors? Could you tell me what adapters you are using if you have 180s or if you are 160 and then you have no need for adapters, thanks.
    160mm rotors front and rear. No adapter on the front brake caliper and post-mount caliper to IS adapter on the rear.

mtbr member
    Nice bike Giorgi, how's that WR fork ?

mtbr member

1 more from Italy (winter colors)

Winter is grey, tallboy is orange

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-sdc11054.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-sdc11060.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-sdc11058.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-sdc11057.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dmx1
    Nice bike Giorgi, how's that WR fork ?
    Yesss , Wr Composite Fork it's very light end performance Fork , 1.280 gr . bat id' like this for a front bike.
    I'm still waiting the new fork for this special bike's a German Answer Xcite 100 mm whit stanchion 36 mm .
    Looking there.
    , http://www.german-a.de/en/xcite.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New pics for the post.

[ATTACH]Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc00124.jpg[/ATTACH]

1x10 XTR 11-36
    23.3 Lbs.
    American Classics Tubless
    FSA cranks 34T
    Formula R1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc00122.jpg  

wheelie king
    I thought those wheels weren't available until Feb....
    Last edited by 661lee; 12-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee
    I thought those wheels weren't available until Feb....
    The wheels shown are the XC's, which they have plenty of in both colors. The all mountain sets are still not available. I think your right on the Feb. date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    21lbs...23lbs....Outstanding!
    Beautiful set-ups guys!
    Dig those AC Wheels! That WR fork is pretty cool too!
    Awaiting my TB to ship. Standard SPX build w/ a TALAS upgrade.
    Psyched if it comes in around 27lbs as i'm kinda heavy anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZipsBiker

For anyone that cares, I find that the Tallboy rides way better when my fork is in the 95mm position as opposed to the 120mm. The steering is so much quicker. Because I'm replacing my 6in Tracer with my Tallboy, I wanted to still be able to ride the steep chunky stuff so I use the 120mm setting in those situations. However, I raced in the 24 Hours of Moab a couple weeks ago and my fork never came out of the 95mm setting. Anyone who has ridden that course knows that there are a few steep technical sections. The bike and fork performed top notch!
    ZipsBiker: I'm currently riding a Tracer VP and have been considering either a Tallboy or Blur LTc. I really like the Tracer, but also don't truly need a 6in. bike with a Talas 36 and was thinking about building up something a little lighter.

Any feedback regarding going from the Tracer to the Tallboy? How is the Tallboy in rough sections compared to the Tracer? Do you feel like you're giving up anything on the Tallboy? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Smile An early Xmas!

Bought myself a nice Xmas present! my first 29er

What an awesome bike! It feels like 100% of my pedal stroke is getting to the rear wheel yet the bike soaks up everything...really amazing. On my Sunday ride there is one short techie section that I normally only clean about 25% of the time and the first time on the TB, I rode right up it! I'll post more specifics after I get some more rides in, but very impressed so far. The Path Bike Shop in Orange County did a great job on the build...they got me exactly what I wanted and their price was competitive with the best mail order prices out there, even factoring in the burden of sales tax.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Man O Man, I'm trying to figure out what size to get. I currently have a 29er with a 24.2" top tube, 70mm stem and a set back post(15-20mm set back) I'm 6ft and have ridden a couple different Large Nomads but I'm starting to think about going to an XL Tallboy instead of a large. I would swap out to a straight seat post that would shorten my cockpit by 20mm and the frame would be 25mm longer. It's just that it seems weird to ride an XL at 6ft tall. Is anyone out there 6ft riding an XL?
    Thanks

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606
    Bought myself a nice Xmas present! my first 29er

What an awesome bike! It feels like 100% of my pedal stroke is getting to the rear wheel yet the bike soaks up everything...really amazing. On my Sunday ride there is one short techie section that I normally only clean about 25% of the time and the first time on the TB, I rode right up it! I'll post more specifics after I get some more rides in, but very impressed so far. The Path Bike Shop in Orange County did a great job on the build...they got me exactly what I wanted and their price was competitive with the best mail order prices out there, even factoring in the burden of sales tax.
    Are you lovin the new XTR?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RWGreen
    Are you lovin the new XTR?
    Yes very pleased so far! I have the brake levers set up for one finger braking and the modulation and power are excellent. Shifting is fast and smooth and very light effort.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thecriscokid
    Man O Man, I'm trying to figure out what size to get. I currently have a 29er with a 24.2" top tube, 70mm stem and a set back post(15-20mm set back) I'm 6ft and have ridden a couple different Large Nomads but I'm starting to think about going to an XL Tallboy instead of a large. I would swap out to a straight seat post that would shorten my cockpit by 20mm and the frame would be 25mm longer. It's just that it seems weird to ride an XL at 6ft tall. Is anyone out there 6ft riding an XL?
    Thanks
    I'd say try to get a test ride on one. I'm 6' 1 1/2" and got the XL. I have short femurs though and as a result have to have the saddle slid pretty far up on the post to get proper alignment over the cranks.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast