Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu
    OK just got my frame I weight it 4 times cause I actually had a hard time thinking it was right it registered at 4.4 pounds. Its a medium frame but damn that is light and its half a pound lighter then the 5 pound mark wich I would of been very happy with, but 4.4 is plain stupid light. Its lighter then most ss frames I have had. Bad pic sorry.

I think your scale is off. My large black was 5.26 and a large orange was 5.39 lbs. I highly doubt that there is that much of a difference in weight between the M & L frames.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yea it has to be off, but who cares its so hot! I am going to ride the living hell out of the thing. lol
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Stupid question but when I press the headset do I use the carbon grease that came with the frame? Thanks

Warrior's Society
    Stupid question but when I press the headset do I use the carbon grease that came with the frame? Thanks

Yeah, you can use that or any other grease. I think I used the Park grease.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    First time on a carbon frame I am def looking forward to builiding it and riding it! It's the first time I ever had a frame this glam its going to take me time to get used to it. The guys at my trails are going to drool. haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Just Completed Tall Boy Build

Turned out great. Ran rear der. shift cable underneath top tube and added a couple of self-adhesive cable guides to tuck Nokon's neatly in place.

Actually got into upper 30's (F) around here, rode around neighborhood for a couple hours. Felt much more nimble and responsive as compared to my 2008 Specialized 29 FSR.

Can't wait to get it out on the trails.

LBS scale showed a little over 25 lbs., no claim for any verified scale calibration, does agree with my running spreadsheet component weight summation.

Components:
    2010 Santa Cruz Tallboy - Matte - Medium: rear shock Fox RP23
    Fork: Rockshox Reba Team 29er Fork tapered
    Crankset-FSA K-Force XC MegaExo - ceramic BB
    Brakes: Hope Tech X2 - Front & Rear - 160mm disc
    Chris King NoThreadset 1 1/8" - 1 1/2"
    Thomson Elite X4 Mtb Stem - SM-E140-110mm, 10 deg.
    FSA Headset Spacers 1 1/8"
    Cassette SRAM PG990 11-34
    SRAM PC991 Hollow Pin Chain 9 sp
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite-setback 30.9/410mm
    Thomson 35.0 Seatclamp Black
    Mavic C29 crossmax
    Shimano XTR Der FD-M971 down swing
    SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X.9 Trigger Shifters
    Pedals Crank Brothers Candy SL
    Easton EC70 XC Carbon Flat Bar
    Specialized Rival SL Saddle
    Grips ODI MTB Lock-On
    Kenda Karma Tires - Front & Rear
    Nokon Gear System Cables
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1982.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1979.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1996.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1997.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_2008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Completed Tall Boy Build - all pictures did not upload first try

All pictures did not upload, here are a couple more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1979.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1997.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1999.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1961.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_1958.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Finished my build

Here is mine finished comes in at 23.8 pounds for a FS 29er its like cheating I took it out today for the first time I ran into a guy that usually brings the pain first time I ever dropped him!!! hahaha The fact that I can peddle through corners is awesome with the stumpy it was a guarantee that I would stick a crank on the ground. The ride on the tallboy is very unique the bike feels better the faster I went, very lively feel to it. The Tallboy really has fixed most of the 29er disadvantages I think Rob Roskopp is going to be way richer with this bike under his belt!!!

mtbr member
    Here is my Tallboy configured for endurance mode (26.5lbs). The King hubs and Arch wheel are a little on the heavy side might get a set of AC (for race mode) and drop a pound. This bike feels great with a stiff, nimble and plush ride. The frame with headset weighed in at 5.7lbs. A big thanks to Steve at Bike Man
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc02175_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Any tire recommendations? I am running the racing ralphs front and rear and the tires seem not to grip very well with this build. Perhaps I need to run the PSI lower but I run them low as it is. I ride sandy and loose terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Any tire recommendations? I am running the racing ralphs front and rear and the tires seem not to grip very well with this build. Perhaps I need to run the PSI lower but I run them low as it is. I ride sandy and loose terrain.

- My new favorite is the Specialized S-Works Purgatory 2Bliss 2.2
    They're a little heavier than the RR's at 675ish but have a pretty full knob and grip well in all conditions I've tried them in so far.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How do people like the Conti Race King's? I am considering those or the Saguro's for my new Tallboy.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

TR
    Angry bunny
    I have always liked the Crossmark rear, Ignitor front as race tyres and will continue to run this option.
    I also have a set of Racing Ralphs to try out for this purpose.

For general trail riding I like Ardent rear and either a Rampage or Weirwolf up front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

rralphs

The racing ralphs gripped better for me on the heavier bike feel too loose on the Tallboy on loose conditions. I changed the back tire to an s-works the Captain that I already had see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Here's an updated pic of mine with my wheels (Stan's Flow rims on I9 hubs). Ended up just over 26lbs. Very happy with it so far.

TR
    Angry bunny
    1 more day!!!
    Then to seek out the final piece of the puzzle.......tapered steerer QR fork.

Black Fox or Reba?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

EL fox

Dude EL fox!!! Problem is getting it, I would try calling Speedgoat and asking about the fox just say you don't see it on their site. They will say something like we don't sell those and then they will say something like I might have one I can sell you. etc...

bike weenie
    Can't go wrong with the ignitors for an all around great tire. I'm trying out the captains, but have a sneaking suspicion that I may be back on ignitors this year, after trying out mountain kings and racing ralph last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Tires

I have the Racing Ralp on the front and the Captain in the back I really like the Combo, It's not a death grip on corners but not at all bad with the ralph on the back was not fun but the tire was worn a bit too.

TR
    Angry bunny
    It is here!!!!!
    Been talking options over with Shannon from Blacksheep Imports over here in Australia for quite some time now.
    We could not find a dually that we were 100% happy with from his range but he was fantastic in investigating what could be done to get us on the Santa Cruz Tallboys.
    Test rode one a couple of weeks ago and was extremely impressed with how it rode. Another of those bikes where it just tempts you to ride it harder.
    Many many thanks to Blacksheep Imports and Santa Cruz Australia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

tall boy down under

Congrats!!! Its a great ride gets better the more you ride it too.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Looking for a good deal on 2 black tapered steerer forks (100 - 120mm convertable)
    Anyone able to give me a lead on where I can get them for a good price??
    I have not had much luck sourcing them within Australia.
    I can get the Fox with a 15mm QR but we want standard QR for compatibility of wheelsets across both my bikes.

Definitely need to be black.
    Dont tell me I should go to 15mm, I am not interested at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    speedgoat.com is the only place you might be able to get the fork, but you will only be able to get it in 15mm more then likely and you have to call them they don't sell it on their site. They will have to make you a shopping cart etc. That is how I got mine, I had to go to 15mm but I have hope hubs super easy to convert. Good luck.

TR
    Angry bunny
    speedgoat.com is the only place you might be able to get the fork, but you will only be able to get it in 15mm more then likely and you have to call them they don't sell it on their site. They will have to make you a shopping cart etc. That is how I got mine, I had to go to 15mm but I have hope hubs super easy to convert. Good luck.
    Will contact them but 15mm is NOT an option.
    I have 2 bikes and need the wheels to be compatible between them in case of mechanical issues.
    I have Hope hubs too so know how easy it is to convert but this would mean a new fork for the 2nd bike which is not a cost I want.
    Mucking around swapping end caps in the middle of a race would not be ideal either.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Coming along.
    No rush seeing as though I have to source the taper steerer fork.
    I have a lead on some Fox F29's but just waiting on some responses from some other shops to see if they can offer any cheaper.
    Just installed the rigid fork so that I can get on with sorting out cockpit setup in the meantime.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast