Morgan

mtbr member
    5' 10" size L.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    5'6" on a medium

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    done for the most part. i think it needs a flat bar? robbed the crank and seat off my trc. waiting for those two parts to arrive in the mail. the lefty isn't an spv max anymore. i converted it to the newest pbr parts. it's now air sprung [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Vegan Athlete
    5'-10" - 32" inseam
    Size Medium.
    Tallboy C.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coming soon... From Córdoba (Spain)

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806197.941060.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806216.630287.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806253.755405.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806275.752038.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806299.459836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I am new to the forum. I just bought myself a 2012 tallboy aluminum on special. I have been riding trails and the occasional rock gardens for the past couple of years trying to get into better shape. I convinced myself that if I rode my old bike for a couple years I could justify getting myself a new bike. I am a 37 yo dad with 3 kids so I have to choose my expenditures wisely

So my last bike was a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS I bought new when I was in college in 1996 (previous model year special) for $550. I loved that bike. It was very light (lighter than my tallboy) and it was pretty fast. I found myself avoiding rocks, ruts, and roots because it felt like it was rattling the teeth out of my skull. Plus needless to say after being 380 pounds at my heaviest my back can get thrown out pretty easily. Thankfully I am now at a more manageable 250 lbs (I'm 6'4").

So I had no clue about any current bike technology. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Well I test rode that, a Salsa, and a couple other bikes and they all felt the same to me. I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Then my friend loaned me his 2011 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I rode it on my normal 11.5 mile loop during lunch and it felt so sluggish. It wasn't dialed in for me but I was just not convinced. It did give me some confidence for the roots and rocks. I found myself looking for stuff to ride over. But I was worried I would regret the purchase. So I started looking some more on my LBS's web site and found they had a 2012 Tallboy for a couple hundred more than the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp so I decided I would call and see if they still had it in stock. Turns out they did and it was actually cheaper than what they had listed several hundred off of the normal bike price. So I went down and test rode it and I was instantly impressed. It felt so quick and nimble. I even had them bring out a Stumpjumper for me to compare it to in the parking lot. I was so amazed at the difference.

Anyway I ended up buying it on the spot and I am so excited. It is a 2012 Tallboy Al Rx C. I had them convert it to tubeless there and add a bike cage. Ignore the pedals they are the cheap ones they threw on. I have clipless from my old bike I transferred over (even though they are silver and I wish they were black). I didn't have time to take it on any sweet jumps but I am taking it out today for my first trail ride. I am so excited!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-bike.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    380 down to 250, Great effort.

Keep up the riding it is good for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Amazing how the technology has changed. Congrats and enjoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ummgood View Post
    Well I am new to the forum. I just bought myself a 2012 tallboy aluminum on special. I have been riding trails and the occasional rock gardens for the past couple of years trying to get into better shape. I convinced myself that if I rode my old bike for a couple years I could justify getting myself a new bike. I am a 37 yo dad with 3 kids so I have to choose my expenditures wisely

So my last bike was a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS I bought new when I was in college in 1996 (previous model year special) for $550. I loved that bike. It was very light (lighter than my tallboy) and it was pretty fast. I found myself avoiding rocks, ruts, and roots because it felt like it was rattling the teeth out of my skull. Plus needless to say after being 380 pounds at my heaviest my back can get thrown out pretty easily. Thankfully I am now at a more manageable 250 lbs (I'm 6'4").

So I had no clue about any current bike technology. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Well I test rode that, a Salsa, and a couple other bikes and they all felt the same to me. I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Then my friend loaned me his 2011 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I rode it on my normal 11.5 mile loop during lunch and it felt so sluggish. It wasn't dialed in for me but I was just not convinced. It did give me some confidence for the roots and rocks. I found myself looking for stuff to ride over. But I was worried I would regret the purchase. So I started looking some more on my LBS's web site and found they had a 2012 Tallboy for a couple hundred more than the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp so I decided I would call and see if they still had it in stock. Turns out they did and it was actually cheaper than what they had listed several hundred off of the normal bike price. So I went down and test rode it and I was instantly impressed. It felt so quick and nimble. I even had them bring out a Stumpjumper for me to compare it to in the parking lot. I was so amazed at the difference.

Anyway I ended up buying it on the spot and I am so excited. It is a 2012 Tallboy Al Rx C. I had them convert it to tubeless there and add a bike cage. Ignore the pedals they are the cheap ones they threw on. I have clipless from my old bike I transferred over (even though they are silver and I wish they were black). I didn't have time to take it on any sweet jumps but I am taking it out today for my first trail ride. I am so excited!

I had the same experience you had except unfortunately I had already bought the Stumpjumper so it was a costly lesson. Based on what you're saying I think you'll enjoy the hell out of the bike. I know my TBc feel much more nimble than my SJ did.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    25lb. range!!!! got the crank and seat. hopefully lose a couple hundred more grams swapping the bar and stem. [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whoa, that is light for the aluminum bike!

Good on ya!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi folks!

Here's mine. Bought it after 2 years on a Blur XC.

In these intermediate config, the weight is 10,56kg with pedals. I've also other wheels (Asterion Carbon 29) and some ideas to go under 10kg in the pure XC version.
    I will also have an Enduro version with a Reverb and DT tricon wheels with Hans Dampf 2.35 tires.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Hello Olibabe, that's n awesome build up - and a very nice topshot! ride on and enjoy the tallboy light!

mtbr member
    Excellent photos, loving the red/black theme.

bike addict
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Just Arrived Tuesday and I got to go for a ride yesterday. This is my first full suspension bike and my first 29er. I really love this bike, it makes everything feel so easy, going fast takes so little effort.

I got the AL Version with a 2013 SPXxc 3X10 Kit & the upgraded rear shock. I did however change a few things right away.

Ergon GS-1 Grips
    Kenda Small Block 8s
    i-Spec Mounts
    36pt Star Ratchet
    Cytoe Skidplate
    Shimano XT Pedals

I am still waiting for my 10mm DT RWS for the rear and 180mm rotor for the front.

Satin Clear

mtbr member
    How are the iSpec mounts? I'm contemplating them, but wasn't sure how much position adjustment they allow. Can you post a cockpit photo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

Nicely done. Definitely more AM than XC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Homebrew mud deflector mod. .090 uhmw leftover from my machine shop days. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Homebrew mud deflector mod. .090 uhmw leftover from my machine shop days. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Do yourself a favor
    Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

olibabe was it easy to fit a hollowgram on the tallboy?

I've been looking at hollowgrams on ebay. I am currently running the E13 with the 30mm spindle, but I thought you couldn't run a hollowgram with a 73mm BB shell.

Please enlighten me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I've been looking at hollowgrams on ebay. I am currently running the E13 with the 30mm spindle, but I thought you couldn't run a hollowgram with a 73mm BB shell.

Please enlighten me.
    They make BB's that convert.

Next to the last one on the page: First Components-Bottom Brackets

13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Not nearly enough photos in this thread, so here's a few of my new Tallboy AL. Thanks again Santa (Cruz, that is)!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's my new 2012 TBa from the Virtual Garage sale.

Light Bicycle wider carbon Rims with King Hubs, Ardent 2.4/ 2.25, XT brakes 180/160, SLX 3 X 10, Fox DOSS dropper post, 100mm Fox F29 fork

Weighs in at 28 pounds- great all around bike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast