Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 1109
  1. #826
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maralva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    Put mine together a few weeks ago. Wrestled it around round some tight xc tracks on the first ride, then realized I wasn't exactly using my elbows - doh. Last weekend I did some great flowy singletracks and down a couple of dh tracks to see if i could find its limit (or mine). The rons have been replaced with spesh purg/capt combo . Overall it's an absolute blast of a trail bike!



    I tried the LT and TBc before committing to this and was a little torn on the decision. I decided the larger fork on the TBc would be a perfect blend of the best aspects of each bike for trial riding (down here in Aus) - it hasn't disappointed.

    Ilove lt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fox 32 talas?????

  2. #827
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Thanks maralva.
    It's a f34 float 140 with a 20mm spacer to drop it, so it sits a good bit taller than the standard f32 120. Black as it is oe from Santa Cruz (they get to choose colors, unlike the rest of us!?)? There looks to be a few going with the 34
    Last edited by eastie; 09-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.

  3. #828
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maralva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jbigelow View Post
    Built up this morning, took her on a quick 1 hour ride tonight. This thing is stiff and encourages you to push it. I like. Can't wait to rack up some miles on her.



    Very spartan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #829
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    136
    Just got back from a Moab, Southern Utah trip... Guacamole, Enchilada, Phil's. Still high as a kite from the trip.

    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-guacamole.jpg

    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-porcupine-rim.jpg

    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-phils-world.jpg

    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-waiting-twe-shuttle.jpg

  5. #830
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    312
    Nice. One of my future destinations. Like the frame color too (looks way better in person). What's the can for on seat post in first pic?

  6. #831
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    136
    It's a CO2 cartridge. I'm doing a long distance race in a month and wanted to test out the strap to make sure I wouldn't lose the cartridge. Worked out fine.

    The Tallboy worked great for that kind of terrain. It just climbs the rough stuff so well. It worked great on the descents as well but on some of the drops I was wishing for the LT version.

  7. #832
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    Put mine together a few weeks ago. Wrestled it around round some tight xc tracks on the first ride, then realized I wasn't exactly using my elbows - doh. Last weekend I did some great flowy singletracks and down a couple of dh tracks to see if i could find its limit (or mine). The rons have been replaced with spesh purg/capt combo . Overall it's an absolute blast of a trail bike!



    I tried the LT and TBc before committing to this and was a little torn on the decision. I decided the larger fork on the TBc would be a perfect blend of the best aspects of each bike for trial riding (down here in Aus) - it hasn't disappointed.
    Eastie, one of the nicer TB's I've seen. I'm torn a little between the TB and the TB LT. So you think it is a good compromise between the two by using the F34 140 up front? Just wondering if it throws off the handling and cornering? Did the 20mm reducer spacer come with the fork or did you have to contact Fox to get one?

  8. #833
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,708
    Quote Originally Posted by jnails View Post
    Eastie, one of the nicer TB's I've seen. I'm torn a little between the TB and the TB LT. So you think it is a good compromise between the two by using the F34 140 up front? Just wondering if it throws off the handling and cornering? Did the 20mm reducer spacer come with the fork or did you have to contact Fox to get one?
    The 34 shimmed to 120mm is only 8mm taller than the stock 120 fork.

    I plan on putting my 34 on there, I don't know that I would run it at 140mm. With the difference in crown height and the 20mm you're looking at almost an inch taller.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  9. #834
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    126
    Is there much of a difference between the 142 and standard qr rear axle? I can get the qr for 20% off at my LBS

  10. #835
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,708
    Quote Originally Posted by utley06 View Post
    Is there much of a difference between the 142 and standard qr rear axle? I can get the qr for 20% off at my LBS
    Well I got my new one (142) at 17% off, so you decide if that's a good deal.

    I'm sure the carbon rear is stiff enough.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  11. #836
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by utley06 View Post
    Is there much of a difference between the 142 and standard qr rear axle? I can get the qr for 20% off at my LBS
    I upgraded my qr rear hub to a 10mm thru-axle with a 10x130 DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt. This fits in the standard qr dropouts, and I think it provides stiffness very closed to the 12x142.

  12. #837
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I upgraded my qr rear hub to a 10mm thru-axle with a 10x130 DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt. This fits in the standard qr dropouts, and I think it provides stiffness very closed to the 12x142.

    Thats exactly what the sales guy told me... hopefully, the standard QR will be fine.

  13. #838
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    Put mine together a few weeks ago. Wrestled it around round some tight xc tracks on the first ride, then realized I wasn't exactly using my elbows - doh. Last weekend I did some great flowy singletracks and down a couple of dh tracks to see if i could find its limit (or mine). The rons have been replaced with spesh purg/capt combo . Overall it's an absolute blast of a trail bike!



    I tried the LT and TBc before committing to this and was a little torn on the decision. I decided the larger fork on the TBc would be a perfect blend of the best aspects of each bike for trial riding (down here in Aus) - it hasn't disappointed.
    Looks great! Would've had one of these if I were a better rider Ended up going with the LTc as she's a little more forgiving of my poor choice of lines, particularly down Cressy.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

  14. #839
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    126
    I hope you guys don't mind that I pleasured myself to a few of your bike pics

    Just returned my Blur TRc for the tallboy in Orange (love that color).. Luckily the place I purchased it from allows mulligans!!

  15. #840
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    Put mine together a few weeks ago. Wrestled it around round some tight xc tracks on the first ride, then realized I wasn't exactly using my elbows - doh. Last weekend I did some great flowy singletracks and down a couple of dh tracks to see if i could find its limit (or mine). The rons have been replaced with spesh purg/capt combo . Overall it's an absolute blast of a trail bike!



    I tried the LT and TBc before committing to this and was a little torn on the decision. I decided the larger fork on the TBc would be a perfect blend of the best aspects of each bike for trial riding (down here in Aus) - it hasn't disappointed.
    Does anyone manufacture some type of mounting device that you can connect to your bike to carry that fancy kick stand you got there?

  16. #841
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    It's very custom, took ages to track it down. I custom mount it in a drink bottle without a lid, that way it's handy if I have to deploy it in a hurry towards someone doing a strava run. I could custom fab one for you if you want?

    Don't know about cressy, but did some runs at mt tarrengower and it was fine on the flow sections, just had to avoid most jumps til I get a better feel for it. Not usually what I ride and not what i got it for but wanted to see how it went and was happily surprised. Just have to watch your lines and position on the bike more than the LTc which i found was more of a tractor - sit down and plow straight.

  17. #842
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maralva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28

  18. #843
    Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Reputation: cycljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,813

    TBLTa

    Initially started out with an R AM build. On my wish list:
    • Hope/Flow Wheelset (gold hubs, white rims)
    • XT 2x10 Crankset
    • MRP ISCG05 Skid Plate
    • Thomson Dropper Post


    Changes so far:
    • RaceFace Atlas FR Riser (gold)
    • Elixir X0 Brakes (180/180 rotors)
    • TMARS Gold Seatpost (cheap post but looks cool)
    • WTB Silverado LE Lopes 55 (White)
    • ODI Ruffian (White) Lock-On Grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-img_2437_1024x768.jpg  

    Can you hear me now?

  19. #844
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ewarnerusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,130
    Hello. Please welcome me to the family. I picked up a 2012 Tallboy carbon. Freaking awesome. Right now it is 26.5 lbs with the "heavy" Purgatory Control tires on.
    REAR DER: Shimano XT

    FRONT DER: Shimano M780 or M781 (XT) 10 spdd

    SHIFTERS: Shimano M670 (SLX) 10spd

    CRANKSET: Shimano M552 24/32/42 10spd

    CASSETTE: Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd

    CHAIN: Shimano HG 74 10spd

    BRAKES: Shimano XT with 180 front, 160 rear Ice Tech rotors

    BARS: Truvativ Noir T40

    STEM: Truvativ 70mm

    GRIPS: Lizard Skin "494"

    HEADSET: Cane Creek 10

    SEAT POST: Thomson Masterpiece layback

    SADDLE: Specialized Phenom

    WHEELS: Specialized Roval Control SL 29

    I use Crank Brothers eggbeater S pedals.

    The rear shock is actually the 2013 Fox CTD, the fork is a Rock Shox Reba RL.

    No pics in good lighting yet.

  20. #845
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    57

    I'm an idiot for waiting so long

    First off, let me start out by saying that I've been riding for 10 yrs now and came from a motocross background. I was the die hard 26er that told any salesman to shut his mouth once a 29er was mentioned until a couple of weeks ago when a salesman convinced me to throw a leg over a tallboy and I've been in love ever since.

    The lack of flick ability, hard to maneuver through tight turns, and hard to get going rumors that I heard where not noticeable at all and the benefits of the 29er far out weighed any slightly negatives. Again though, I could not point out any negatives and I've been riding tight switchbacks, steep technical long climbs and technical downhill. The bike was so damn fast, stable, and most importantly comfortable. Climbing from a cardio stand point does not seem easier nor harder but it does seem as though u make it to the top faster and once on level terrain i do not feel as worn out. the Tallboy rolls so fast and does not bog down as fast as a 26er. just seems to roll longer. I'm a believer now! I'm not sure if it was the Santa Cruz Tallboy or 29ers in general but I'm not going back to 26..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-image.jpg  


  21. #846
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Diesel8810's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    116

    Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
    I was going to wait until I had some better pics but its been a while so I'll just contribute my with crappy iPhone pics. I went ahead and made some upgrades right away that I felt were necessary and a few I just wanted...

    MY concerns were Function, Durability, Looks (lets be serious who doesn't want their 5k bike to look good), and then weight in that order.. I am a bigger more aggressive rider and wanted something I could really have some fun on... I went with the Triple but I am not liking the useable gear ranges so I will most likely be going with a Homebrewed Single set up soon and adding a King BB for good measure...

    Big shout out to Rob at Garissons Cycelry Garrison's Cyclery of Centreville Bike Sales Service Shop Wilmington, Delawarefor the upgrade recommendations, flawless wheel build, and as always an A++ attention to detail on this build!!...

    2012 TallBoy AL SPX Large
    Upgrades:
    Fox RP23
    King Headset
    King Headset Spacers
    Oury Lock On Grips
    Thomson Stem
    Upgraded 180mm front Rotor
    King BB Spacer
    Old Flite Ti Saddle I've had for 15 Years
    Salsa Lip Lock Seat Collar
    Ringle Cage NOS
    XTR Rear Derailleur
    XTR Chain
    Time ATAC XS Pedals
    DT Swiss Rear Through Axle conversion
    Wheels:
    King ISO Hubs
    DT Comp Spokes
    DT Black Brass Nipples
    Stans Flow EX Rims
    Schwalbe Ron / Ralph

    Weight?... Not sure yet... Definitely under 30 and sturdily built so light enough for me!





    So it has been 3 Months and about 450 miles and I am loving the bike.. I have made a few additional changes / upgrades to completely get it dialed in.. The bike absolutely rips..

    *Saddle - Finally retired the 15 year old Flite in favor of a new Fizik Aliante Carbon/Kium
    *Tires - I swapped out the RoRo/RaRa set up in favor of Nobby Nic 2.35 F & R for the Fall and winter and finally went tubeless... So far so good.
    *I removed the Granny gear and converted the bike to a Big 2 set up.. Never used the Granny and all it did was make the drive train alignment a pain in the A-Hole..

    As far as my weight estimates I may have been a little ambitious... After installation of the Meaty Nobby Nics I fell to temptation and weighed it on a Park bike scale... Result?... 30.00lbs flat... Sooo.. I guess with the other tires it was under 30 but not by much.. I knew this bike wasn't going to be a light weight by any means but was hoping to be around 28lbs.. For this reason I didn't weigh it in the first place and just rode it... The bike never felt heavy or cumbersome at all so as far as I am concerned it is still light enough for me and my riding style... So any of you thinking of a stout Tallboy Aluminum build and wanted a weight here ya go!..


  22. #847
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maralva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
    So it has been 3 Months and about 450 miles and I am loving the bike.. I have made a few additional changes / upgrades to completely get it dialed in.. The bike absolutely rips..

    *Saddle - Finally retired the 15 year old Flite in favor of a new Fizik Aliante Carbon/Kium
    *Tires - I swapped out the RoRo/RaRa set up in favor of Nobby Nic 2.35 F & R for the Fall and winter and finally went tubeless... So far so good.
    *I removed the Granny gear and converted the bike to a Big 2 set up.. Never used the Granny and all it did was make the drive train alignment a pain in the A-Hole..

    As far as my weight estimates I may have been a little ambitious... After installation of the Meaty Nobby Nics I fell to temptation and weighed it on a Park bike scale... Result?... 30.00lbs flat... Sooo.. I guess with the other tires it was under 30 but not by much.. I knew this bike wasn't going to be a light weight by any means but was hoping to be around 28lbs.. For this reason I didn't weigh it in the first place and just rode it... The bike never felt heavy or cumbersome at all so as far as I am concerned it is still light enough for me and my riding style... So any of you thinking of a stout Tallboy Aluminum build and wanted a weight here ya go!..


    superb !!!!!!!!!

  23. #848
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    263
    Just got this custom 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-photo-10.jpg  


  24. #849
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    440
    Very nice!
    Custom? Is that color something Santa Cruz is offering?

  25. #850
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Very nice!
    Custom? Is that color something Santa Cruz is offering?
    Based on the black inside the lettering, I'm going to say new stickers over the stock red ones.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •