Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Still playing around with the spacers - as you can see I have it in the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    The Tallboy uses an 1 1/8 semi-integrate upper cup and 1.5" regular external lower cup.

Like the one here in the middle:

If you want to get your bars up a little higher, try an additional spacer or a higher rise bar.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    Could be that some of the weights in this thread are a wee bit on the optimistic side...

My build is as follows:
    SC Tallboy frame Medium
    Rock Shox Reba Team 120mm, tapered steerer, Maxle
    Cane Creek tapered headset - XX II lower, ZS-3 upper
    Easton EC90 seatpost
    WTB Silverado Team saddle
    Truvativ Stylo Team Stem 90mm
    Race Face Atlas FR 1/2 riser bar
    Race Face Sniper Lock-on grips
    Shimano Deore XT disc brakes, 160mm rotors f/r
    Shimano XTR shifters
    Shimano XTR Shadow GS rear derailleur
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Shimano XTR chain
    Shimano XT 11/32 cassette
    Shimano XTR crankset 172.5mm, 22/32/BG
    Stans Arch/Hope Pro II wheels
    Continental Race King 2.2 tires w/Stan's sealant
    Sorry but I am struggling to see how your bike weighs anywhere near that weight.
    We weighed the L size demo with XT buildkit and not light wheels on the weekend and it weighed about that (without pedals).
    Full XTR build like yours should be considerably lighter.
    My large Jet9 with SRAM X9 build weighed about 26.5lb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Sorry but I am struggling to see how your bike weighs anywhere near that weight.
    I am pretty confident that it is accurate. It was weighed on the same scale showing the sub-5lb frame/shock weight in an earlier post. My bars aren't superlight and the pedals aren't either when compared to something like a ti Eggbeater. One thing I'm not 100% sure on is the wheels. They are loaners and I haven't looked closely to see if they are Competition, Supercomp, or Revolution spokes. They do have alloy nipples. I also don't know how much sealant is in the tires - for all I know there are 3 scoops in each tire.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I have those exact same hubs and rims. From memory they are around 1800g built up with Comp spokes.
    If the pedals are Atacs they are not light but they are not stupidly heavy either.
    I run XTR pedals which fall into the same boat.
    There would be grams to be saved on the pedals, bar and grips but surely not over 2lb.

Knuckle Smuggler
    Exerts in the feld are quit aware of mfr tolrances . was your scale calberated smarty pants . if so , how . what make of scale do you have hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????

crabon fiber, tires . hydro fluid , as well as region and time of year can all have a fluxuational affect mfr tolereses as well on the outcome of mass .

seriously I am an epert too and I am an expert to and will not untill we get to the bottom of this weight discrepisy, dogboy now was you scale calimabrated ,,, hmmmmmm?????

and what size shoe do you where you look like you have some pretty feet

bike weenie
    Hey - who is that directed at? Do I need to post a picture on the scale?

Maybe you are just using heavy stuff on your build. Wheels, cassette, bars, grips, brakes... we could get that beast down to 24 in no time.

Could be that some of the weights in this thread are a wee bit on the optimistic side...

My build is as follows:
    SC Tallboy frame Medium
    Rock Shox Reba Team 120mm, tapered steerer, Maxle
    Cane Creek tapered headset - XX II lower, ZS-3 upper
    Easton EC90 seatpost
    WTB Silverado Team saddle
    Truvativ Stylo Team Stem 90mm
    Race Face Atlas FR 1/2 riser bar
    Race Face Sniper Lock-on grips
    Shimano Deore XT disc brakes, 160mm rotors f/r
    Shimano XTR shifters
    Shimano XTR Shadow GS rear derailleur
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Shimano XTR chain
    Shimano XT 11/32 cassette
    Shimano XTR crankset 172.5mm, 22/32/BG
    Stans Arch/Hope Pro II wheels
    Continental Race King 2.2 tires w/Stan's sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RWGreen
    Hey - who is that directed at?
    Not directed at anyone in particular. I do know what a sub-24lb Tallboy looks like though and it has some pretty exotic kit on it. As for mine, I am more than happy with the weight. Heck, it's going to gain a little when my wheels are done. I built it to handle the way I ride and I am confident in the parts spec. Plus, it's about 5lbs lighter than my trail bike from last year

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by cholo
    Exerts in the feld are quit aware of mfr tolrances . was your scale calberated smarty pants . if so , how . what make of scale do you have hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????

crabon fiber, tires . hydro fluid , as well as region and time of year can all have a fluxuational affect mfr tolereses as well on the outcome of mass .

seriously I am an epert too and I am an expert to and will not untill we get to the bottom of this weight discrepisy, dogboy now was you scale calimabrated ,,, hmmmmmm?????

and what size shoe do you where you look like you have some pretty feet
    cholo

Go away and sober up before posting again.
    I, and probably others, have NFI what you are trying to say with your rambling posts.

And obviously you are not an expert speller or spell check user.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am kinda of shocked at the weights of your bikes actually, like I said I had my sj down to 24 and half pounds and I know the frame is like 7 pounds. I will have mine built soon I will post the weight. I don't have any "exotic" parts either. Interesting, maybe my sub23 pound bike was a pipe dream! haha

Knuckle Smuggler
    1.) Dogboy's sweet new frame arrives.

2.) Dogboy posts picture of frame on scale. No one balks.

3.) Dogboy posts sweet new frame built, along with specs, and total weight*

4.) Weight weenies balk at Dogboy's stated weight, but do not balk at any other claimed weight from other builds in same thread.

5.) Cognitive bias.

6.) WGAF. Nice bike Dogboy. I am sure it's a blast to ride.

* I find it interesting Dogboy posts a picture of his sweet new frame hanging on a scale. No one argues the weight. I little deductive reasoning should indicate the same scale was used for Dogboy's complete weight claim. The complete weight claim should be as valid as the frame-only claim. No?

TR
    Angry bunny
    A little deductive reasoning would indicate that there are many other builds here and elsewhere that are purporting to be lighter than Dogboy's and enquiring minds would then question why Dogboy's awesome bike is so comparitively heavy.

TR
    Angry bunny
    mtnbikej
    Can you please resize your pic.

Knuckle Smuggler
    A little deductive reasoning would indicate that there are many other builds here and elsewhere that are purporting to be lighter than Dogboy's and enquiring minds would then question why Dogboy's awesome bike is so comparitively heavy.

Illogical. No other photo shows a scale. No deduction can be made to validate their claims.

Knuckle Smuggler
    Quote Originally Posted by jkilgore
    This is my new Tallboy.
    NIce!! I love the orange!

mtbr member
    Purporting is the key word here. I am seriously not trying to start anything, but I think my posted weight is accurate. As I said, I have some "not so light" parts mixed in with my "pretty light, but not exotic ti/carbon" parts. Mine is not a spreadsheet weight, but an actual weight that when compared with my other bikes weighed on the same scale seems legit.

bike weenie
    So - still not sure I understand why people can't understand the relative weights of different builds. Dogboy has a really solid build, and the weight seems perfectly reasonable to me given XT disk brakes, XT cassette, 1800g wheels, etc. It's not at all hard to see how there are much lighter builds. 2lbs lighter would be super easy if that's where he wanted to go. There are some high end builds here, and add XX, light tires (like the 500g aspens) and crank bros 4ti pedals - you could see some crazy light stuff. Bottom line is this is an amazing 29er frame that shocks me how light you can build it without doing dumb stuff.
    Here is verification of the weight on my XTR build XXL frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_0001a.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well said RWGreen. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have those exact same hubs and rims. From memory they are around 1800g built up with Comp spokes.
    If the pedals are Atacs they are not light but they are not stupidly heavy either.
    I run XTR pedals which fall into the same boat.
    There would be grams to be saved on the pedals, bar and grips but surely not over 2lb.

- He does have XT: Brakes, Cassette & Frt. Der., Heavy Bar/Stem and THREE scoops of Stans in each tire.

I'd believe that build weight. Heck, my XL, Taper Float 120, I9's w/arches, Easton carbon bar/EA90 stem, FULL XTR except for Elixr CR's w/ XX 185 rotors, Spec. S-Works Purgatory 2.2's 1 scoop Stans each, KS i950r seatpost and Spec. Ti railed seat weighs 26 on the nose.

When I swap to an EC90 seatpost I will drop a full POUND.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well said RWGreen. Thanks

- Yes. VERY well put.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Look, I agree that the Tallboy is a fantastic bike and was certainly not having a go at anyone here.
    I simply wondered whether Dogboy had made an error with his calculation was all.
    I would be happy to have any of the builds that I have seen here and am waiting patiently (not) for mine to arrive this week.
    Hopefully I will have a built up Tallboy to show you within the next couple of weeks.

I will make sure I picture it hanging from a scale.

Cheers all.

mtbr member
    i dont personally give a **** about the weights. i will say this....the black Tallboy is absolutely beautiful and I hate all of you who own one. (because i want it)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I tihnk its just heavy with awsomenes!!! I love the bike. hahah

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Kinda new to this forum stuff, but just purchased a Santa Cruz Tallboy. I went the route of F120 RLC, Sram X9, Stans ZTR Wheels, Elixir R Brakes. Got it too late last night to ride, but man I cant wait to get home from work today!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    OK just got my frame I weight it 4 times cause I actually had a hard time thinking it was right it registered at 4.4 pounds. Its a medium frame but damn that is light and its half a pound lighter then the 5 pound mark wich I would of been very happy with, but 4.4 is plain stupid light. Its lighter then most ss frames I have had. Bad pic sorry.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast