Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    For those wondering if a Tallboy can handle the downhilly/all mountain rough stuff, Cedric rips it quite well:

29ROCKS! The movie - Cedric Gracia & Simon André on 29ers - Pinkbike.com

Propr
    i'm sure you've seen this one...but just in case.

Suspension Therapy from nsmb.com on Vimeo.

12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    Here is my new build
    XL CF frame
    CK headset, easton stem, and CF monkeylite bars, ergon grips, xtr brakes, 180 front, 160 rear, xtr shifters, xt drivetrain, xtr pedals, gravity dropper turbo, wtb super v titanium seat, gore cables, 120 front fork, WTB Stryker wheelset 2.2 bronson front 2.2 wtb wolverine rear..
    27.5 lbs...so far i like the ride, a lot different then my Ventana X5 is, not as much travel, not as fast downhill, but it climbs a lot better and a lot lighter! my only complaint is i feel bunched up..as i have long arms and i dont want a longer stem.and a set back seat post will not work with my seat drop...time will tell so far so good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg  

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by norcal2 View Post
    my only complaint is i feel bunched up..as i have long arms and i dont want a longer stem.and a set back seat post will not work with my seat drop...time will tell so far so good!
    How wide are your bars? Try an inch or two wider. Mine range from 27.5" to 31" across four bikes. The 31" bars (with a 60mm stem) are new to me, and a total hoot on that bike.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzmond View Post
    Weight without pedals 23 lbs, 10 ounces, with pedals and stans in the tires it comes in at 24 lbs, 8 ounces. Very excited to actually get it dirty. Live in Northern Michigan so still snow on the ground but hopefully in a few weeks. Drivetrain all SRAM XO, brakes Shimano XT, Wheels, bars, seatpost and stem are Haven Carbon. Racing Ralph 2.35 in front, 2.25 in rear. Fox Talas 29 fork.

nice bike~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    How wide are your bars? Try an inch or two wider. Mine range from 27.5" to 31" across four bikes. The 31" bars (with a 60mm stem) are new to me, and a total hoot on that bike.

Morgan
    Im running easton monekylite DH carbon bars.711mm (28 inches) they are wide and i like them a lot! Ill see if they make a wider version...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by norcal2 View Post
    Here is my new build
    XL CF frame
    CK headset, easton stem, and CF monkeylite bars, ergon grips, xtr brakes, 180 front, 160 rear, xtr shifters, xt drivetrain, xtr pedals, gravity dropper turbo, wtb super v titanium seat, gore cables, 120 front fork, WTB Stryker wheelset 2.2 bronson front 2.2 wtb wolverine rear..
    27.5 lbs...so far i like the ride, a lot different then my Ventana X5 is, not as much travel, not as fast downhill, but it climbs a lot better and a lot lighter! my only complaint is i feel bunched up..as i have long arms and i dont want a longer stem.and a set back seat post will not work with my seat drop...time will tell so far so good!
    Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Out of curiosity, how tall are you?
    Im 6'1 but i have long arms.. its hard to find a frame to fit, my Ventana's fit fine but i wanted to try a CF 29er..

mtbr member
    This thing is really fast. I've changed it for the Ellsworth Epiphany, which is a great bike, but this one is better.
    Sorry about phone pictures. Post better ones latter.

Ride More, Drive Less

mtbr member
    Well I was in Prescott AZ this weekend for a fun little race with my wife and we got some snow dumped on us on Sunday so I had to take a pic. This is about 1.5 hrs from Phoenix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-snowbike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I know it's been asked before but is the red looks like a dark orange or a neon red. Maybe it's the flash pix. Nice rides. I'm looking to get my first 9r soon but hard to give up my 26 Epic and Enduro EVO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My little contribution to this thread,

Not a fully finished build, still waiting on Tune DC 15 front thru axle and rear DC17 QR.
    Have yet to put the Titanium bolts I have on the stem.

Might be a tire change to Geax Barro Race, because the Bontrager 29-3 Team are a P.I.T.A. to mount tubeless on Crest rims.
    Took me a week of stretching them with a tube on rims to be able to seat and inflate the bead tubeless.

Current weight : 21.09 Lbs complete as you see it !

Build list:
    Frame: Tallboy C XL
    Fork:Fox F32 29 100mm QR15
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS tall top upper, 1.5 external lower
    Handlebar: Race Face Next SL 3/4 riser
    Stem: Ritchey C260 90mm , logos partly removed
    Seat post : New Ultimate Evo
    Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
    Seat Collar :New Ultimate
    Brakes: Formula R1 "Super Batman" all black edition.
    Rotors: Ashima Air rotor, F 160mm, R 140mm
    Cranks: Race Face Next SL 175mm 3 X 10
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 4Ti
    Shifters: Sram XO 3 X 10, tuned
    Front Derailleur: Sram XO 3 X 10, tuned
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XX, tuned
    Cassette: Sram XX 11-32
    Chain: KMC X10 SL
    Gear Cables: Alligator Mini I-Links with Powercordz front derailleur cable.

Wheels:
    Hubs: American Classic Disk 225 rear ,15mm thru axle front.
    Rims: Stan Crest
    Spokes :Marwi titanium
    Tires :Bontrager 29-3 X 2.0 Team Edition , converted tubeless ( very difficult conversion )
    QR:stock Fox front 15mm ,Token carbon titanium rear

This bike it's worth the look...
    Last edited by ProTech; 03-22-2012 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTech View Post

Not a fully finished build, still waiting on Tune DC 15 front thru axle and rear DC17 QR.
    Have yet to put the Titanium bolts is have on the stem.

Might be a tire change to Geax Barro Race, because the Bontrager 29-3 Team are a P.I.T.A. to mount tubeless on Crest rims.
    Took me a week of stretching them with a tube on rims to be able to seat and inflate the bead tubeless.

Current weight : 21.09 Lbs !

Build list:
    Stem: Ritchey C260 90mm

Wheels:
    Tires :Bontrager 29-3 Team Edition , converted tubeless ( very difficult conversion )

I know Crests are light, but since you are obviously sparing no expense... why not carbon rims?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ProTech One of the best bikes! More pictures, pls.
    What weight and tall are you?

~Reformed Mechanic~

Have yet to put the Titanium bolts I have on the stem.

Current weight : 21.09 Lbs !

Build list:
    Stem: Ritchey C260 90mm , logos partly removed
    Shifters: Sram XO 3 X 10, tuned
    Chain: KMC X10 SL

Wheels:
    Tires :Bontrager 29-3 Team Edition , converted tubeless ( very difficult conversion )

21lbs! and you did it with that Fox 32, a full triple, bottle cage and XL frame? Thats impressive
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thank you for the compliments guys !

After two shakedown light rides,my initial impression is very positive.The Tallboy deserves all the hype it receives.
    Though I'm still debating the use of a fork lockout and have yet to fully cut the steerer.

@hillharman There is not much choice out there in light carbon tubeless rims other than in a UST bead format, and I prefer the lighter converted regular casing tire weights over UST.
    I am casually entertaining getting the Duke Lucky Jack 29er carbon rim. It uses Stan's BST bead socket, but it's unproven and I'm skeptic on it's origin and reliability.

@Ace5high Thank you for the praise. I have been a weight weenie for as long as I have worked in the bike biz. In 25 years of building light bikes I picked up a few skills.

@Anvil77 I'm 6' 2", 186cm and currently 165lbs out of shape.

I removed the attachments from the original post ,so here are the same pics and a few more in larger format:

Last edited by ProTech; 03-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

b a n n e d
    ^^^ You could shave a few more ounces outta that bike if you trimmed up that periscope . . . errr steerer tube.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    Hey Pro Tech, nice looking rig , super light too. My Tallboy C is 26 lbs full XT wish i could drop some weight on it. I luv my new bike hope you enjoy yours.
    Later,
    Johnny K

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I updated the original build list I posted due to a few omissions on my part.

@OO7, I already mentioned the steerer will be cut.
    Unfortunately multiple lower back injuries have prevented me from running all my bikes with the handlebar height I prefer. They all have to be higher or I cant ride without my back locking up.

I'm entertaining the idea of installing a riser bar on the bike and drop the stem a lot. Although I do prefer the racing XC bike feeling of the 3/4 riser Next SL bars.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    spx kit with float 120 and rp23. swapped the crankset for a double, added a dropper post and 180 front rotor. 27.2lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-img_20120323_105345.jpg  

b a n n e d
    ^^^ Not sure what I am more jealous of . . . the bike or the car!

I'm going shopping for an STI on sunday
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Real Nice, I bought a Highball 2mths ago & loved it so much that I just took delivery of my TBc yesterday, I went for the A-Team colour, 120mm Floats, RP23, SPX I've swapped to a 70mm 0 degree Thomson X4 stem as I wanted a more trail/AM feel to the cockpit (really makes the handling feel more agressive & puts you over the back, also did this on the Highball & it almost feels like a jump bike!!), waiting for my Reverb & will convert to tubeless Nobby Nics, however it's has strangely been dusty dry in the UK for 3 weeks & the Crossmarks are working ok.

proshopers
    Apr 2008

Smile Updated to Talas 120 15mm

Had my Tallboy for a year now and have recently updated fork to a Talas 120 15mm. Unbelievable improvement in steering accuracy over the 100RLC QR I had previously. It's like having a new bike again - Tallboy just keeps getting better.

Picture shows current build 26.1lb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc01868.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you for the compliments guys !

@hillharman There is not much choice out there in light carbon tubeless rims other than in a UST bead format, and I prefer the lighter converted regular casing tire weights over UST.
    I am casually entertaining getting the Duke Lucky Jack 29er carbon rim. It uses Stan's BST bead socket, but it's unproven and I'm skeptic on it's origin and reliability.
    Hi, I am Philippe. I am the owner of the DUKE brand. (the name of the company is "jpracingbike1").
    Our carbon 29er rim doesn't use the Stan's BST bead socket. But it is also Tubeless Ready compatible, with all kinds of tires. The rim is 330g (average). It is as stiff as an Arch EX 29er rim. We plan to do in a very short time a 300g version.
    This rim is made in west of Europe. We never had a problem of reliability even with prototypes.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    2 weeks old. 140mm fork just added and is a nice improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tb1-002.jpg  

Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast