Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    WTF...did the "powered by SRAM" decal on the rear triangle come that way or did you do that?

My tallboy is powered by ME! lol
    i did that stickers, SRAM Distributors for Switzerland are friends of mine ... it's a little thanks to get me the stuff asap.

Not smart enough to shift
    Okay, TB Eddi, talk to me about this stealth reverb. Did you really just drill a hole in your frame? Use resin to hold an insert? Something? Don't lead the witness like that. That is a great looking build.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
    Okay, TB Eddi, talk to me about this stealth reverb. Did you really just drill a hole in your frame? Use resin to hold an insert? Something? Don't lead the witness like that. That is a great looking build.

Cheers,
    -A
    Dear onlyontwo, sorry to everybody for my non perfect english, try to explain: i startet to route the cable, to see where do i drill the hole. than i put a plastik tape on this position and start to drill hispeed but without any pressure with a small numer 3 - than i check whats happen with the material. - everything fine! than i go forward every step 4/5/6/7 untill 8mm. with this size of hole, that little plastic peace from the electronic shop has enough space. around the hole and inside this plastic peace i fill up with silicon. the hole in the carbon was very clear like drilling a hole in aluminium. the wall is about 2.5 mm thick... by the way i own a bike shop and i know to handle expensive stuff with card - and i checked out with the guys from santa cruz switzerland about the thickness of the carbon at this tube. of course i would drill a hole everywhere, but there is now problem - and it looks sexy as hell... if the frame crack, i will inform you immediately

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Awsome build...
    Did you or the lbs drill a hole in the seattube for the stealth cabling?
    Guess it would void the warranty.
    Or is it a brandnew option..
    Imo, It wouldn't be a big prob to ad a stealth seatpost 'gate' during the layup in production.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikkie View Post
    Awsome build...
    Did you or the lbs drill a hole in the seattube for the stealth cabling?
    Guess it would void the warranty.
    Or is it a brandnew option..
    Imo, It wouldn't be a big prob to ad a stealth seatpost 'gate' during the layup in production.
    hi dikkie, check the comment befor that for details ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TB_EDDI View Post
    hi dikkie, check the comment befor that for details ....
    Sorry, sorted out now.
    I was in hybrid display mode on teh forum so I overlooked comments.
    Switched to linear and all is fine, nice after 7 years
    I'm contemplating the same idea, if your frame holds out mine will certainly do fine.
    Looking at the protection you probably ride on more demanding terrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Seems risky. Keep us posted. For such an expensive frame SC should route all internal - looks so much cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Seems risky. Keep us posted. For such an expensive frame SC should route all internal - looks so much cleaner.
    I agree, they could learn from Niner's cable routing system (although said not perfect) it sure looks cool. TallboyC and LTc with cable routing would be outstanding! I like how TB_EDDI did this, it looks stock.

Nice build TB_EDDI, the bike looks sick!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is SC frames are one piece layup.
    So getting internal route I don't think is possible.

Other carbon frames are made in sections that are then bounded together. Thus allowing for the internal routing.

I'll take the strength of a one piece frame over sections glued together just so I can have internal routing.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is SC frames are one piece layup.
    So getting internal route I don't think is possible.

Other carbon frames are made in sections that are then bounded together. Thus allowing for the internal routing.

I'll take the strength of a one piece frame over sections glued together just so I can have internal routing.
    Lots of single-mold, monocoque frames have internal routing. It's more common on road bikes at this point, like this Colnago.

All CF frames, regardless of whether they are one-piece or bonded sub-structures, are constructed from multiple sheets of epoxy-impregnated CF in a mold. For internal cable routing, the routing pieces are pre-positioned in the mold and the CF sheets must conform to their position.
    That adds complexity and cost. Done correctly, it doesn't compromise strength to a significant degree, though it can be argued that it could be a failure point in some cases.

Here's an article from Ibis

All About Carbon | Technical Articles | Support | Ibis Cycles US

That add
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think I heard the Jet 9 RDO is monocoque also and it has internal cable routing. Chris Sugai sais the new RIP 9 RDO carbon is monocoque and it too has internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    SC said on the V10 video that they keep the routing external for
    easier/quicker brake changes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Lots of single-mold, monocoque frames have internal routing. It's more common on road bikes at this point, like this Colnago.

All CF frames, regardless of whether they are one-piece or bonded sub-structures, are constructed from multiple sheets of epoxy-impregnated CF in a mold. For internal cable routing, the routing pieces are pre-positioned in the mold and the CF sheets must conform to their position.
    That adds complexity and cost. Done correctly, it doesn't compromise strength to a significant degree, though it can be argued that it could be a failure point in some cases.

Here's an article from Ibis

All About Carbon | Technical Articles | Support | Ibis Cycles US

That add
    Thanks for the correction, hence the I'm no engineer
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Internal routing

It's a pain in the arse and completely cosmetic.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post

Yeah, another XX1 Rider - Welcome a Board !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Internal cable routing

I don't see any advantage of internal routing on a mountain bike. I would actually prefer external full-length housings on the TB.

Not smart enough to shift
    Danridesbikes...Holy hotness. How do you like that setup with the 34 up front? I ran my TB with an angleset to get a similar head angle while keeping the bb low. I actually took it off after about ~3 months.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That sure is a sick build, I envy those wheels, lol.

I thought there was a dead rat by your front tire in the pic, lol...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that xx1 TB is bling, but those pedals arent

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    pedals are ti-axle and mag body - 269g in weight

not a gucci brand name, but i could have paid 3x the price to have the same pedals with a different etching on

the front is very tall with the 34's (initially had a 5mm spacer under the stem and the stem in its +ve position, so slammed the stem today and flipped it -ve, yet to ride in anger though) however i think the 34 size suit the 29er better than the 32's

i could drop them to 120mm if i wanted though, its a future option

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post
    pedals are ti-axle and mag body - 269g in weight

not a gucci brand name, but i could have paid 3x the price to have the same pedals with a different etching on

the front is very tall with the 34's (initially had a 5mm spacer under the stem and the stem in its +ve position, so slammed the stem today and flipped it -ve, yet to ride in anger though) however i think the 34 size suit the 29er better than the 32's

i could drop them to 120mm if i wanted though, its a future option
    How so? If you check the specs on the 120mm 32 and a 34 at 120mm there is only about a 5mm difference. Now if you're running that 34 at 140mm, then yea I don't get that.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New question here. Size od frame

Guýs are you so small? Or wtf? All frames here are S or M size.... Looks so wierd... My TB si XL...nad on my height 187cm semestr perfect... So what are your heights?

mtbr member
    179cm on a Large.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    176 M ... sorry SaintJV in youre eyes small but hey ... with f***ing strong legs ; )

bicycle rider
    6'2" 74" 188cm XL

Morgan

mtbr member
    5' 10" size L.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    5'6" on a medium

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    done for the most part. i think it needs a flat bar? robbed the crank and seat off my trc. waiting for those two parts to arrive in the mail. the lefty isn't an spv max anymore. i converted it to the newest pbr parts. it's now air sprung " width="549">" width="549">

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    5'-10" - 32" inseam
    Size Medium.
    Tallboy C.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coming soon... From Córdoba (Spain)

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806197.941060.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806216.630287.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806253.755405.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806275.752038.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806299.459836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I am new to the forum. I just bought myself a 2012 tallboy aluminum on special. I have been riding trails and the occasional rock gardens for the past couple of years trying to get into better shape. I convinced myself that if I rode my old bike for a couple years I could justify getting myself a new bike. I am a 37 yo dad with 3 kids so I have to choose my expenditures wisely

So my last bike was a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS I bought new when I was in college in 1996 (previous model year special) for $550. I loved that bike. It was very light (lighter than my tallboy) and it was pretty fast. I found myself avoiding rocks, ruts, and roots because it felt like it was rattling the teeth out of my skull. Plus needless to say after being 380 pounds at my heaviest my back can get thrown out pretty easily. Thankfully I am now at a more manageable 250 lbs (I'm 6'4").

So I had no clue about any current bike technology. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Well I test rode that, a Salsa, and a couple other bikes and they all felt the same to me. I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Then my friend loaned me his 2011 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I rode it on my normal 11.5 mile loop during lunch and it felt so sluggish. It wasn't dialed in for me but I was just not convinced. It did give me some confidence for the roots and rocks. I found myself looking for stuff to ride over. But I was worried I would regret the purchase. So I started looking some more on my LBS's web site and found they had a 2012 Tallboy for a couple hundred more than the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp so I decided I would call and see if they still had it in stock. Turns out they did and it was actually cheaper than what they had listed several hundred off of the normal bike price. So I went down and test rode it and I was instantly impressed. It felt so quick and nimble. I even had them bring out a Stumpjumper for me to compare it to in the parking lot. I was so amazed at the difference.

Anyway I ended up buying it on the spot and I am so excited. It is a 2012 Tallboy Al Rx C. I had them convert it to tubeless there and add a bike cage. Ignore the pedals they are the cheap ones they threw on. I have clipless from my old bike I transferred over (even though they are silver and I wish they were black). I didn't have time to take it on any sweet jumps but I am taking it out today for my first trail ride. I am so excited!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-bike.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    380 down to 250, Great effort.

Keep up the riding it is good for you.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Amazing how the technology has changed. Congrats and enjoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ummgood View Post
    Well I am new to the forum. I just bought myself a 2012 tallboy aluminum on special. I have been riding trails and the occasional rock gardens for the past couple of years trying to get into better shape. I convinced myself that if I rode my old bike for a couple years I could justify getting myself a new bike. I am a 37 yo dad with 3 kids so I have to choose my expenditures wisely

So my last bike was a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS I bought new when I was in college in 1996 (previous model year special) for $550. I loved that bike. It was very light (lighter than my tallboy) and it was pretty fast. I found myself avoiding rocks, ruts, and roots because it felt like it was rattling the teeth out of my skull. Plus needless to say after being 380 pounds at my heaviest my back can get thrown out pretty easily. Thankfully I am now at a more manageable 250 lbs (I'm 6'4").

So I had no clue about any current bike technology. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Well I test rode that, a Salsa, and a couple other bikes and they all felt the same to me. I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Then my friend loaned me his 2011 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I rode it on my normal 11.5 mile loop during lunch and it felt so sluggish. It wasn't dialed in for me but I was just not convinced. It did give me some confidence for the roots and rocks. I found myself looking for stuff to ride over. But I was worried I would regret the purchase. So I started looking some more on my LBS's web site and found they had a 2012 Tallboy for a couple hundred more than the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp so I decided I would call and see if they still had it in stock. Turns out they did and it was actually cheaper than what they had listed several hundred off of the normal bike price. So I went down and test rode it and I was instantly impressed. It felt so quick and nimble. I even had them bring out a Stumpjumper for me to compare it to in the parking lot. I was so amazed at the difference.

Anyway I ended up buying it on the spot and I am so excited. It is a 2012 Tallboy Al Rx C. I had them convert it to tubeless there and add a bike cage. Ignore the pedals they are the cheap ones they threw on. I have clipless from my old bike I transferred over (even though they are silver and I wish they were black). I didn't have time to take it on any sweet jumps but I am taking it out today for my first trail ride. I am so excited!

I had the same experience you had except unfortunately I had already bought the Stumpjumper so it was a costly lesson. Based on what you're saying I think you'll enjoy the hell out of the bike. I know my TBc feel much more nimble than my SJ did.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    25lb. range!!!! got the crank and seat. hopefully lose a couple hundred more grams swapping the bar and stem. " width="549">

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whoa, that is light for the aluminum bike!

Good on ya!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi folks!

Here's mine. Bought it after 2 years on a Blur XC.

In these intermediate config, the weight is 10,56kg with pedals. I've also other wheels (Asterion Carbon 29) and some ideas to go under 10kg in the pure XC version.
    I will also have an Enduro version with a Reverb and DT tricon wheels with Hans Dampf 2.35 tires.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Hello Olibabe, that's n awesome build up - and a very nice topshot! ride on and enjoy the tallboy light!

mtbr member
    Excellent photos, loving the red/black theme.
    konahonzo

bike addict
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Just Arrived Tuesday and I got to go for a ride yesterday. This is my first full suspension bike and my first 29er. I really love this bike, it makes everything feel so easy, going fast takes so little effort.

I got the AL Version with a 2013 SPXxc 3X10 Kit & the upgraded rear shock. I did however change a few things right away.

Ergon GS-1 Grips
    Kenda Small Block 8s
    i-Spec Mounts
    36pt Star Ratchet
    Cytoe Skidplate
    Shimano XT Pedals

I am still waiting for my 10mm DT RWS for the rear and 180mm rotor for the front.

Satin Clear

mtbr member
    How are the iSpec mounts? I'm contemplating them, but wasn't sure how much position adjustment they allow. Can you post a cockpit photo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

Nicely done. Definitely more AM than XC.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Homebrew mud deflector mod. .090 uhmw leftover from my machine shop days. " width="549">" width="549">" width="549">

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Homebrew mud deflector mod. .090 uhmw leftover from my machine shop days. " width="549">" width="549">" width="549">
    Do yourself a favor
    Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

olibabe was it easy to fit a hollowgram on the tallboy?

I've been looking at hollowgrams on ebay. I am currently running the E13 with the 30mm spindle, but I thought you couldn't run a hollowgram with a 73mm BB shell.

Please enlighten me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I've been looking at hollowgrams on ebay. I am currently running the E13 with the 30mm spindle, but I thought you couldn't run a hollowgram with a 73mm BB shell.

Please enlighten me.
    They make BB's that convert.

Next to the last one on the page: First Components-Bottom Brackets

Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Not nearly enough photos in this thread, so here's a few of my new Tallboy AL. Thanks again Santa (Cruz, that is)!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's my new 2012 TBa from the Virtual Garage sale.

Light Bicycle wider carbon Rims with King Hubs, Ardent 2.4/ 2.25, XT brakes 180/160, SLX 3 X 10, Fox DOSS dropper post, 100mm Fox F29 fork

Weighs in at 28 pounds- great all around bike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2