Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33
    Diggin' the "General Lee"............

Thanks! It was the first thing that popped into my head the first time I saw the orange. The second thing that popped into my head was, "where can I get a bike horn that plays Dixie?"
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    After looking at some of these builds with carbon wheels bars and cranks, paper thin tires. I am afraid my rig is going to be at least 28-29 lbs.... That's still 5lbs lighter that my last suspension bike. I need to just get it together and find out I guess. I was kind of hoping to get my wheels re-laced to stans rims before I put it together and wait for a king BB,, but maybe today I will get started

Village Dirtbag
    OK- here we go...maiden voyage. Just a quick 14 mile back-door ride in the foothills.

Awesome! So nice to be on my first new bike since 2003. Man...there were a few snowy sections...no problem. There's this one quick switchback with a rocky step that I never make on my Blur. No problem. It's better than my Blur in every way but two...

1) It needs a 22T granny for the mountain riding this summer
    2) Not quite as plush feeling. This is probably as much due to the fox shock (have a swinger on the Blur) as the 15 mm less travel. I wish, instead of propedal, I could play with the compression damping a bit. I don't see me ever using propedal anywhere but the road...maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-1.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-2.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-3.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    man- how do you match my weight with all that extra gear + paint, killjoyken? The only thing I see lighter on yours is the 1/2 pound lighter tires (total) and the missing big ring. But, my seatpost alone is a pound lighter. I don't get it.

Oh yeah- I just set it up tubeless and now it's 26.68 lbs, so that saved 2/3 pound.

Cool bike BTW. I also have a dropper post I'll put on when I hit the more dicy trails. How'd you do that downtube protector.

- Your Bar, Grips, Stem, Headset, Seat, Brakes, Tires, Fork and Cranks are all heavier.
    In 1 pic your pedals are equal but the other pic he posted has platforms.... + a couple grams.

Just RIDE it and enjoy!

Edit: Your bike looks really nice @dam, enjoy it brutha!!

Waiting for Godot
    will a racing ralph 2.4 fit on the back of a tallboy?
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    Holy cr*p, those Easton wheels are cooooooooooool. Übergeil my german friends would say...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Got it together
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not smart enough to shift

Nice!

Criscokid, nice build. That is very similar to how I'm building mine up. 1x10, chainguide, short stem, and 120 fork. What does yours weigh? It looks like a great trail bike set-up.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A little on the heftier side around here. 28.7lbs. Has tubes and RF Atlas cranks. Both of those will change eventually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here is what my new Tallboy looks like until UPS get here on Friday. Placed my order at Colorado Cyclist for a Med orange frame with a Fox 100 fork, Hope hubs, Stans 355 Rims, full XO 2x10 kit, Niner carbon flat bar, easton stem and masterpiece post. This will be my first 29'r and first dual suspention bike all in one. Comming off a 14 year old Kestrel CSX that has had more than a few parts kits on it over the years but still a great ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg  

Village Dirtbag
    Damn- that's a fantastic price for all that. Should be light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think that price includes everything but the fork. Add in the fork and it falls in line with most other shops. As the poster mentioned a 100mm Fox fork in the build, I'm assuming he is aware of this and not getting any costly surprises on Friday. Anyway, good luck with it! My orange Tallboy is due for delivery 3/15 (from the shop,not SC) Four... more... weeks.... wait ... is.... excruciating! But well worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Damn- that's a fantastic price for all that. Should be light.
    The price listed is the base, the fox 100 fork is about $600 more as they give you a good deal with the bike and then I added a few upgrades on the bar, post and spokes. I found it to be a good deal from what I shopped at other places and I have done business with CC for many many years. I much rather would have spent my money and even a bit more at a LBS but no one had the bikes, or they were the wrong size, or they said they were going to get them in in a few months or they just stood there with a dumb look on thier face as I stood in front of them with a pocket full of cash. You cant sell what you dont have so I went else where. There also is not a Santa Cruz dealer with 30 miles of me so free tune ups and support did not matter to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    well here it is, quick cell phone pic. just out of the box from colorado cyclist. Med frame XO group, Hope hubs, 355 rims, Niner carbon bar, -10 deg Easton stem, tubeless wheels, Fox 100 fork, King headset. As soon as it stops raining this thing is getting dirty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-untitled.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    looking good!!! NICE SET UP!

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Aye well done spearo... probably going to have to CC that build for myself.
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Help me chose Tallboy colours: Orange or Matte Black?

Help me choose...I'm about to order a Tallboy frame...

Key question: Pro's and con's of Orange vs Matt Black.

I've seen both colours in the shop; and like to hear other people's opinions of why they choose the colour and are they happy with it. Oh, I should mention that I have the option of building this bike up with a black Carbon lefty with white bonded crown/bridges

Pro's for Black: More subtle, can be matched with other bling components; may fit the glossy black carbon Lefty fork better.
    Con's for Black: Matte colour is to dull, hard to keep clean...never liked / or had a black bike....

Pro's for (bright) Orange: It's bright! It stands out (too much?), Unmistakably Santa Cruz.
    Con's for Orange: hard to match components colours, bit 'showy', Glossy colour doesn't really show the bling carbon frame underneath....looks bit like a kid's bike....? Does it match the Black Glossy carbon lefty?

Your view? (no flames please)...Thx in advance!

Village Dirtbag
    Here's how I saw it: Orange is flashier and, IMHO, cooler looking...more fun. I think it looks better...for now. In a few years, it'll be chipped to hell and battered looking, while I think the black won't show it's age as much. You don't have a black chip or scratch surrounded by and contrasted with orange- it's just black-on-black. Also, you save a bit of weight with black. I think I read .2 pounds somewhere, but I'm not sure. Black might also be a touch more subtle for thieves...it doesn't stand out quite as much as a big-$ bike as something more flashy. That's just speculation though.

So, I say Orange if you don't keep your bikes for many many years, or are very careful about not getting it scratched on the trail or in the car. Black if you keep your bike until the wheels fall off or are a total weight-weenie.

I got the black. Matches my haven wheels, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am havig the same orange vs black issue my self. Also going with a lefty on it either carbon(black) or alum(white) was leaning toward orange but now I am thinking black. Need to make mind up soon........Looks like 80% of tallboys are black, and 20 orange. be a follower or be the weird guy out......arrrggggg..

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dapozer
    I am havig the same orange vs black issue my self. Also going with a lefty on it either carbon(black) or alum(white) was leaning toward orange but now I am thinking black. Need to make mind up soon........Looks like 80% of tallboys are black, and 20 orange. be a follower or be the weird guy out......arrrggggg..
    I went with orange because thats what was available in my size. I just came off a black bike and orange was a nice change. 2 rides in and there are some paint rub marks, small chips, but hey my new carbon cranks have a big ding in them too. No mater what color it is it is going to get messed up. Just ride and enjoy it. I didnt buy it to make money on resale of it so buy what you like and ride it till ya can or need to buy something else.

Warrior's Society
    I went with the Black carbon.....but, was not thrilled with either color....most of my SC bikes in the past have been white. Black was the less of the 2 evils.

The black is lighter than the orange.....black won't show scratches and chips like orange will....prefer the matte color vs. the glossy of the orange.

Plus, I can't stand orange bikes.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Never realized that the Orange is paint. Thought it was an additional step in the carbon fiber curing process. So, if it is paint, can the frame be repainted, either new, or in a couple of years? BTW went with the Orange on mine. CFO who approved the purchase had some input.(Thanks Dear!). Happy w/ the choice. Colors/component matching not such an issue for me. LOVE the ride/Geometry!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I went with black because I thought it would blend in better with being in the woods, as well as being a touch lighter (27 lbs with pedals). So far it hasn't shown any scratches and I have been riding it almost everyday since I got it over 3 months ago. It does have a few dings on the lower left swing arm when I wrecked on some rocks (I have since put a guard on that section for protection). This is my first carbon bike, I like the nice smooth feel of the raw carbon finish, and can't say enough good about the bike, it rocks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think you have to love or hate the orange. It is a different orange in different lights, it changes a bit. Here are a few better pics of my new TB after 2 rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_5716.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_5727.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_5729.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_5731.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dsc_5733.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just recieved TallBoy in black because I like to see the carbon fiber construction and its easier to find red or black parts and jerseys' to match it. The orange frame color is every bit as cool though and reminds me of the Schwinn Orange crate bikes back in the dawn of bike evolution. My brother and I got Schwinn Purple Crates one Xmas morning back when my grandparents were still around and lived in between Ben Lomond and Felton in the Santa Cruz Mountains off Highway 9 for 76 years . My grandmother was friends with Mary Wilder, owner of the Wilder Ranch Estate, before it was a State Park. Dotty and Mary would play cards together with all the gals in the local ladies club every week in the Brookdale Lodge and just get sh!+ faced. Riding my Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz will always feel like home and that great Xmas we had as kids back in the day.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast