Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1133
    size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    WTF...did the "powered by SRAM" decal on the rear triangle come that way or did you do that?

My tallboy is powered by ME! lol
    i did that stickers, SRAM Distributors for Switzerland are friends of mine ... it's a little thanks to get me the stuff asap.

Not smart enough to shift
    Okay, TB Eddi, talk to me about this stealth reverb. Did you really just drill a hole in your frame? Use resin to hold an insert? Something? Don't lead the witness like that. That is a great looking build.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
    Okay, TB Eddi, talk to me about this stealth reverb. Did you really just drill a hole in your frame? Use resin to hold an insert? Something? Don't lead the witness like that. That is a great looking build.

Cheers,
    -A
    Dear onlyontwo, sorry to everybody for my non perfect english, try to explain: i startet to route the cable, to see where do i drill the hole. than i put a plastik tape on this position and start to drill hispeed but without any pressure with a small numer 3 - than i check whats happen with the material. - everything fine! than i go forward every step 4/5/6/7 untill 8mm. with this size of hole, that little plastic peace from the electronic shop has enough space. around the hole and inside this plastic peace i fill up with silicon. the hole in the carbon was very clear like drilling a hole in aluminium. the wall is about 2.5 mm thick... by the way i own a bike shop and i know to handle expensive stuff with card - and i checked out with the guys from santa cruz switzerland about the thickness of the carbon at this tube. of course i would drill a hole everywhere, but there is now problem - and it looks sexy as hell... if the frame crack, i will inform you immediately

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Awsome build...
    Did you or the lbs drill a hole in the seattube for the stealth cabling?
    Guess it would void the warranty.
    Or is it a brandnew option..
    Imo, It wouldn't be a big prob to ad a stealth seatpost 'gate' during the layup in production.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikkie View Post
    Awsome build...
    Did you or the lbs drill a hole in the seattube for the stealth cabling?
    Guess it would void the warranty.
    Or is it a brandnew option..
    Imo, It wouldn't be a big prob to ad a stealth seatpost 'gate' during the layup in production.
    hi dikkie, check the comment befor that for details ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TB_EDDI View Post
    hi dikkie, check the comment befor that for details ....
    Sorry, sorted out now.
    I was in hybrid display mode on teh forum so I overlooked comments.
    Switched to linear and all is fine, nice after 7 years
    I'm contemplating the same idea, if your frame holds out mine will certainly do fine.
    Looking at the protection you probably ride on more demanding terrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Seems risky. Keep us posted. For such an expensive frame SC should route all internal - looks so much cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Seems risky. Keep us posted. For such an expensive frame SC should route all internal - looks so much cleaner.
    I agree, they could learn from Niner's cable routing system (although said not perfect) it sure looks cool. TallboyC and LTc with cable routing would be outstanding! I like how TB_EDDI did this, it looks stock.

Nice build TB_EDDI, the bike looks sick!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is SC frames are one piece layup.
    So getting internal route I don't think is possible.

Other carbon frames are made in sections that are then bounded together. Thus allowing for the internal routing.

I'll take the strength of a one piece frame over sections glued together just so I can have internal routing.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but my understanding is SC frames are one piece layup.
    So getting internal route I don't think is possible.

Other carbon frames are made in sections that are then bounded together. Thus allowing for the internal routing.

I'll take the strength of a one piece frame over sections glued together just so I can have internal routing.
    Lots of single-mold, monocoque frames have internal routing. It's more common on road bikes at this point, like this Colnago.

All CF frames, regardless of whether they are one-piece or bonded sub-structures, are constructed from multiple sheets of epoxy-impregnated CF in a mold. For internal cable routing, the routing pieces are pre-positioned in the mold and the CF sheets must conform to their position.
    That adds complexity and cost. Done correctly, it doesn't compromise strength to a significant degree, though it can be argued that it could be a failure point in some cases.

Here's an article from Ibis

All About Carbon | Technical Articles | Support | Ibis Cycles US

That add
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think I heard the Jet 9 RDO is monocoque also and it has internal cable routing. Chris Sugai sais the new RIP 9 RDO carbon is monocoque and it too has internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    SC said on the V10 video that they keep the routing external for
    easier/quicker brake changes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Lots of single-mold, monocoque frames have internal routing. It's more common on road bikes at this point, like this Colnago.

All CF frames, regardless of whether they are one-piece or bonded sub-structures, are constructed from multiple sheets of epoxy-impregnated CF in a mold. For internal cable routing, the routing pieces are pre-positioned in the mold and the CF sheets must conform to their position.
    That adds complexity and cost. Done correctly, it doesn't compromise strength to a significant degree, though it can be argued that it could be a failure point in some cases.

Here's an article from Ibis

All About Carbon | Technical Articles | Support | Ibis Cycles US

That add
    Thanks for the correction, hence the I'm no engineer
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Internal routing

It's a pain in the arse and completely cosmetic.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post

Yeah, another XX1 Rider - Welcome a Board !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Internal cable routing

I don't see any advantage of internal routing on a mountain bike. I would actually prefer external full-length housings on the TB.

Not smart enough to shift
    Danridesbikes...Holy hotness. How do you like that setup with the 34 up front? I ran my TB with an angleset to get a similar head angle while keeping the bb low. I actually took it off after about ~3 months.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That sure is a sick build, I envy those wheels, lol.

I thought there was a dead rat by your front tire in the pic, lol...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that xx1 TB is bling, but those pedals arent

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    pedals are ti-axle and mag body - 269g in weight

not a gucci brand name, but i could have paid 3x the price to have the same pedals with a different etching on

the front is very tall with the 34's (initially had a 5mm spacer under the stem and the stem in its +ve position, so slammed the stem today and flipped it -ve, yet to ride in anger though) however i think the 34 size suit the 29er better than the 32's

i could drop them to 120mm if i wanted though, its a future option

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post
    pedals are ti-axle and mag body - 269g in weight

not a gucci brand name, but i could have paid 3x the price to have the same pedals with a different etching on

the front is very tall with the 34's (initially had a 5mm spacer under the stem and the stem in its +ve position, so slammed the stem today and flipped it -ve, yet to ride in anger though) however i think the 34 size suit the 29er better than the 32's

i could drop them to 120mm if i wanted though, its a future option
    How so? If you check the specs on the 120mm 32 and a 34 at 120mm there is only about a 5mm difference. Now if you're running that 34 at 140mm, then yea I don't get that.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New question here. Size od frame

Guýs are you so small? Or wtf? All frames here are S or M size.... Looks so wierd... My TB si XL...nad on my height 187cm semestr perfect... So what are your heights?

mtbr member
    179cm on a Large.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    176 M ... sorry SaintJV in youre eyes small but hey ... with f***ing strong legs ; )

bicycle rider
    6'2" 74" 188cm XL

Morgan

mtbr member
    5' 10" size L.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    5'6" on a medium

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    done for the most part. i think it needs a flat bar? robbed the crank and seat off my trc. waiting for those two parts to arrive in the mail. the lefty isn't an spv max anymore. i converted it to the newest pbr parts. it's now air sprung " width="549">" width="549">

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    5'-10" - 32" inseam
    Size Medium.
    Tallboy C.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coming soon... From Córdoba (Spain)

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806197.941060.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806216.630287.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806253.755405.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806275.752038.jpg
    Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354806299.459836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I am new to the forum. I just bought myself a 2012 tallboy aluminum on special. I have been riding trails and the occasional rock gardens for the past couple of years trying to get into better shape. I convinced myself that if I rode my old bike for a couple years I could justify getting myself a new bike. I am a 37 yo dad with 3 kids so I have to choose my expenditures wisely

So my last bike was a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS I bought new when I was in college in 1996 (previous model year special) for $550. I loved that bike. It was very light (lighter than my tallboy) and it was pretty fast. I found myself avoiding rocks, ruts, and roots because it felt like it was rattling the teeth out of my skull. Plus needless to say after being 380 pounds at my heaviest my back can get thrown out pretty easily. Thankfully I am now at a more manageable 250 lbs (I'm 6'4").

So I had no clue about any current bike technology. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Well I test rode that, a Salsa, and a couple other bikes and they all felt the same to me. I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Then my friend loaned me his 2011 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I rode it on my normal 11.5 mile loop during lunch and it felt so sluggish. It wasn't dialed in for me but I was just not convinced. It did give me some confidence for the roots and rocks. I found myself looking for stuff to ride over. But I was worried I would regret the purchase. So I started looking some more on my LBS's web site and found they had a 2012 Tallboy for a couple hundred more than the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp so I decided I would call and see if they still had it in stock. Turns out they did and it was actually cheaper than what they had listed several hundred off of the normal bike price. So I went down and test rode it and I was instantly impressed. It felt so quick and nimble. I even had them bring out a Stumpjumper for me to compare it to in the parking lot. I was so amazed at the difference.

Anyway I ended up buying it on the spot and I am so excited. It is a 2012 Tallboy Al Rx C. I had them convert it to tubeless there and add a bike cage. Ignore the pedals they are the cheap ones they threw on. I have clipless from my old bike I transferred over (even though they are silver and I wish they were black). I didn't have time to take it on any sweet jumps but I am taking it out today for my first trail ride. I am so excited!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-bike.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    380 down to 250, Great effort.

Keep up the riding it is good for you.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Amazing how the technology has changed. Congrats and enjoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ummgood View Post
    Well I am new to the forum. I just bought myself a 2012 tallboy aluminum on special. I have been riding trails and the occasional rock gardens for the past couple of years trying to get into better shape. I convinced myself that if I rode my old bike for a couple years I could justify getting myself a new bike. I am a 37 yo dad with 3 kids so I have to choose my expenditures wisely

So my last bike was a 1995 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS I bought new when I was in college in 1996 (previous model year special) for $550. I loved that bike. It was very light (lighter than my tallboy) and it was pretty fast. I found myself avoiding rocks, ruts, and roots because it felt like it was rattling the teeth out of my skull. Plus needless to say after being 380 pounds at my heaviest my back can get thrown out pretty easily. Thankfully I am now at a more manageable 250 lbs (I'm 6'4").

So I had no clue about any current bike technology. I went into my LBS thinking I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp. Well I test rode that, a Salsa, and a couple other bikes and they all felt the same to me. I just wasn't sure what I wanted. Then my friend loaned me his 2011 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I rode it on my normal 11.5 mile loop during lunch and it felt so sluggish. It wasn't dialed in for me but I was just not convinced. It did give me some confidence for the roots and rocks. I found myself looking for stuff to ride over. But I was worried I would regret the purchase. So I started looking some more on my LBS's web site and found they had a 2012 Tallboy for a couple hundred more than the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp so I decided I would call and see if they still had it in stock. Turns out they did and it was actually cheaper than what they had listed several hundred off of the normal bike price. So I went down and test rode it and I was instantly impressed. It felt so quick and nimble. I even had them bring out a Stumpjumper for me to compare it to in the parking lot. I was so amazed at the difference.

Anyway I ended up buying it on the spot and I am so excited. It is a 2012 Tallboy Al Rx C. I had them convert it to tubeless there and add a bike cage. Ignore the pedals they are the cheap ones they threw on. I have clipless from my old bike I transferred over (even though they are silver and I wish they were black). I didn't have time to take it on any sweet jumps but I am taking it out today for my first trail ride. I am so excited!

I had the same experience you had except unfortunately I had already bought the Stumpjumper so it was a costly lesson. Based on what you're saying I think you'll enjoy the hell out of the bike. I know my TBc feel much more nimble than my SJ did.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    25lb. range!!!! got the crank and seat. hopefully lose a couple hundred more grams swapping the bar and stem. " width="549">

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whoa, that is light for the aluminum bike!

Good on ya!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi folks!

Here's mine. Bought it after 2 years on a Blur XC.

In these intermediate config, the weight is 10,56kg with pedals. I've also other wheels (Asterion Carbon 29) and some ideas to go under 10kg in the pure XC version.
    I will also have an Enduro version with a Reverb and DT tricon wheels with Hans Dampf 2.35 tires.

size does matter !!!
    Nov 2012
    Hello Olibabe, that's n awesome build up - and a very nice topshot! ride on and enjoy the tallboy light!

mtbr member
    Excellent photos, loving the red/black theme.
    konahonzo

bike addict
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Just Arrived Tuesday and I got to go for a ride yesterday. This is my first full suspension bike and my first 29er. I really love this bike, it makes everything feel so easy, going fast takes so little effort.

I got the AL Version with a 2013 SPXxc 3X10 Kit & the upgraded rear shock. I did however change a few things right away.

Ergon GS-1 Grips
    Kenda Small Block 8s
    i-Spec Mounts
    36pt Star Ratchet
    Cytoe Skidplate
    Shimano XT Pedals

I am still waiting for my 10mm DT RWS for the rear and 180mm rotor for the front.

Satin Clear

mtbr member
    How are the iSpec mounts? I'm contemplating them, but wasn't sure how much position adjustment they allow. Can you post a cockpit photo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

Nicely done. Definitely more AM than XC.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Homebrew mud deflector mod. .090 uhmw leftover from my machine shop days. " width="549">" width="549">" width="549">

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Homebrew mud deflector mod. .090 uhmw leftover from my machine shop days. " width="549">" width="549">" width="549">
    Do yourself a favor
    Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

olibabe was it easy to fit a hollowgram on the tallboy?

I've been looking at hollowgrams on ebay. I am currently running the E13 with the 30mm spindle, but I thought you couldn't run a hollowgram with a 73mm BB shell.

Please enlighten me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I've been looking at hollowgrams on ebay. I am currently running the E13 with the 30mm spindle, but I thought you couldn't run a hollowgram with a 73mm BB shell.

Please enlighten me.
    They make BB's that convert.

Next to the last one on the page: First Components-Bottom Brackets

OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Not nearly enough photos in this thread, so here's a few of my new Tallboy AL. Thanks again Santa (Cruz, that is)!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's my new 2012 TBa from the Virtual Garage sale.

Light Bicycle wider carbon Rims with King Hubs, Ardent 2.4/ 2.25, XT brakes 180/160, SLX 3 X 10, Fox DOSS dropper post, 100mm Fox F29 fork

Weighs in at 28 pounds- great all around bike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    super XC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dscn9900-editar.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-dscn9895-editar.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They make BB's that convert.

Next to the last one on the page: First Components-Bottom Brackets

Hello!

I don't know the BB30 from E13 but I think it will work. I ride the Rotor BSA30 on my bike and the First presented above will also be an option.

To mount the Hollowgram on a BSA30 BB, you'll need a special 132mm spindle without Edge: Cannondale BB30 Spindle 132mm Alloy | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Headed for sub 25lb. With my ALU tallboy. Wait'n for a couple more parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    How are the iSpec mounts? I'm contemplating them, but wasn't sure how much position adjustment they allow. Can you post a cockpit photo?
    I am liking them so far. They offer about an inch or so of lateral adjustment. In the pictures they are adjusted to the outside of the bike as far as they can go.

mtbr member
    Good to know... Not sure I want to spend $50 on them, but if I can get a deal I may change over to them. The single clamp is much nicer looking than the double.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi...taking few seconds to tell you that you've inspired me....after seiing your bike build up....it fixed my mind and bought same frame, same color on Santa Cruz outlet website....I was looking to buy this frame but didn't know what color to choose from....i've rode one about 35 miles in last October...it's a super bike....I'm starting to build mine next week.....got a red Chris King headset....Black fox Fork and a WTB white saddle...full XTR....will post a picture when it's done.......Thank you again....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is a late Christmas/birthday present from the wife. I will build it up over the next few months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imgp4528.jpg  

mtbr member
    HOT present.
    I did not know that they were available in raw finish?

mtbr member
    They applied some type of finish over the raw. I thought it was going to be like a painted clear, but it's not. It's the same finish as MrPretty's, but it looks much better in person. I'm really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well ive had mine for awhile and never posted pics but here she is......its my only bike so it has a mix of parts....its has to be my race bike, xc bike, all mountain my everything bike. 25.5lbs as pictured 3/4lbs less with a non dropper seatpost. i cant or wont get it any lighter since its just the right amount of weight and strength for my weight of 180lbs. as you all know the tallboy is awesome!

mtbr member
    29er #2 - my Tallboy AL and loving it!!. Purchased frame back around Thanksgiving from SC yard sale. Finished buildup end of December. Current setup weighs in at 29.5 lbs, but plan to purchase a lighter wheel set this spring and give the Flows back to the Niner. 1x10 with a 30t Bling Ring up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Final version. I got it down below 25lbs. 24.96 actually

Last edited by kidd; 01-19-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: forgot to copy a second url for the second pic

mtbr member
    kidd,
    I take it you're running 1x10 with the big ring as a bash guard? I don't see any front derailleur...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Got a really good deal on eBay. For the crank set and ceramic bb. I'll never use the big ring. Unless I put some time in on the trainer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've had mine for about a year and a half now, and still like it a lot. It just does everything well from racing to technical trail riding For racing or smooth trails I set the suspension stiffer and use a lighter set of wheels/tires.

This was a stock SPX kit with RP23 kashima. I've done the following upgrades:

• Frameskins frame protection
    • Cytoe bashguard
    • Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3 tires
    • XTR Trail pedals
    • X0 crankset, 22/33/bash
    • Homebrewed components bashguard
    • XT Shadow-plus mid-cage rear derailleur
    • XT double front derailleur
    • DT Swiss 36T star ratchet upgrade
    • DT Swiss RWS 10mm thru-axle
    • Easton EC70 XC Wide flat handlebars
    • ESI Chunky grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-20jan13-med.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have work to do today.

NMBP

My new Tallboy

I picked up a 2012 XXL Tallboy C for an amazing price before Christmas, and it is finally complete.

X-9 Drive train
    XT Brakes
    Revelation XX fork with 20mm axle (Replaced the XX damper/lockout with RTC3 damper)
    10mm DT Swiss RWS Skewer
    Flow/Pro2 wheels
    Thomson post
    Answer carbon hi rise bars/70mm stem
    XTR Pedals

28 pounds on the nose currently with a pair of 2.25 Nobby Nics. Not too bad for an XXL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-2-large-.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-1-large-.jpg  

gwm
    heckler and jekyll
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart4070 View Post
    Hi...taking few seconds to tell you that you've inspired me....after seiing your bike build up....it fixed my mind and bought same frame, same color on Santa Cruz outlet website....I was looking to buy this frame but didn't know what color to choose from....i've rode one about 35 miles in last October...it's a super bike....I'm starting to build mine next week.....got a red Chris King headset....Black fox Fork and a WTB white saddle...full XTR....will post a picture when it's done.......Thank you again....
    No way! That's awesome! go for it! Glad to have inspired you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My Tallboy

Here is my XL Tallboy in the Raw finish

Stem: Easton Haven
    Wheels: Eston Haven
    Handlebars: Eston Haven Carbon
    Seatpost: Crank Bros Joplin
    Drivetrain: Full XT Dynasis
    Brakes: XT 180mm fron andmm 160 rear
    Front tire: Bontrager 29-3 2.25
    Rear tire: Specialized Captain 2.25
    Fork: Fox F29 120mm
    Seat: Fiziks
    Pedals: Time ATAC
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King Gold ceramic bearings
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Not sure of the weight but my guess is about 26lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-imag0599.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, Attaboy present for the forseeable future

Hey Everyone
    I am the proud owner of a 2012 Tallboy carbon that I built a few weeks ago. I got the frame for Christmas and started shopping for parts.
    We have had nothing but rain since Christmas so I could take my time. Finally finished it January 12. It has exactly ONE trail ride on it because of all the rain!

Anyway here is the build:
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy c Large
    Fox Talas 120 Terralogic Kashima
    Fox RP23 Kashima
    DT Swiss 350 hubs and XR400 rims
    X0 Cranks 2x10
    X0 Shifters
    X0 Brakes
    X0 Rear Der.
    XT Frnt Der.
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires
    Race Face Next carbon bar
    East EC70 carbon seatpost
    WTB Rocket V SLT saddle [installed after picture was taken]
    KMC x10sl gold chain
    Jaguar cables
    Marin stem
    Crank Bro. grips
    Crank Bro. candy pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-p1128836.jpg  

Last edited by Mr. Maestro; 02-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My new Tallboy Al, weird logo and graphics?

My new sale Tallboy Al frame just arrived. I can't wait to start building it! Has anyone ever seen these graphics on a tallboy or a santa cruz for that matter? The font is differant than any photos I have seen. In fact I have never seen white letters on a black Tallboy. (I like it though.) It is going to look sick with the Fulcrum Red Power XL's I just bought.

Is this because it is a Tallboy al 1? I know mine has the 135mm rear, but for $900 I am pumped.

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-tallboy-frame1.jpg

mtbr member
    Venturewest, my Tallboy AL also was the black with white letters... I specifically ordered it that way! Here's a shot of it all built up with the same wheels you got. (Sorry, cell phone pic isn't the clearest)

Notice that, while the color scheme is the same, the lettering for the Santa Cruz is different. I ordered mine the first week of December, also from the sale.

mtbr member
    I also went back through a few, and noticed several differences in fonts on bikes. There's another black AL in post 956 that has the same lower graphics as mine, but the scripted Tallboy near the headtube! Interesting to say the least...

edit:

After looking at SC's website, it looks like somebody put the white logo from the Jackal on Venturewest's Tallboy. Also, the scripted Tallboy I saw at the top of the page looks just like the Tallboy logo from the Tallboy carbon. Sounds like SC might be running low on decals and having to mix and match them or something...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I kind of wondered if they aren't just using up the logos they had, or if there was a chance the painters used the wrong logos. Like I said, I don't mind it at all.

I was happy to see the Fox CTD was a 2013 model with 2013 brochure. (I don't know if they are differant or better but it makes me feel like I am buying something brand new.

Have you weighed your Tallboy with the Fulcrums?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Venturewest, my Tallboy AL also was the black with white letters... I specifically ordered it that way! Here's a shot of it all built up with the same wheels you got. (Sorry, cell phone pic isn't the clearest)

Notice that, while the color scheme is the same, the lettering for the Santa Cruz is different. I ordered mine the first week of December, also from the sale.
    Nice Looking Bike! Any idea what it weighs built up with those wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    My new sale Tallboy Al frame just arrived. I can't wait to start building it! Has anyone ever seen these graphics on a tallboy or a santa cruz for that matter? The font is differant than any photos I have seen. In fact I have never seen white letters on a black Tallboy. (I like it though.) It is going to look sick with the Fulcrum Red Power XL's I just bought.

Is this because it is a Tallboy al 1? I know mine has the 135mm rear, but for $900 I am pumped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tallboy frame1.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	771751
    I like the big block letters on there. But your Tallboy is the only exception lol. Looks good on black with the white. SC had a weird run of these big block letters as seen on this Butcher frame as well. Doesn't look good here IMO, definitely tacky and unoriginal. Originally they were offered as part of the CCCP (Custom Color Choice Program) which never really took off and they axed it. I have a feeling your Tallboy might be one of those from the program. I've never seen another one like it.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I like the big block letters on there. But your Tallboy is the only exception lol. Looks good on black with the white. SC had a weird run of these big block letters as seen on this Butcher frame as well. Doesn't look good here IMO, definitely tacky and unoriginal. Originally they were offered as part of the CCCP (Custom Color Choice Program) which never really took off and they axed it. I have a feeling your Tallboy might be one of those from the program. I've never seen another one like it.
    It seems like even on a sale that they should tell you that the graphics or logos may vary from the photos. There are thumbnails of most of the colors and all of them show the other "outline" Santa Cruz" font. I think the other logo looks better because it extends down the frame further. These block letters are kind of floating up by the headtube. Maybe they will send me a discount! Hah

mtbr member

Trying a Tallboy

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-p1040050.jpgNew Tallboy. Rides awesome! More pics coming soon. Battery dead!

mtbr member
    It seems like even on a sale that they should tell you that the graphics or logos may vary from the photos. There are thumbnails of most of the colors and all of them show the other "outline" Santa Cruz" font. I think the other logo looks better because it extends down the frame further. These block letters are kind of floating up by the headtube. Maybe they will send me a discount! Hah
    That is strange and I agree, they should mention the graphics or logos may vary. Did you call or send them an email asking what's up?
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    That is strange and I agree, they should mention the graphics or logos may vary. Did you call or send them an email asking what's up?
    I haven't followed up yet. I am not super bummed or anything, but it would be good to at least see if receiving this graphic was a fluke. I actually think that another poster was correct that this was a Custom Color Painting program frame. You could chose your paint and your graphics scheme. I kind of figure it is almost a one of a kind frame. It has a sticker that says it was custom painted in Santa Cruz, CA. Maybe they all have that sticker?

mtbr member
    I don't remember if mine had a sticker or not. It's a great looking frame and I agree, it must be a CCCP frame. Can't wait to see the final build and you'll love the ride!!
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Nice Looking Bike! Any idea what it weighs built up with those wheels?
    Haven't had it on a scale yet... Need to do that. My guess is that I'm around 27lbs (lg frame). Full XT, Thomson seatpost, Easton Carbon bar, cheap Nashbar stem (testing length at this point), tires that are ~700g each...

When I get it on the scale, I'll post up and include the full spec.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey dnlwthrn,

this bike was a CCCP bike, they don't come with lettering unless custom ordered this way. They normally come with the very big block letters that goes all the way up and down the downtube.

Someone may have ordered it then bailed out so they were stuck with it. Thats why it was probably from the sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

AW: Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?

Here is mine...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-uploadfromtaptalk1361546444664.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bodan208 View Post
    Here is mine...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk 2
    Very clean and it just looks fast. Sweet.

mtbr member

Rock Protector

Just finished my rock protector. Three layers of carbon and fits perfect. I just need to get some little rubber standoffs
    so that the protector sits 1/8"-1/16" off the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-protector1_s.jpg  

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?-protector2_s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Had a TRc for a year with no complaints, when an opportunity suddenly arose to switch to a new 4" Tallboy carbon without shelling out too much cash. This bike actually suits my riding style a lot better, which predominantly focus on the climbing part and mileage aspect of the sport.
    Here it is after 3 rides:

Tallboy carbon, size XL.
    Weight as pictured, including dropper post, bottle cage, pedals, GPS mount and Cytoe downtube guard is just shy of 27.5 lbs

Fork: Revelation dual air, 140mm, but 'negative aired' down to 120mm.
    Hubs: DT 350 12x142 rear, WTB 20mm front
    Rims: Stan's Crest
    Spokes: DT comp, alloy nipples
    XT 42-32-22 triple crank.
    XT front der
    XT rear der
    XT 11-36 cassette
    XT 160mm Ice-Tech rotors.
    XTR race brakes with XTR shifters, I-spec mounted.
    Easton EC70 bars and Haven 50mm stem.
    Ergon Race grips
    Gravity Dropper Turbo seat post with 1" and 4" drops.
    Saddle: WTB Rocket w TI rails
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Chain: cheap SRAM
    Front tire: Ardent 2.25, non Lust, set up tubeless
    Rear tire: Conti X-king 2.2, set up tubeless
    Pedals: SMAC

mtbr member
    You do know there's an easier way to limit travel that won't affect your suspension performance right?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Had a TRc for a year with no complaints, when an opportunity suddenly arose to switch to a new 4" Tallboy carbon without shelling out too much cash. This bike actually suits my riding style a lot better, which predominantly focus on the climbing part and mileage aspect of the sport.
    Here it is after 3 rides:

Tallboy carbon, size XL.
    Weight as pictured, including dropper post, bottle cage, pedals, GPS mount and Cytoe downtube guard is just shy of 27.5 lbs

Fork: Revelation dual air, 140mm, but 'negative aired' down to 120mm.
    Hubs: DT 350 12x142 rear, WTB 20mm front
    Rims: Stan's Crest
    Spokes: DT comp, alloy nipples
    XT 42-32-22 triple crank.
    XT front der
    XT rear der
    XT 11-36 cassette
    XT 160mm Ice-Tech rotors.
    XTR race brakes with XTR shifters, I-spec mounted.
    Easton EC70 bars and Haven 50mm stem.
    Ergon Race grips
    Gravity Dropper Turbo seat post with 1" and 4" drops.
    Saddle: WTB Rocket w TI rails
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Chain: cheap SRAM
    Front tire: Ardent 2.25, non Lust, set up tubeless
    Rear tire: Conti X-king 2.2, set up tubeless
    Pedals: SMAC
    Nice bike. So your saying this climbs way better than the TRc? Thinking about snagging 1 just for climbing aspect.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Haven't had it on a scale yet... Need to do that. My guess is that I'm around 27lbs (lg frame). Full XT, Thomson seatpost, Easton Carbon bar, cheap Nashbar stem (testing length at this point), tires that are ~700g each...

When I get it on the scale, I'll post up and include the full spec.
    So I finally weighed it last night. 29.0lbs

Full specs:
    Tallboy 1.0 AL frame, size L
    Fox Float CTD shock
    Fox Float 120 CTD fork
    Shimano XT (780 series) 2x10 drivetrain, 770 10sp cassette (11-36)
    Shimano XT (780 series) brakes, 180 F, 160R
    Easton EC70 XC riser bar (685mm)
    Lizard Skins Peaty lock-on grips
    Crank Bros Candy pedals (clearance at Performance)
    Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL wheels, tubeless with Stan's kit
    Continental X-King 2.2 front, Race King 2.0 rear tires
    Nashbar OS stem (from previous bike)
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Hope seatpost clamp, spacers, rear skewer (for the bling)
    Bontrager saddle (from previous bike)
    Performance branded "carbon" bottle cage.

Am I forgetting anything?

I have some Schwalbe RaRa 2.25's that weigh in about 80g less (each) than the Conti's, and might throw those on at some point. I could swap to a lighter saddle, but my butt likes this one. Dropping the stem some will remove a few more grams, and won't bother me (probably going to do it for the ergos anyways). The Candys aren't the lightest pedals, but I've been running eggbeaters of one form or another for 6 years and these were cheap.

I guess I need to stop thinking about the weight and ride it. I've already dropped 7lbs of body weight this winter/spring, and probably can drop 10 more if I keep at it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Grabbed this off the sale. Stripped my jet and put the parts on this!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by warwagon View Post
    Grabbed this off the sale. Stripped my jet and put the parts on this!
    I'd be interested in hearing how you like it compared to the Niner
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'd be interested in hearing how you like it compared to the Niner
    Headed to the trail now. Hopefully a little more plush and playful.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by warwagon View Post
    Headed to the trail now. Hopefully a little more plush and playful.
    My money is on you will miss the CVA.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    You should tell him why or don't you feel like telling him what a POS his new bike is?

Since these are such shitty bikes why do you even bother reading this thread?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well the differences are bigger than I thought! The tallboy was much funner to ride! As far as Jet vs tb; the tallboy climbed better for me due to the fact that I could float the front end up better than the jet. I could balance the TB better at stall speeds over roots and chunk! I felt like I could lean into corners harder than I could before!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wanting to buy a medium blue or matte black tallboy carbon frame.. Anyone?

I should be out riding

Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?

Why is a guy that hates tallboys trolling a tallboy thread ?
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's a motorcycle.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Why is a guy that hates tallboys trolling a tallboy thread ?
    Certainly is strange. The guy seems obsessed with disparaging the bike that clearly works well for so many.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10