mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. Should I stay or should I go? Blur TRC sizing insecurity

Guys

about 6 month ago I bought a small Blur TRC frame, which is up to day the best frame I ever possesed. It's light, stiff incredibly fast - short everything I want a bike to be. But where there's light, there is also shadow... Somehow I am not sure, if I should have better taken a medium sized frame instead of the small one. I chose the small because I always have ridden small frames so far, and my Nomad C, which I have ridden before, was a small frame as well. But with the TRC, I can't really say what it is but the frame feels very small and when I sit on the bike i feal really cramped.
    I just enterd my number into the Competitive Cyclist Bike Fit Calculator and according to this numbers I could easily take the medium frame. For your information, I am about 1.66 m (a little more than 5' 5") tall, my inseam is about 76 cm (about 29.9 inch). According to Santa Cruz I could take either a small or a medium frame.

How tall are you, those that ride a medium Blur TRC? Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Don't overthink it, if it feels to small and it's worth selling yours and the amount you'll need to invest in a new M sized Frame go for it. Trust your instincts, and ask yourself how you feel when you ride it. Size charts are suggestions. I'm 6' and my L XCc felt a tad stretched, but for a playbike id prefer the M. So search your feelings Luke, let the force guide you.
    ORP

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am 5'6 and ride a small TRc with a 60mm stem and it feels awesome to me. Great riding position both up and downhill, nimble and responsive, everything I wanted. Smallwith an 80mm stem and the medium just felt to long for me to get comfortable and keep the bike flowing how I liked.
    Bikes are a very personal experience and if it does not feel right for you, see if you can demo a medium or adjust stem length to see if you can get it how you want it.
    One size does not fit all.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Look on SC geometry for the bike, there is usually on 1" difference in each of the sizes, particularly the top tube and seat tube.

My large Heckler felt a bit small, so I simply bought one of these

Truvativ Stylo T40 Seatpost 2012

Truvativ Stylo T40 Seatpost 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

raised it an inch, and it sets the seat back an inch, in effect giving me XL frame contact points, seat, bars, pedals etc.

Worked a treat and for such little cash i'd give it a try.

I also run a 95mm stem which gives more room, with super wide bars.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you for your replies. I think I should "simulating" a bigger frame size with the hint capoz77 gave me to find out if the M frame will work. Even though it won't be the same because with that much setback of the seatpost, my riding position will be much different I assume (e.g. much more towards the rear wheel).

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A small NomadC has a reach of 14.1 inches, a small Blur TrC a reach of 14.8 inches. If you had the same stem length, handle bar width on both bikes and set the nose of your seat the same height above the bottom bracket and the same distance fore or aft of the BB, the Blur should feel more stretched out than the Nomad. The Nomad's seat tube angle at 71.5 is less steep than the Blur's 72.5, so as you raise the saddle on the Nomad, it will tend to move a little further back then as you raise the saddle on the Blur, assuming you don't adjust the seat rail position on the seat rail clamp.

Fore and aft seat position on an MTB isn't quite as precise on a road bike, but if you move the seat too far back or too far forward it will impact pedaling efficiency and could lead to knee injuries. Usually you set your seat position with respect to the BB the same from bike to bike, and then use the bike's reach measurement to get an idea of stem length and handlebar width you need for a particular size frame(S, M, L). Stack height plays into it also.

Most but not all Santa Cruz riders, seem to prefer to move up a size if they are between sizes. Either size bike can be set up to fit you, wider bars longer stem on the small frame, narrower bars, shorter stem on the medium frame. Adjusting seat position fore and aft is also on the mix. I go through the same thing with my bikes, I am between sizes, so have to be careful that I don't end up on a frame where one of the adjustments on stem length, handlebar width, or seat position is a little too far out of range.

MarkyMark
    I don't ride a TRc, but I have a Blur Classic, a Blur LT aluminum, and a Blur LTc. I'm 5'10 w/ 32" inseam and right between a medium and large.

The Blur Classic is medium. Both LT's are large.

I've started riding my Blur Classic again and I'm wondering if I should have stayed with medium on my LTs. Example: There's a little table top that I hit on my normal ride. I clear it and get the downside with the LTs. On the Classic I was overshooting and landing flat ~3 feet past the downside without any issue. I think it's a combo of going faster and having a smaller bike that I can pull up and control easier.

My medium Blur Classic is the *best* fit for me by far.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10.5" with about a 31" inseam and ride a medium (and love it). Based on SC's sizing chart I could go with either a medium or a large but I prefer the smaller cockpit. I haven't looked at SC's website for small sizing but I think a medium would be a tad big, but a lot is up to preference and riding style. There are a lot of guys my size that ride a large frame and prefer that, but I'm going to make a guess: you're probably over thinking it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    I don't ride a TRc, but I have a Blur Classic, a Blur LT aluminum, and a Blur LTc. I'm 5'10 w/ 32" inseam and right between a medium and large.

The Blur Classic is medium. Both LT's are large.

I've started riding my Blur Classic again and I'm wondering if I should have stayed with medium on my LTs. Example: There's a little table top that I hit on my normal ride. I clear it and get the downside with the LTs. On the Classic I was overshooting and landing flat ~3 feet past the downside without any issue. I think it's a combo of going faster and having a smaller bike that I can pull up and control easier.

My medium Blur Classic is the *best* fit for me by far.
    Interesting. Your speed at the face of the jump is one difference, but so is your suspension and whether you're pre-loading and jumping off the lip versus soaking up the lip with your body.

Anyway, I don't see that it has a lot to do with sizing. The fact you like the medium makes me wonder how you've got the cockpit setup compared to your two LTs. (Why haven't you sold one of the LTs btw? )

I also have a Blur classic, and it has a short top tube compared to current models, especially the Bronson, Solo and Blur TR. My bike is an XL with a 70mm stem and 660mm bars, and I'm 6'0" with long arms.

MarkyMark
    I'm loading and popping off the lip.

re sizing: Dirt jumpers and DH bikes generally have relatively small cockpits w/ the seat slammed.

I run a variety of cockpit setups:
    - Blur: 100mm Spec stem w/ RF Deus XC low-riser bar
    - LTal: 100mm RF Turbine stem w/ Easton XC70 carbon high-rise bar
    - LTc : 85mm Haven stem + Haven carbon bar

I've taken the Blur and LT Al on long rides (40+ miles) so the fit is good for me. The LTc is a very new addition so I haven't taken it out on long rides yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Interesting. Your speed at the face of the jump is one difference, but so is your suspension and whether you're pre-loading and jumping off the lip versus soaking up the lip with your body.

Anyway, I don't see that it has a lot to do with sizing. The fact you like the medium makes me wonder how you've got the cockpit setup compared to your two LTs. (Why haven't you sold one of the LTs btw? )

I also have a Blur classic, and it has a short top tube compared to current models, especially the Bronson, Solo and Blur TR. My bike is an XL with a 70mm stem and 660mm bars, and I'm 6'0" with long arms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    I'm loading and popping off the lip.

re sizing: Dirt jumpers and DH bikes generally have relatively small cockpits w/ the seat slammed.

I run a variety of cockpit setups:
    - Blur: 100mm Spec stem w/ RF Deus XC low-riser bar
    - LTal: 100mm RF Turbine stem w/ Easton XC70 carbon high-rise bar
    - LTc : 85mm Haven stem + Haven carbon bar

I've taken the Blur and LT Al on long rides (40+ miles) so the fit is good for me. The LTc is a very new addition so I haven't taken it out on long rides yet.
    RE: Bold, yes they do. But none of your bikes is a DJ. Neither is mine, and I jump it, and I have a dropper for that. (Could just slam a normal post, of course.)

If you have a 50-60mm stem laying around, or can borrow one from a buddy, I'd be curious to see what you think of your LTc with that.