mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Should I apply anti-seize compoun to VPP on brand new Tallboy (Or any other SC bike)

Hi!

I read the thread about taking apart VPP ink and applying anti-seize compound on axles to bikes that been used for year or so..

I was wondering if this should be done with brand new bikes, as a "pre-use" service maintenance.

mtbr member
    i would use (non lithium) marine grease. the bike should come with a grease gun filled with blue marine grease. thats what all the instructional videos from SC says. they never mention putting an anti seize compound on anything.

aside from that grease and Loctite on the threads, i wouldnt put anything else in your VPP links....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    i would use (non lithium) marine grease. the bike should come with a grease gun filled with blue marine grease. thats what all the instructional videos from SC says. they never mention putting an anti seize compound on anything.

aside from that grease and Loctite on the threads, i wouldnt put anything else in your VPP links....
    Thank you .. They are referring to anti-seize compound in the sticky posted on top about overhaul of VPP link VPP Linkage Overhaul Pictorial

mtbr member
    Yes you can.
    Just loctite the chainring bolt looking thing.

Edit: I anti-seize the collet wedge, the expansion sleeve, the axle, BUT I loctite the M5 and M4 collet bolt into the axle, torqued to spec.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlov0032 View Post
    Thank you .. They are referring to anti-seize compound in the sticky posted on top about overhaul of VPP link VPP Linkage Overhaul Pictorial
    just FYI - that is a really old overview, for the 1st gen VPP hardware. SC has a bunch of updated videos on their website going over all this maintenance: VPP lower axle maintenance | Santa Cruz Bicycles

i guess you CAN use anti-seize, its just not what SC specs....