Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shot/Ball peen in frames?

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ettore 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed an absurd amount of left over shot/ball peen inside their frames?

Edit: Anodized frames that is.

#3 ·
Sorry, I just couldn't believe what I saw. I tried to snap some photos, was not very easy.

This is a year later. King headset was installed, frame faced, and all work done and inspected by professional shop. No balls anywhere. Clean frame. I even eyed it over.

I pulled my king out for some strange sounds and I find this mess. I'm blown away not at the shop who installed my headset, but by the SC ano guys QA job.

Attachments

#6 ·
I don't know much about this stuff. Are these "hard" in that they are metal or ceramic or another material or are they soft? I have something similar in a used 4X frame I picked up, but the little balls seem to crush with very little pressure between my fingers and look like lube in ball form....

#10 ·
good friend had the same problem, did a lot of damage to his steer tube. starting to cut through it and the bottom of the headset and top of the crown. would be a good idea to check the ano bikes just to be sure. if the steer tube is cut/broke/falls out you're in BIG trouble.

#11 ·
mainecorrado said:
good friend had the same problem, did a lot of damage to his steer tube. starting to cut through it and the bottom of the headset and top of the crown. would be a good idea to check the ano bikes just to be sure. if the steer tube is cut/broke/falls out you're in BIG trouble.
I pulled out the fork and almost crapped my pants when I saw the same exact thing. It looked like a pipe cutter was on my steer tube. My headset looked like it got threads put into the inside of it.

I hate to say it but I am looking else where for a new frame when the time comes. :)

Attachments

#18 ·
really sorry to see the damage to your parts. i had an ano vp-free and the same thing happened to me. when i first got the bike there was loose shot and we tried to blow it out (in hindsight vacuuming may have been a better idea). we put the bike together, no problem. but, normal riding redistributed the shot resulting in:

- a totally marred seatpost and pretty good guages in the seatube
- after i removed the bottom bracket for normal service and subsequently re-installed, the bits of shot which fell through the seattube when the bb was removed resulted in thread damage when i went to put the bb back in.

given this experience, i would hesitant to get another ano frame. if i did, i would be obsessive about getting the shot out.

#20 ·
has anyone tried dropping a small magnet attached to a string in the frame tubes to collect the shot? i am not sure completely what they are made of but if they are steel then you should be able to remove the loose shot with a magnet. just an idea no idea if it is possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.