mtbr member

Shorter riders > NomadC size Small or Medium?

I'm looking into getting a NomadC and was wondering about sizing. I'm 5'4 with a 29" inseam and long arms. I've always went with size small frames and they've been kinda small for me even with 70mm stems. I'm currently on a medium Uprising with a 35mm stem and 760 bars and it feels pretty good. I tried comparing the geo and it's a close one. From the numbers the small just looks too small but the medium seems a hare big. What's your experience been?
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    I would say both S and M will fit you. But if your coming from an M Uprising and like it, go with an M NomadC with a short stem. (50mm to 35mm)
    I'm 5'8'' with a 31 inseam and had an M Nomad C that felt kind of small on the TT. I then got an L size which i liked better.
    I went with an M on the N3 though.

But why are you swapping the Uprising with an NomadC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    I would say both S and M will fit you. But if your coming from an M Uprising and like it, go with an M NomadC with a short stem. (50mm to 35mm)
    I'm 5'8'' with a 31 inseam and had an M Nomad C that felt kind of small on the TT. I then got an L size which i liked better.
    I went with an M on the N3 though.

But why are you swapping the Uprising with an NomadC?
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards the medium.

I'm going for the NomadC because I broke the Uprising.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" on a medium with a 50mm stem and it's spot on. I have a 33" inseam but a pretty short arm span at 5'6". Any idea what your arm span is? I would imagine it's pretty wide if you can make a medium work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I'm looking into getting a NomadC and was wondering about sizing. I'm 5'4 with a 29" inseam and long arms. I've always went with size small frames and they've been kinda small for me even with 70mm stems. I'm currently on a medium Uprising with a 35mm stem and 760 bars and it feels pretty good. I tried comparing the geo and it's a close one. From the numbers the small just looks too small but the medium seems a hare big. What's your experience been?
    5'5" 28" inseam, short arms and the Medium is too big for me but the small I love. I just moved up from the Nomad C gen 2 which is shorter, not by much but the TT numbers but the reach feels quite a bit longer on the Gen 3 and roomier. The 35mm stem and 800mm bars are magic for me. I tried the Mach 6 which the TT is like 22.7 vs. 22 for the Nomad but the reach is greater on the N3 15.44" compared to 15.31" on the Pivot. I love being able to move my weight anywhere on the bike to best transmit weight through the pedals and bars. When I bike gets too long I feel like I have to chose to weight the pedals or bars but not both.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Damn, I'm 5'8" and looking at a small!

My small 5010 with a 60mm stem feels great, and the reach of the small Nomad is even longer - figure with a 35mm or so stem, it'd feel just about right. Got average legs and arms, but a short-ish torso though, so that seems to skew my fit preferences that way.

Could have just as easily gone with a medium 5010 and a shorter stem, but every time I've done that in the past, the bikes have always felt unwieldy and cumbersome to me. IMO, it's the wheelbase length of the longer bikes I dislike. Maybe. I dunno.

Am eyeing a Nomad frame to replace my aging Reign-X big bike/shuttle/lift assist/Moab trip bike.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a 29" inseam with a longer torso and the medium fits perfectly. I did however have to switch to a 125 mm dropper from the 150 mm.

mtbr member
    medium w/short stem
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Just can't fathom (for me and my short torso) being comfortable on a medium.

My small 5010, 60mms stem combo feels great. A med with a 35-40mms stem would "fit" but I like the tighter wheelbase.

Sm. Nomad reach is 17.3mms longer on paper - seems that with that same 35-40mms stem ought to feel about right for me. The reach on the med is 40mms longer! Even with a stubby stem, paired with the longer WB, I'm thinking it'll give me that too stretched out unwieldy feeling I've had with larger frames in the past, even with short stems.

Plus, the small is closest on paper to the frame it'd be replacing.

Really, really would love to try both and see, particularly in the tight techy stuff it would be on when NOT at the lifts.

Oh yeah: apologies for horning in on your thread. Very relevant to my interests though! My plan is to get this summer/fall season out of the current ride and pick up a Nomad frame over next winter to build up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Just can't fathom (for me and my short torso) being comfortable on a medium.

My small 5010, 60mms stem combo feels great. A med with a 35-40mms stem would "fit" but I like the tighter wheelbase.

Sm. Nomad reach is 17.3mms longer on paper - seems that with that same 35-40mms stem ought to feel about right for me. The reach on the med is 40mms longer! Even with a stubby stem, paired with the longer WB, I'm thinking it'll give me that too stretched out unwieldy feeling I've had with larger frames in the past, even with short stems.

Plus, the small is closest on paper to the frame it'd be replacing.

Really, really would love to try both and see, particularly in the tight techy stuff it would be on when NOT at the lifts.
    At 5.8 you are one of a very very few on a small Santa Cruz bike. Some 5.8 riders are on Large. I think you should at least try to demo a medium with a shorter stem.
    I am 5.8-5.9 and also trying do decide between M and L.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    At 5.8 you are one of a very very few on a small Santa Cruz bike. Some 5.8 riders are on Large. I think you should at least try to demo a medium with a shorter stem.
    I am 5.8-5.9 and also trying do decide between M and L.
    Yeah, I'd love to get a demo on both. As said though, all my prior experience sizing up on other bikes has either outright sucked, or been "meh" at best.

Just an odd combo of my short torso and how/what I like to ride.

Bodhisattva
    Im 5'9", long legs, short torso. The medium fits me perfectly. No way I'd consider a small.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Oh yeah: apologies for horning in on your thread. Very relevant to my interests though! My plan is to get this summer/fall season out of the current ride and pick up a Nomad frame over next winter to build up.
    No worries. Good to see a bunch of posts go up with different perspectives. I hopped on my wife's bike, which is a small, that has similar numbers to the small Nomad and there's no way I could fit that bike. The medium Evil actually has very similar numbers so I'm going to with the medium. I also tried my buddy's N2 in medium and it was a good fit. I think that's as close as I can get to trying it out for myself. I should ship in about 10 days and I'm pumped!

mtbr member
    My M Nomad arrived yesterday. I've squeezed 3 rides in so far. The medium fits me great. There is now way the small would have fit me. Loving the bike so far.