mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Shock upgrade for blur trc

Anyone have a good tip for a shock upgrade on the blur trc? The stock kashima fox rp23 is way to soft, no idea why they spec a low velocity tune, feels like I have a flat tire, had the same feeling on my blur xc....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Had the same feeling. Sold the xc and I'm plannng a TR & DBair (reg can). If you're avg joe the stock rp23 is really good - xc racing it was great cause I don't go balls out. But for playing it just don't cut it.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

mtbr member
    Changed the RP23 on my BLTc to a Marzocchi Roco TST - transformed the bike. Just bought a TRc - may consider doing the same at some stage.
    PAINT IT BLACK

mtbr member
    I had RP23 on the Blur LTa, and on the Blur LTc I have CTD. I like it a lot better than the RP23. I actually didn't like the RP23 at all. The CTD is better in every way, but it still comes with low damping tuning typical to Santa Cruz. It doesn't bother me that much. I don't close the shock nearly as frequently as I close the fork on this bike, but that's more of a fork issue. The rebound works really well and does not feel so much like "low tune". You can get strong rebound when you close the red dial, I run it on the open side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

If any of you are looking to sell your low tuned shocks, I am looking for one. I have a 90 pound son on a Nickel and even after sending it off to be tuned, the fox rl has way to much dampening.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Overall, I like the RP23 pretty well on my TRc, but I'm still trying to get it dialed in. I weigh 150 - 160 lbs. and do mostly technical XC-trail type riding, no really big drops or jumps.

I did find on a couple of rides that the bike felt better with the ProPedal set to 3 -- it felt kind of wallowy otherwise, but I usually ride with it set on 1 and just switch it to 3 for longer climbs that aren't too rocky.

Recently, I was feeling like it was kind of bouncy on rebound, so I increased the rebound damping quite a bit, and it feels better. I tend to run rebound on the softer side on both shocks and forks since I like to let the shocks do their thing and follow the terrain better, but on the TRc I've ended up with rebound at about 2/3 firm (4 clicks back from full slow, out of 12 clicks total).

I just sent the RP23 from my Tallboy to PUSH for a custom tune. If I like it, I might send them the RP23 from my TRc as well.

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    Anyone have a good tip for a shock upgrade on the blur trc? The stock kashima fox rp23 is way to soft, no idea why they spec a low velocity tune, feels like I have a flat tire, had the same feeling on my blur xc....
    Santa Cruz updated the tune when releasing the bike with the updated Fox CTD shock, so you may like that better. It is stiffer the the mid stroke, though still quite linear throughout. They have a new tune coning out very soon for the TRc which will firm up the mid stroke even more, increasing peddle efficiency and giving the bike a good solid feel. I thibk the new tune will be the ticket!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Any word on what the tune settings are for the new and newest Fox CTD shocks specific to the TRC?
    My Fox RP23 shock has boost =175, boost =low and rebound=M? I weigh 185 so will I like the CTD better? seem that I have to run lower pressure in order to get full travel now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Any word on what the tune settings are for the new and newest Fox CTD shocks specific to the TRC?
    My Fox RP23 shock has boost =175, boost =low and rebound=M? I weigh 185 so will I like the CTD better? seem that I have to run lower pressure in order to get full travel now?
    Anyone able to answer my question (above)? Thanks, Ken

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Float CDT from a 2013 Blur TRC:

Boost Valve Tune 175
    Rebound Tune M
    Velocity Tune L

I can't say more because I have never ridden the TRC with this shock (I swapped it for a DBAir).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    do you have the fox shock still and and if so do you want to sell it?
    Thanks,
    kenandwoo@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Any word on what the tune settings are for the new and newest Fox CTD shocks specific to the 2013/14 TRC?
    My Fox RP23 shock has boost =175, Velocity =low and rebound=M? I weigh 185 so will I like the CTD better? seem that I have to run lower pressure in order to get full travel now?

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Any word on what the tune settings are for the new and newest Fox CTD shocks specific to the 2013/14 TRC?
    My Fox RP23 shock has boost =175, Velocity =low and rebound=M? I weigh 185 so will I like the CTD better? seem that I have to run lower pressure in order to get full travel now?
    Santa Cruz haven't changed the tune since the original stated above (despite my information earlier in this thread, I discovered that was wrong). It's a shame, coz the stock tune is hokey.

mtbr member

I got rid of the volume spacer in mine and find the travel to be more plush and linear. I also get full travel now.

mtbr member
    Since this is a TRc shock thread...

For me the RP23 works ok, but you can feel quite a bit of heat with your leg or hand after a particular fast 3 minute trail (Atomic Dog on Galbraith). I'm thinking that will start to change or does change the dampening. It also is harsh on bottom out for jumpy aggressive riding. So, I think the rp23 is fine for most not super fast riding.

I bought a Monarch Plus RC3 M/M HV can. Worked much better on the bottom out and jumpy stuff, but I could feel it had too much compression on the little rooty, bumpy stuff.

So, the shock went to Suspension Experts. I told them how I ride it. (fyi, I said I'm faster then my friends, need big hit capacity and high speed enduro/super D type riding) They changed it to a L/L tune and "extra twist on compression something something..." I think it is good now. The small bump is similar to the cool rp23 but I don't feel the harsh bottom out on the bigger and fast stuff.

I'm not too good at voicing suspension things, but, My 2 pennies.

mtbr member
    +1^

Monarch Plus on a BLTc w/a self-shimmed custom'd tune from M/M to L/L. The RC3 doesn't do a full lockout...it still works even at the firmest setting...makes for very efficient climbing of super chunk/techy stuff but still move so you don't drop your kidneys
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮