mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Shock tuning options for Tallboy?

I have a 2011 Tallboy carbon, which I've had for about a year and a half now. It has the RP23 kashima shock and a 120mm Fox Float 32 RLC kashima fork. I'm planning to overhaul it soon, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding getting the shock and/or fork tuned. I will also be replacing all the suspension bearings, and the lower link, and I have already upgraded the shock bushings to the new Fox bushings.

Looking at the PUSH website, they do offer custom tuning for the RP23 shock. Is this a significant improvement for the Tallboy?

It looks as if they do not offer custom tuning for the 2011 RLC fork. It says they only offer this for RLC forks up to 2009. Why is this? If this is the case, I will probably just save my money and change the oil myself, and maybe upgrade to the new style seals.

Shock tuning options for Tallboy?-tallboy-20jan13-med.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Everything I've heard about Push has been good, so they should be able to take care of you. They respond well to emails, so I'd just get in touch with them. They will tune more than they show on their website.

bog
    mtbr member
    I just got my TallboyC RP23 Kashima back from Push after it lost some oil in the damper. i can't way I was too happy with the turnaround time but they certainly tuned my shock to perfection.
    I went for the full Factory tune and asked for it valved for my weight and XC riding style (firmer with Propedal on) but still plush when wide open. On my first ride I didn't feel much difference from the stock ride but I was tired and not riding hard at all. On my second ride I was able to push it on some very familiar trails and quickly realized how nice the tune was. The bike sat up in its travel much better while climbing steep trails, has better traction and was far smoother at speed with Propedal on or off! It is an expensive option but I can definitely say that it was worth it especially if your shock needs some TLC.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, bog. It's good to hear that you were happy with the results of the tuning. I spoke with PUSH yesterday and scheduled the tuning for my shock. Their next scheduled service was April 9, but since my shock is still working fine that's not a big deal.

I've generally been happy with the RP23 performance. I figured you can't have it all -- if you want more pedaling platform then you'll be giving up some small bump compliance. But PUSH said that they can provide some more platform without sacrificing small bump compliance. We'll see. I also said that I can't feel a lot of difference between the propedal settings, and they said that they can also address that. If nothing else, getting it tuned to my weight should be an improvement. The factory tune is $39 additional to the rebuild service, so that doesn't sound too bad. The total bill is pretty high, though.

I also asked about a factory tuning for my Fox FIT RLC fork. They said that they are waiting for parts for tuning the FIT forks, but they should be available very soon.