Insanity later

Which shock and which tune for Talboy LTc

A 2014 LTc is coming soon. After my experiences with Fox on the Tallboy, I'm going Rockshox all the way. Have ordered a 150mm Pike to replace the F34 (couldn't find reviews on the dual air so just went solo, but I am still curious about the dual air).

I want to replace the CTD shock with either a Monarch RT3 or a Monarch Plus. I'm 6'5" and 200 pounds loaded on an XXL frame. Riding style is aggressive XC/trail. I like to hammer, and get some air, but aren't doing drops over 4 feet. I also like to get to the top first so weight and pedaling o performance are important.

Questions are:

Should I get the Monarch or Monarch Plus. Leaning towards the Monarch Plus even though my riding style is more XC, 'cos I like the idea of more tuning options. I also hated how progressive my RP23 was, I prefer a more linear travel.

Which tune should I get? Seems like I'm between M/M a H/M. Can't really figure out which would be best.

What volume of Air Can do I need for my weight?

Finally, do the Frames ship with a DT RWS thru axle? It looks like they do according to Santa Cruz, but I wanted to confirm before ordering

Cheers

mtbr member
    Have you asked Santa Cruz for their recommendation?

Even with that in hand, I would ride the CTD first and then think about replacing or tuning it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I'm still debating getting a TBLT and without hesitation I would put on a Pike and a Monarch Plus, maybe even the CCDBA (300 gram penalty) but I'm definitely downhill focused. Too bad PUSH doesn't sell the tuned Pluses anymore, have been very happy with mine on a Mojo HD.

As you said with the Monarch+ you get more tunability and more control on extended descents due to increased oil volume for under 100 grams of weight penalty.. One thing to keep in mind with the Plus over the RT3 or Fox is the open setting is truly open with two other levels of compression adjust, in other words there is no platform damping, I think this is great but some might prefer a bit of a platform. I don't think it's necessary with the DW or VPP and gives you more plush on the down.

Standard can, not HV. Again, too bad PUSH doesn't do RS anymore because they were awesome with figuring this all out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Oh, just remember too that the Monarch+ was revised this summer so make sure u get the newer one.

mtbr member
    You mean like this:
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread - Page 86

BTW, it's not dual air anymore, just Solo. It's Dual Position/Solo Air.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Questions are:

Should I get the Monarch or Monarch Plus. Leaning towards the Monarch Plus...
    Get the Plus

Which tune should I get? Seems like I'm between M/M a H/M. Can't really figure out which would be best.
    M-rebound, L-compression (M/L). You may also consider M/M...I like the wide-open DH setting to be pretty loose. With a M/M tune, you can always go in and remove a one of the 22mm compression check shims and get a M/L tune, but it can get expensive to find a 22mm x 0.01 shim...(6mm ID).

What volume of Air Can do I need for my weight?
    LV...see the pic on the link above.

Finally, do the Frames ship with a DT RWS thru axle? It looks like they do according to Santa Cruz, but I wanted to confirm before ordering
    Rear axle comes w/ the frame

Cheers
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Oh, just remember too that the Monarch+ was revised this summer so make sure u get the newer one.
    What did RS do to it? Do you have a link for a writeup?

Edit: nevermind, found it. Seems they just sped up the LSR...reduced or took out the concave dish on the rebound side of the main piston, or opened up the orifices a bit.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I believe they also increased the stanchion diameter so they could put more oil in for better flow. All that stuff was announced in April along with the Pike.

Insanity later
    Thanks for the great replies people. I'm happy that Pau11y chimed in, as I'd seem some of your posts. It's just hard reading through 86 pages on the owners thread for a specific question (wish I could search within a thread, but don't know how).

Yeah I spoke to Joey at Santa Cruz. He was really nice but couldn't offer much help beyond "we ship them with CTD shocks M/M tune, 225# boost valve (neither he nor I had any clue what that meant), and LV can.

Robnow, Great tips. I figured I could crank up the compression on the Monarch Plus to create a sort of platform for climbing. Is that accurate, or am I missing something?

If I plan to replace immediately I would probably just order the non-Kashima shock to save some cash. I guess the Kashima maybe easier to sell though..

Pau11y, I'm not too sure what you are referring to on page 86. Does it answer one of my questions? No mention of the Dual position Pike that I could see. I've read plenty of reviews on the Solo Air which is why I'm getting one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Robnow, Great tips. I figured I could crank up the compression on the Monarch Plus to create a sort of platform for climbing. Is that accurate, or am I missing something?
    Exactly

mtbr member
    Pau11y, I'm not too sure what you are referring to on page 86. Does it answer one of my questions? No mention of the Dual position Pike that I could see. I've read plenty of reviews on the Solo Air which is why I'm getting one.
    I was just being cheeky w/ the page 86...a pic of a TBLTc w/ a Pike and a Monarch+

What I was saying is ignore the dual position and just go w/ the Solo Air. Dual position would just increase your points of failure, and most of my buddies stop using travel adjust after the first month, when the novelty wears off.

So the Monarch+ has a 3 position low speed compression. In its firmest setting, I can still get mine to move pretty well which makes climbing really nice...not a static platform, just a really stiff one that will still follow the terrain.

I haven't had any time on the Pike yet...just mounted it up last night and rode to work to debug it today. I'm going to try and get in a trail ride in tomorrow to get it trail tuned.

And, don't sell the OE Fox that comes w/ the frame...in case you need a backup shock. But that's just me. I also have a spare fork (Marz 44 Micro Ti 29er), a rear mech, and a spare set of brakes (Avid Elixir CR/Code). I'm working on a spare set of wheels now...I don't want to be down because I have a mechanical. This I learned from the Fox 34 I had warrantied 4 times...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Keep on Rockin...
    The air can that came stock on my large LTc was too large. Travel was too linear and I bottomed out way too much with aggressive riding. How this is not being posted by other riders on the LTc I do not know. Admittedly, for non-aggressive riding, it did feel great stock. I went to a standard size air can on the CTD and it ramps up just right with the small spacer inside.

Spoke a number of times with Fox, SC, and PUSH. PUSH, as always, was super helpful. While they could likely have done a great job with the original shock they did not try to push me in this direction and did suggest a lower volume air can would likely be best for my style of riding and weight.

Insanity later
    Pau11y, Yeah I kind of figured the same principles that make the talas a POS applied here. Too many seals just create potential problems and maybe more stiction. I liked the idea of dropping the front end for sustained climbs though, but you're right, I'd probably not use it that much.

One last thing; Does the Monarch Plus come with shock hardware, or do I need to buy that separately? Looks like I may need to buy. Good chance to get the enduro needle bearing kit, which I used on the Tallboy and liked.

mtbr member
    One last thing; Does the Monarch Plus come with shock hardware, or do I need to buy that separately? Looks like I may need to buy. Good chance to get the enduro needle bearing kit, which I used on the Tallboy and liked.
    No hardware, but you can prob reuse the ones on your Fox. A utility razor blade can really help w/ getting the white-ish bearing to start moving out of the shock's eye.

I run Enduro needles...yeah, get it! Def get it! They come w/ several tolerances of axles so you can pick/choose which to take out the play...VERY sweet!

Here's something to pay attention to when you first take delivery of the bike. Unmount the rear shockand slap some anti-seize on the pivot axles right off...anti-seize on the threads and where it interfaces w/ the bearings, none where it flares out to grab the frame, anti-seize on the beveled face of the collette (sp?) wedge piece, and Loctite on the threads of the steel bolt. When you're done w/ this and before you mount the Monarch, you can also cycle the frame thru its travel and make sure it doesn't have a stiff point anywhere. If there is, check the torque spec of the pivots axles and maybe shoot some grease into the pivots. It should float w/o any play.

If you're building, good time to anti-seize the bottom bracket threads. You can also use anti-seize on the head tube...a thin layer in the head tube before you press in your HS cups. If a lot of your parts are carbon, get a 4oz tub of carbon paste because that blister pack that comes w/ the frame isn't enough. And if you don't have one already, get a good torque wrench...would suck if you over torque something and crack the carbon! And, over torquing bolts and deforming clamping surfaces can cause creaks!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Insanity later
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    You mean like this:
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread - Page 86

BTW, it's not dual air anymore, just Solo. It's Dual Position/Solo Air.
    Pau11y (and other shock experts). Somehow I completely screwed up and ordered a HV, Med/High Tune Monarch Plus (must have been drunk when I hit the order button..). Sure enough I can't get full travel even with more than 30% sag. I presume it's because the shock has too much compression damping as the HV can would actually make the travel more linear. Is there anything I can do to reduce the compression and rebound damping? Any other suggestions?

Edit - I just read the thread Monarch RC3 Plus shim stack. Looks like a lot of changes to the shim stack. Not too sure if I'm up for that.....
    Last edited by Serenity Now; 08-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.