NMBP

Shock set up: Tallboy C

So I have my first SC bike with VPP, and am looking for a little advise on setting it up. My previous full sus bikes have been Niners and a Pivot 429. I know the Pivot (DW-Link) was pretty touchy about running the correct sag. The Niners seemed to have a little more leeway as far as pressure goes. I like a plush ride, but obviously don't want to negatively affect the efficiency. According to SC, the sag should be between 8 and 11mm. Is it OK to go a little more than that? What do you folks run?

mtbr member
    I run my tallboy c closer to 11mm than 8mm and almost always without propedal for regular trail riding.

Just wondering what you are hoping to achieve by running more sag than recommended?

NMBP
    Thanks. I just like to run on the plusher side, and wasn't sure if a little less pressure (more sag) would really negatively impact the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ran my TBc at 1/2 inch sag, on the soft side and then use Pro Pedal for serious climbs. PP is easy to use on that bike and I became pretty fast at it. Not a big deal as some think.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    I ran my TBc at 1/2 inch sag, on the soft side and then use Pro Pedal for serious climbs. PP is easy to use on that bike and I became pretty fast at it. Not a big deal as some think.
    So I finally got a ride in. I set the sag to around 1/2" (put my actual weight in the shock, not riding weight), and set it to Trail 1 (CTD), and rebound in the middle. I am not ready for a review yet because I never played with the settings at all, but wow, what a great bike! I was prepared to be disappointed because I had such high hopes, if that makes sense. I want to say that it exeeded my expectations completely. It climbed great in both rings and handled perfectly. Only a few laps so far, but I now know what all the fuss was about! I might play with the rebound a bit, and see how decend (open) mode feels, but so far so good.