Fun Junkie

Shock reccomendations for '06 Heckler

Hey all, I just traded my Felt roadie for an '06 Heckler to use on the trails behind my house (Santa Monica Mts.), but I want to get a shock with a propedal / lockout for climbing. Right now it has a Fox Float R on it, so I'm looking at either the RP2 or RP23.

I know there are a million shocks out there, but this is my first FS bike so I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone has different recommendations. FYI, I'm 225 lbs. and won't be doing any major jumping, just small drop-off type stuff.

Thanks,
    Dale

mtbr member
    Dale,

I ride my Heckler in Colorado and I have an RP23, with gear I weigh about 200 lbs I do use all of the travel on it riding aggresive XC and I kind of wish I had a DHX-C but so far its not bad and I have considered getting it pushed since I probably will never be on the FR end of AM. I think you should try and get an RP23 just casue I am not sure you would need a coil if you don't plan on dropping big
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

Fun Junkie
    Thanks Kieth. I wasn't sure if I should be looking at a coil shock or not. I'm told today's air shocks can handle my weight, provided I'm not doing any heavy downhill or jumps. I was just looking for some real world experience to back that up. I'd, obviously, like to stick to the lighter air shock if possible.

Thanks again,
    D

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From what I've seen on here previously theres only two choices for the heckler and thats either the Fox RP Float or the DHX Coil. I've got a very end of previous shape Heckler and went for the coil purely for the feel. Theres not too much of a weight premium. I still ride it all day and its just so much plusher than an air shock.

mtbr member
    i 2nd the beauty of a coil shock.....but if you're not riding really hard and/or jumping, you might not need the coil.....BUT, even when riding normal, the coil feels night and day more plush.....

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...hp?cPath=25_72

the first two shocks there are a crazy good deal.....on the 5th coil though you'll wanna pick up a 450x2.75 spring for your weight....should run you less than 30 bucks at the most....

i ride a dhx5 on my 05 heckler, and i'll never run another air shock as long as i'm riding.....i'm 200lbs, and i dont really jump a lot, just drops up to like 3ft...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    the heckler will be begging you to go bigger and bigger and you will find yourself riding things you never though you would (ie drops) I switched from the float to the DHX coil and am loving it.

Fun Junkie
    Thanks guys. That 5th Element looks like a good deal, but it doesn't seem to have a propedal / lockout feature. ...how much energy do you think gets robbed climbing without that? I know I do a lot of bobbing with the Float R I have now.

As for going bigger, maybe down the road. Right now it's more about getting in shape again; I haven't ridden a bike since college (about a decade ago) and believe me, I feel it in the hills behind my house! lol ...on the other hand, the Heckler is an amazing bike. It's my first FS bike ...hell, I've never had any suspension before. My other bike is a '94 Iron Horse rigid. lol

Thanks again for the input guys. I'm not in a hurry, just starting to shop around. As it is, I'm still waiting for my LBS to find a spring kit for the Nixon Elite fork, as it is waaaaay too soft for me as is.

Cheers,
    Dale

never ender
    PUSH your stock Float. $150 for a full custom tune vs 400+ for a new shock.

mtbr member
    Just switched from a Float R to the DHX Coil. SWEET!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fun Junkie
    Great looking bike, I think white is, by far, the fastest color!

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to the bike. What is the eye to eye size for the correct shock? I see a huge range of shocks for sale from 7.5" to 9"

banned
    I would go for the DHX on that design to assist in the bottoming out, even on XC/aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMoto
    Great looking bike, I think white is, by far, the fastest color!

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to the bike. What is the eye to eye size for the correct shock? I see a huge range of shocks for sale from 7.5" to 9"
    you want a 7.875 x 2.0 or 2.25......2" gives you 5" of travel, 2.25 gives 5.7"

i can ride my dhx with the propedal OFF and it actually climbs better on really bumpy hills than it does with full PP on....the KEY, and i cannot emphasize this enough, is a SMOOTH pedal stroke.....if you're not riding clipless pedals, you need to be.....your pedal stroke will smooth out a lot, which will translate into your body bouncing up and down less, and better power transfer to the ground....also, you should rarely, if EVER, climb a hill while standing on the heckler.....stay seated, pull hard on the handlebars (not lifting the front end, but pulling back like you're trying to bend the bars), and climb with a smooth pedal stroke.....

also, i'm pretty sure that 5th element has a low speed compression adjustment, which is ALMOST like a platform......basically it slows the movement of the shock on bumps where the damper shaft is moving at a low speed....i've heard nothing but good things with the 5th coils, the only issue being that they (progressive suspension) no longer service them.....

mtbr member
    I have an 8.5 x 2.5 on mine

Fun Junkie
    Thanks again on the feedback everyone. I may just save up my spare change until I can get a DHX, it seems the way to go.

I want to avoid anything that is no longer serviced or supported. My LBS has been trying to get me springs for my Manitou Nixon Elite fork, but they tell me I should ditch it for just that reason; they claim it's nearly impossible to get parts and is impossible to get factory service from Manitou now. *grrrr*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotprowl
    I have an 8.5 x 2.5 on mine
    that's cause you have a new heckler, and not an 06 heckler like the OP has......

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    zen moto you need a better bike shop. My LBS just ordered me a manitou spring kit for a 2006 nixon elite 145-115 rtwd fork. It took a little calling back and forth on their part but it got done and is in my bike. If you have the same fork as me the part number for a firm spring kit is 83-2473. Otherwise call Manituou 1 888 686 3472 and they will give you the part number that you can then give to your bike shop

Fun Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by prinaldi
    zen moto you need a better bike shop. My LBS just ordered me a manitou spring kit for a 2006 nixon elite 145-115 rtwd fork. It took a little calling back and forth on their part but it got done and is in my bike. If you have the same fork as me the part number for a firm spring kit is 83-2473. Otherwise call Manituou 1 888 686 3472 and they will give you the part number that you can then give to your bike shop

Thanks, I actually emailed them last night and they sent me the part number this morning. I'm hoping my LBS will get it in, since I really like the fork (and frankly, can't afford a new one right now).

...man, mountain bikes cost more to keep up than my Honda XR650R!!!