BBW
    mtbr member

No good Shock options from SC????? WTF

I don't understand what is going on in SC...
    If I recall well, only Cloud Nine from Cane Creek, has excelent reviews; so why not spec SC model with this shock as a standard???? also is cheaper than the rest...
    I am thinking that cause SC knows that a lot of people don't want to upgrade their bikes and stay with the Float R; let's spec the bikes with the most unreliable and POS shock and this way people is going to pay 163$ just to get the Fox R!!!!!!
    WTF is going in the mind of you guys!!!!!!???
    I'm planning on buying a new SC and this is making me look elsewhere.......

TNC
    noMAD man
    So...how many companies even give you a choice in rear shocks? I think you're being a little over-critical on this issue. They offer 2-4 shocks, depending on which model bike you select. Can any bike company offer every option available. There's a lot more to it than that and problems that can occur because of it.

mtbr member
    May 2005

wake up & smell the roses

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    So...how many companies even give you a choice in rear shocks? I think you're being a little over-critical on this issue. They offer 2-4 shocks, depending on which model bike you select. Can any bike company offer every option available. There's a lot more to it than that and problems that can occur because of it.
    A hand gently smacks across the face of BBW.

bump and grind
    While I'm sure SC has it reasons for offering only these types of standard shocks, I think it has to do more with economics than anything else. The Float R is now an optional, with an upcharge of $160+ (ouch), when a few months back it was the standard shock. Maybe SC got a truckload of 5th coils and Manitous dirt cheap and are now speccing them for their bikes (for the Heckler at least).

That said, the 5th coils and Manitous dont seem too bad. The manitous have decent reviews and the 5th has its own fans. I just wish I ordered my SC Heckler before Christmas and got it with the Fox. Now I'm in a conundrum as to which among the 5th and the Manitous to get.

BTW, the upcharge for the optional shocks have gone really high compared to a few months back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd have to go with TNC on this and Gripo's comments is also quite funny!

I mean what's that rant about. SC offers all sorts of options on shocks, forks and build kits. They are one of a kind in the bike industry. Just because they don't offer THE one shock that you are looking...! Which company offers a CaneCreek shock stock on their bikes anyway? Don't get me wrong, I have a Cloud9 on one of my bikes and love it but even though I might one day buy another CC shock, I'm not going to blame SC for it. If you are "looking elsewhere" because of this then good luck to you, hope you find what you are "looking for"!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Santa Cruz is one of the most versatile companies when it comes to rear shock selection. SC is also one of the cheaper high end brands around as well. Check out Ventana, Turner, Titus, and Intense for comparison. As TNC mentioned, there are not many companies around that offer more than one rear shock choice, air or coil for some models. For an nominal up charge you can have a better shock.

There are other boutique companies that offer a less than stellar entry level shock on their bikes. This is nothing new.

BBW
    mtbr member

aclaration

Don't take me wrong. If you live in USA, you can have whatever shock you want or can afford. If it has a problem, you send it and in a cople of weeks it return from the manufacturer hopefully in good shape but...... if you live 2000 miles from USA, save your hard earn money to buy a 1500$ frame, you just can aford to have a bad shock (ie 5th air or Fox DHX air), you'll have to wait a month (if the custom don't steal it or loose it) and pay 300$ just to send the shock for fix....
    Maybe you don't get it but when you live in the trhird world, things are far away, very expensive and what you buy have to be as reliable as it can

TNC
    noMAD man

Not knocking the third world, but...

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Don't take me wrong. If you live in USA, you can have whatever shock you want or can afford. If it has a problem, you send it and in a cople of weeks it return from the manufacturer hopefully in good shape but...... if you live 2000 miles from USA, save your hard earn money to buy a 1500$ frame, you just can aford to have a bad shock (ie 5th air or Fox DHX air), you'll have to wait a month (if the custom don't steal it or loose it) and pay 300$ just to send the shock for fix....
    Maybe you don't get it but when you live in the trhird world, things are far away, very expensive and what you buy have to be as reliable as it can
    Maybe you shouldn't consider such cutting-edge, high end bikes. Most of these models also have numerous pivots and other potential service areas that could also cause you problems. I totally get what you're saying, but then that's why perhaps these types of models are not a good idea for your location and situation. One thing I always do is to have a spare shock for my main ride. Since Cane Creek's 9 and AD12 are relatively inexpensive shocks, maybe you should have one as backup regardless of your situation. Which bike is it that you were interested in?

I still go back to the fact that SC probably gives as many shock choices as any company out there. Shop around and see if that's not true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I think you have to review your strategy. I don't live in the "third world" but not in the US either so I do have to spend a lot of money and time for service. My strategy, I always have two different shocks for my bike. When I ordered my Nomad, I took the offer for the "free" shock which is the FloatR. At the same time, I added a Marzocchi Rocco to my order because it is most probably a very reliable coil shock, it is cheap and it is user serviceable. So I'll have two shocks, if I ever have to repair one, I just slap the other on. On my previous bike, I had 3 different shocks. I also always make sure I have two of each parts, I keep an old fork as well just in case. As TNC said, select a bike model that you can afford and buy some spare parts. You will enjoy much more your bike if you are able to ride it then if you buy the ultimate but it is stuck in the garage because you are waiting for repair...

Bottom line, all this has nothing to do with the SantaCruz company you were a bit hard on in your first post!

Hope this helps.

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Well I think you have to review your strategy. I don't live in the "third world" but not in the US either so I do have to spend a lot of money and time for service. My strategy, I always have two different shocks for my bike. When I ordered my Nomad, I took the offer for the "free" shock which is the FloatR. At the same time, I added a Marzocchi Rocco to my order because it is most probably a very reliable coil shock, it is cheap and it is user serviceable. So I'll have two shocks, if I ever have to repair one, I just slap the other on. On my previous bike, I had 3 different shocks. I also always make sure I have two of each parts, I keep an old fork as well just in case. As TNC said, select a bike model that you can afford and buy some spare parts. You will enjoy much more your bike if you are able to ride it then if you buy the ultimate but it is stuck in the garage because you are waiting for repair...

Good idea! I'll order an extra shock as soon as my frame arrives. Just need to check what shock should fit the Heckler for my type of riding.

TNC
    noMAD man

You're in luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cobym2
    Good idea! I'll order an extra shock as soon as my frame arrives. Just need to check what shock should fit the Heckler for my type of riding.
    The Heckler, at least, uses either of two of the most common sizes available...7.875 X 2.25 or 7.875 X 2.0. You get a little more travel with the 2.25 stroke model. You'll have lots of choices in new and used shocks for the Heckler.

mtbr member

Original question...

I think your original question was why SC doesn't spec a shock brand like Cane Creek. Well, I can tell you that Cane Creek, a great company in its own right, might have its own supply issues to deal with, in providing a company like SC with shocks on a regular basis. I know the CCDB is back ordered a minimum of 30 days from now, and thats directly from Cane Creek. If it went to SC first, and then time for install, it would be at least 2 months, just to get a shock. People complain about SC lead times AND shock options???

BBW
    mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I think your original question was why SC doesn't spec a shock brand like Cane Creek. Well, I can tell you that Cane Creek, a great company in its own right, might have its own supply issues to deal with, in providing a company like SC with shocks on a regular basis. I know the CCDB is back ordered a minimum of 30 days from now, and thats directly from Cane Creek. If it went to SC first, and then time for install, it would be at least 2 months, just to get a shock. People complain about SC lead times AND shock options???
    This is the kind of mature answer that I was expecting!!!!! sorry the post was a little visceral....thanks esquire

bump and grind

A new development in shock choices

SC now doesnt spec the 5th coil (for hecklers at least) as a standard shock. You now have just the swingers (coil or air) as standard. . Just got this from my dealer, who, I hope and pray, was able to place my order and had it shipped already.

Just an update... not complaining in any way about shock choices. Just so you know and not rely on the website, which, btw, still has the 5th coil as a standard shock. Just goes to show that shock choices come and go..

mtbr member

Hey now, take it easy...

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    This is the kind of mature answer that I was expecting!!!!! sorry the post was a little visceral....thanks esquire
    Stop throwing words like mature around when you are referring to me. I fight like he11 to keep my "childish" edge about me. If I'd known it was going to bring about such a brutal retort as "mature" from you, I'd have thrown in a few curse words and insulted you a few times...

SC is going to try to keep up with 3 things, and they will balance them. Speed, price and quality. Over the years, you can see them reacting to quality questions, when people demand certain items, which is good to see, but only if they don't interfere too much with speed and price. SC also recently increased both dealer and retail pricing on many of its line, to reflect their own increases in cost. Some bikes are up as much as $100.00 on a complete.

mtbr member

Yeah!

Who you callin' mature? I can back up Esq's claim to childishness, bro, so just back off! We clear on this???
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

BBW
    mtbr member

Sorry

jajaja sorry, my fault man.....
    right about that