mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Shock and fork for Heckler?

I am thinking about buying a Heckler soon and cannot decide what to do for a fork and shock. I weigh about 150 and will be using the bike for everything from urban rides with medium sized (around 5 foot) drops to all day cross country outings.

I am planning on using Santa Cruz's X9 AM kit. The three shock I see offerred witht the Heckler are the Float R, DHX 5.0 coil, or the air version of the same shock. I will use either the Vanilla or Float 130 for the fork.

Will the air versions of these shocks be able to hold up to drops and general trail abuse? Also, will the coil shocks slow me down enough to be noticeable? I welcome everyone's opinions on this. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    i don't think the weight difference of the dhx coil and the dhx air will make you faster or slower in an xc ride, unless you're xc racing and you're buying the wrong bike. do a search on shocks i don't know much about the DHX air. i originally had the 5th coil and now have the DHX coil.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a Heckler with 5th element coil and Manitou Firefly 130mm SPV for a fork. I didnt like the ride of my spv fork that much. The DHX coil gets much better reviews compared to the 5th coil. I would get the DHX coil over the 5th. The DHX air will hold up to drops, but it has been plagued with problems since being introduced. The same can be said with the Fox Talas 36 and RP3. I still prefer coil for durability.

Traditionally, the good old Vanilla was the fork of choice on the Heckler for aggressive riding. Now, the longer travel forks, such as the Fox 36 and Pike are the most popular. The Pike is the cheapest long travel fork right now and has less maintenance woes than the Fox 36 easily.

With coil shocks front and rear, your build will still be light enough to ride all day. The Fox DHX coil is a very light coil shock. Go coil and ride more. Go air and you are rolling the dice, imo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Absolutely, go coil front and back

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I had a Heckler with 5th element coil and Manitou Firefly 130mm SPV for a fork. I didnt like the ride of my spv fork that much. The DHX coil gets much better reviews compared to the 5th coil. I would get the DHX coil over the 5th. The DHX air will hold up to drops, but it has been plagued with problems since being introduced. The same can be said with the Fox Talas 36 and RP3. I still prefer coil for durability.

Traditionally, the good old Vanilla was the fork of choice on the Heckler for aggressive riding. Now, the longer travel forks, such as the Fox 36 and Pike are the most popular. The Pike is the cheapest long travel fork right now and has less maintenance woes than the Fox 36 easily.

With coil shocks front and rear, your build will still be light enough to ride all day. The Fox DHX coil is a very light coil shock. Go coil and ride more. Go air and you are rolling the dice, imo.
    I have the DHX 5.0 Coil and just switched to a Manitou Nixon Elite (115 - 145 mm Coil) and just love the ride. My Talas R was just not enough fork for this bike, the air just is not plush enough. I like my setup, but a Pike or a Marz AM-1 ETA (130 to 150mm Coil/Air) is a hot setup as well.
    Good luck with your new Heckler, I love mine, I sold my Blur Classic to get it!

mtbr member
    i had a Vanilla 125 RLC on my heckler. thought it was a great fork. i now have a talas 36. i think the talas is way more plush than my vanilla. i just wish the the talas wasn't so linear, but i rarely do drops so its not a big deal(for me). i like being able to adjust travel with the talas 36, but the vanilla was working great for me. i just needed to spend some money. (got a team sponsorship so it was a chance to try something new out)

i'd say go coil front and rear....but you can't go wrong anyway you set your heckler up, its so versatile!

_
    Mar 2004
    I'm running a DHX Coil and a Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus 150mm fork. I had a 03 marz. z1FR upfront but couldn't pass up Jensonusa's 12 days of xmas sale on the manitou. the extra inch of travel up front has done wonders for me. The lockout feature is great and steepen's the geometry enough to make climbing the steep stuff easier.

I posted a couple pix recently, you can see my set-up there.

USB Rep'n
    Im running mine with a 5th coil and a Talas RLC in front. Ideally, Id swap to the DHX and I am planning on putting my Firefly (TPC version) back on the front. The Talas does feel too linear and I think the coil/coil will make the bike more balanced. Great bike either way but I think it can be even better.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Just changed mine up..

I recently changed from a 5th coil over to a 4-way air. I really like the air shock over the coil shock. Much more plush in the begining of the stroke. I won't go back. Removed 1 lb. of weight also... I also change from a Sherman Firefly to a Flick (5 to 6") in the front. Again, the best move so far on the bike. I like the higher crown to axle of the 6" fork. Raises the BB by an inch which keep the pedals off the rocks a little. The bike started life with a Fox Van 125 RLC on it.... Hated It! Didn't last 5 months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the replies everyone...does anyone happen to know what weight spring comes stock with the DHX coil?

mtbr member
    i think the medium comes standard with a 300# spring. i'm sure you can tell your LBS what size you need and sc will ship it with what you need. you can check sc's website for what spring you need for your weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DHX Coil and Pike Coil

I have the DHX Coil and a Pike Team up front and it makes the Heckler perfectly balanced. The Pike is so adjustable that you can really dial it in for what ever type of riding you plan on doing. It is also lighter and a lot less expensive than a Fox 36.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    I have the DHX Coil and a Pike Team up front and it makes the Heckler perfectly balanced. The Pike is so adjustable that you can really dial it in for what ever type of riding you plan on doing. It is also lighter and a lot less expensive than a Fox 36.
    Same setup and conclusion here. A coil DHX and a coil Pike is simply a terrific combination on a Heckler.

I actually find that the Heckler handles more predictably through fast singletrack with the Pike at ~130mm travel setting.

29er wannabe

DHX coil / Pike combo

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Thanks for the replies everyone...does anyone happen to know what weight spring comes stock with the DHX coil?
    It sounds to me the DHX coil is your choice. I will also recommend the Pike up front .

Gary