Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shame on Santa Cruz

4K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Bone Saw 
#1 · (Edited)
Shame on Santa Cruz (Issue resolved!)

Just an update. I'm not sure if this thread had anything to do with it, but I got an email from SC just a bit ago. The email apologizes for the flawed system of their frame sales and the way my order was handled. I was offered a discount on a future SC purchase as well. They also noted that they are taking measures to improve their ordering system and will have an updated version in place soon.

Good stuff. I know SC has great technical customer service, I just think they lack in the actual sales dept. I guess that's understandable, as their dealers do most of the sales work. It's good know they recognize the problem and are fixing it.

On another note. I found a 2012 Blur LT model that was exactly what I was loooking for at a dealer in SoCal. The problem is I'm in FL and they can't mail order the bike. If anyone in the Orange County area would like to help me out, let me know please!

I don't think I will be buying another Santa Cruz after my last round of crappy customer service from them. I placed an order on December 20th on the last day you could before the holiday break. I checked back with their website and was notified they would be out of the office until Jan 3rd. I called back again today and was told my order would ship on the 4th.

When I asked them to verify my order #, they said "Oh, we don't have a frame for you, but we tried to contact you twice".

I then asked them what days they attempted to call or email me. They couldn't tell me. I asked them if there was a way for them to check the dates the emails were sent. The person on the phone said, "Sure I can put you on hold and check my Outbox, but I still wont have the frame". I said, thats ok, I just would like to know. I was then told "It doesn't matter what day it was, we don't have a frame for you."

I then asked them how someone could have emailed and called me twice if the office was closed until at least yesterday at which point the person on the phone had no more fake answers to give me sand said "It's not my fault."

I think they are failing to understand the point here. If you don't have the frame in stock from the sale, that is perfectly fine, but don't straight up lie over and over to someone who has spent thousands on your brand over the years and is trying to give you even more money.

See less See more
#3 ·
I feel your frustration for sure.... but if you read some of the "Santa Cruz Sale" thread, you're definitely not the only one to get hosed.

I ordered my Blur LT frame a few weeks ago and honestly, I was 50/50 on whether I'd ever actually get the frame from them based on some of the other problems I read about.

#4 ·
I feel your frustration for sure.... but if you read some of the "Santa Cruz Sale" thread, you're definitely not the only one to get hosed.

I ordered my Blur LT frame a few weeks ago and honestly, I was 50/50 on whether I'd ever actually get the frame from them based on some of the other problems I read about.
Again, the problem here isn't that they didn't have the frame. It's that I was just lied to again and again.

#6 ·
OO7, don't be such a fanboy. No one likes being lied to. This isn't the first issue that has happened with an order I have had with SC. I'll look at buying a frame from another rider at this point.

I hope you don't think it is ok to lie to customers. Also, are you saying I must be single because spouses lie to each other often?

Do you have trust issues?

#11 ·
I have had nothing but great customer service from SC, but being lied to is definitely a slap in the face. It certainly sounds like the supply of "sale" frames is pretty low as others have had orders cancelled. I would have defintely asked the person's name and asked to talk to their supervisor. Most business owners (like me) don't approve of staff lying to cover up a mistake. Just own up to it, aplogize and ask the customer what we can do to make it right with them. If it's a reasonable request, most times it will be granted. Some people are totally unreasonable and want everything for free or greatly reduced. If that's the case, I just say, "sorry, I can't accommodate your request, but here's what I can do..." If that doesn't work, we part ways, but I tried.
If you know who you talked to, I would call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. That person either needs to find another job, or more training. If, on the other hand, management is condoning lying to customers, then there is a real problem.

#12 ·
Santa Cruz customer service

I have owned more than my share of bikes in the past and a few Santa Cruz bikes. My experience is that with new model releases they are a bit slow too meet demand but that settles out . They are extremely responsive compared to many other companies and I have had warranties honored well beyond the listed time. Demand for their bikes can be high at times and supply can lag. As for lying to you I can't answer but its never happened to me.

#13 ·
Well said Bone Saw. SoWal I feel for you bro. I have had nothing but great service with SC. You didn't and if that is enough for you to walk, do it! Many other bike companies want your business. I have also had GREAT luck with Ibis. Check em out and good luck.

#14 ·
SoWal, I ordered a XL Tallboy. Based on their web site it seems like they have a lot going on right now. On top of the long holiday break. I'm not making excuses for them, just pointing it out. Good luck and hopefully you will find something else. To be honest this was my 2nd choice, I went with this one because I think the fit will be better.

Well I had to edit this post because I just got a tracking number for the frame.

#16 ·
Lies and long waits are still worth owning another SC...
Neither one of those issues should compromise the ride on one. just my 2c
Good luck w/ your purchase brah!

#17 ·
Hey guys,

Just an update. I'm not sure if this thread had anything to do with it, but I got an email from SC just a bit ago. The email apologizes for the flawed system of their frame sales and the way my order was handled. I was offered a discount on a future SC purchase as well. They also noted that they are taking measures to improve their ordering system and will have an updated version in place soon.

Good stuff. I know SC has great technical customer service, I just think they lack in the actual sales dept. I guess that's understandable, as their dealers do most of the sales work. It's good know they recognize the problem and are fixing it.

On another note. I found a 2012 Blur LT model that was exactly what I was loooking for at a dealer in SoCal. The problem is I'm in FL and they can't mail order the bike. If anyone in the Orange County area would like to help me out, let me know please! :)

#20 ·
That sucks man..I too have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Santa Cruz over the years.

My Blur carbon started showing signs of a hairline crack at the bottom bracket. It took two weeks, and the front triangle was replaced.

When I ordered my Tallboy Carbon, I was given a date of availability of 60 days. Two months later I called and asked the status. They told me they didn't have it yet, but I did receive a missed call and voice message the following day saying they found a shop out in Nebraska that had one on hand, and they were giving account credit to the shop, and as soon as they got the frame back from the shop and inspected it, they would ship it out to my LBS for delivery to me. So it ended up taking 10 days longer, but they were honest with me and kept me in the loop.

This was a couple years ago, and maybe they had some personnel changes in their logistics department that need to be ironed out...I don't know, but this does seem to be a very recent complaint and not something that has a long track record.

Granted if it is new people..they do represent the company...but I don't think they are representing the company in a way that mirror's SC's reputation.

#22 ·
Everyone makes mistakes, its a given this time of year is a major pain in the butt for everyone.

I think the way SC have followed up is what counts, a simple apology imo counts, and if thats not enough then you should look closer to home jmo.

I ordered a frame that was in stock size color in Nov a week later the frame had gone and I was told I had to wait for the next shipment from the factory, the coy owner apologised and kept me updated, I stayed the course even under imense pressure from my LBS to ditch the brand, the fact the owners directly kept me informned built my trust and I was rewarded with my frame early Dec when they promised I would get it and Ive been loving it and will be sticking with that brand.

Id say give SC a break, if you order on Xmas time you take big chances, not making excuses for them but fairness is a too way streak.

#23 ·
+ 1 on santa cruz CS. I also believe that their VPLS disclaimer says that even if you order it, it might not be on hand. I understand why your mad and disappointed but really who cares if they did or didnt try to contact you. Maybe they were just trying to let you down easy so your panties didnt get into a bunch. not like they had to give us the awesome deals available in the VPSL. Every time I dealt with them, they have been top notch and responsive.

#27 ·
Thats what you pay for the start of A end. I think thaf santa Cruz Bikes got a mature start as a Bike brand and the rigor start now they are getting the juvenil age ,and next "just my opinion" they will he entering in the nowere zone just like many others brands did it ,selling a "specialized" thing or,this is the one,no ,this is the one. What whas that cccp color,we offer you "ugly"colors And if you want something more pay for it ,what a great brand ,that are selling out that same name and spirit,do you remember?nathan ,i do.

#28 ·
Another Update:

For anyone interested, my faith has been restored. I searched all over the internet and located a dealer that had the same exact frame, size and color (even a kashima CTD shock upgrade!), but they could not sell me the frame due to them not being a mail order/internet distributor. I phoned SC and explained that I found one and they took care of it for me. Needless to say, they got it sorted so that I could purchase this frame. It will be here later this week. Pretty awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.