Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I wreck alot

Shame on Santa Cruz (Issue resolved!)

Just an update. I'm not sure if this thread had anything to do with it, but I got an email from SC just a bit ago. The email apologizes for the flawed system of their frame sales and the way my order was handled. I was offered a discount on a future SC purchase as well. They also noted that they are taking measures to improve their ordering system and will have an updated version in place soon.

Good stuff. I know SC has great technical customer service, I just think they lack in the actual sales dept. I guess that's understandable, as their dealers do most of the sales work. It's good know they recognize the problem and are fixing it.

On another note. I found a 2012 Blur LT model that was exactly what I was loooking for at a dealer in SoCal. The problem is I'm in FL and they can't mail order the bike. If anyone in the Orange County area would like to help me out, let me know please!

I don't think I will be buying another Santa Cruz after my last round of crappy customer service from them. I placed an order on December 20th on the last day you could before the holiday break. I checked back with their website and was notified they would be out of the office until Jan 3rd. I called back again today and was told my order would ship on the 4th.

When I asked them to verify my order #, they said "Oh, we don't have a frame for you, but we tried to contact you twice".

I then asked them what days they attempted to call or email me. They couldn't tell me. I asked them if there was a way for them to check the dates the emails were sent. The person on the phone said, "Sure I can put you on hold and check my Outbox, but I still wont have the frame". I said, thats ok, I just would like to know. I was then told "It doesn't matter what day it was, we don't have a frame for you."

I then asked them how someone could have emailed and called me twice if the office was closed until at least yesterday at which point the person on the phone had no more fake answers to give me sand said "It's not my fault."

I think they are failing to understand the point here. If you don't have the frame in stock from the sale, that is perfectly fine, but don't straight up lie over and over to someone who has spent thousands on your brand over the years and is trying to give you even more money.
    Last edited by SoWal_MTBer; 01-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    They even offer you anything else as a substitute?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I feel your frustration for sure.... but if you read some of the "Santa Cruz Sale" thread, you're definitely not the only one to get hosed.

I ordered my Blur LT frame a few weeks ago and honestly, I was 50/50 on whether I'd ever actually get the frame from them based on some of the other problems I read about.

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I feel your frustration for sure.... but if you read some of the "Santa Cruz Sale" thread, you're definitely not the only one to get hosed.

I ordered my Blur LT frame a few weeks ago and honestly, I was 50/50 on whether I'd ever actually get the frame from them based on some of the other problems I read about.
    Again, the problem here isn't that they didn't have the frame. It's that I was just lied to again and again.

b a n n e d
    If your loyalties are so fickle that you'd dump an entire brand because you were "lied" to, then you must not own anything you don't make yourself.

I take it you are single?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    If your loyalties are so fickle that you'd dump an entire brand because you were "lied" to, then you must not own anything you don't make yourself.

I take it you are single?
    OO7, don't be such a fanboy. No one likes being lied to. This isn't the first issue that has happened with an order I have had with SC. I'll look at buying a frame from another rider at this point.

I hope you don't think it is ok to lie to customers. Also, are you saying I must be single because spouses lie to each other often?

Do you have trust issues?

mtbr member
    I was kind of disappointed that I can no longer log in to see what's up with my order. I placed my order on the 28th and was also told it would ship on the 4th. Either way if I do get it I will feel like I just got my golden ticket.

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT View Post
    I was kind of disappointed that I can no longer log in to see what's up with my order. I placed my order on the 28th and was also told it would ship on the 4th. Either way if I do get it I will feel like I just got my golden ticket.
    Good luck man. I hope it shows up! What did you order?

b a n n e d
    LOL . . . "trust issues" . . . I saw that episode of Dr. Phil too!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

NMBP
    That does suck. I guess I must be lucky, I placed the order for my Tallboy around the 17th, and it shipped a few days later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have had nothing but great customer service from SC, but being lied to is definitely a slap in the face. It certainly sounds like the supply of "sale" frames is pretty low as others have had orders cancelled. I would have defintely asked the person's name and asked to talk to their supervisor. Most business owners (like me) don't approve of staff lying to cover up a mistake. Just own up to it, aplogize and ask the customer what we can do to make it right with them. If it's a reasonable request, most times it will be granted. Some people are totally unreasonable and want everything for free or greatly reduced. If that's the case, I just say, "sorry, I can't accommodate your request, but here's what I can do..." If that doesn't work, we part ways, but I tried.
    If you know who you talked to, I would call back and ask to talk to a supervisor. That person either needs to find another job, or more training. If, on the other hand, management is condoning lying to customers, then there is a real problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Santa Cruz customer service

I have owned more than my share of bikes in the past and a few Santa Cruz bikes. My experience is that with new model releases they are a bit slow too meet demand but that settles out . They are extremely responsive compared to many other companies and I have had warranties honored well beyond the listed time. Demand for their bikes can be high at times and supply can lag. As for lying to you I can't answer but its never happened to me.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Well said Bone Saw. SoWal I feel for you bro. I have had nothing but great service with SC. You didn't and if that is enough for you to walk, do it! Many other bike companies want your business. I have also had GREAT luck with Ibis. Check em out and good luck.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    SoWal, I ordered a XL Tallboy. Based on their web site it seems like they have a lot going on right now. On top of the long holiday break. I'm not making excuses for them, just pointing it out. Good luck and hopefully you will find something else. To be honest this was my 2nd choice, I went with this one because I think the fit will be better.

Well I had to edit this post because I just got a tracking number for the frame.

Creepy tooth fairy

Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    Well said Bone Saw. SoWal I feel for you bro. I have had nothing but great service with SC. You didn't and if that is enough for you to walk, do it! Many other bike companies want your business. I have also had GREAT luck with Ibis. Check em out and good luck.
    Fantastic customer service from Santa Cruz is among the reasons why I have remained a loyal fan. 5 bikes on and I have no reason nor desire to switch.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

WWJR
    Lies and long waits are still worth owning another SC...
    Neither one of those issues should compromise the ride on one. just my 2c
    Good luck w/ your purchase brah!
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

I wreck alot
    Hey guys,

Just an update. I'm not sure if this thread had anything to do with it, but I got an email from SC just a bit ago. The email apologizes for the flawed system of their frame sales and the way my order was handled. I was offered a discount on a future SC purchase as well. They also noted that they are taking measures to improve their ordering system and will have an updated version in place soon.

Good stuff. I know SC has great technical customer service, I just think they lack in the actual sales dept. I guess that's understandable, as their dealers do most of the sales work. It's good know they recognize the problem and are fixing it.

On another note. I found a 2012 Blur LT model that was exactly what I was loooking for at a dealer in SoCal. The problem is I'm in FL and they can't mail order the bike. If anyone in the Orange County area would like to help me out, let me know please!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    Hey guys,

They obviously monitor MTBR.

I wouldnt continue doing business with a company that outright lies to customers.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Hi!

Welcome to planet earth, and dealing with human beings!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Trail Junkie
    That sucks man..I too have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Santa Cruz over the years.

My Blur carbon started showing signs of a hairline crack at the bottom bracket. It took two weeks, and the front triangle was replaced.

When I ordered my Tallboy Carbon, I was given a date of availability of 60 days. Two months later I called and asked the status. They told me they didn't have it yet, but I did receive a missed call and voice message the following day saying they found a shop out in Nebraska that had one on hand, and they were giving account credit to the shop, and as soon as they got the frame back from the shop and inspected it, they would ship it out to my LBS for delivery to me. So it ended up taking 10 days longer, but they were honest with me and kept me in the loop.

This was a couple years ago, and maybe they had some personnel changes in their logistics department that need to be ironed out...I don't know, but this does seem to be a very recent complaint and not something that has a long track record.

Granted if it is new people..they do represent the company...but I don't think they are representing the company in a way that mirror's SC's reputation.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Hi!

Welcome to planet earth, and dealing with human beings!
    that gets rep
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Mtb Guide
    Everyone makes mistakes, its a given this time of year is a major pain in the butt for everyone.

I think the way SC have followed up is what counts, a simple apology imo counts, and if thats not enough then you should look closer to home jmo.

I ordered a frame that was in stock size color in Nov a week later the frame had gone and I was told I had to wait for the next shipment from the factory, the coy owner apologised and kept me updated, I stayed the course even under imense pressure from my LBS to ditch the brand, the fact the owners directly kept me informned built my trust and I was rewarded with my frame early Dec when they promised I would get it and Ive been loving it and will be sticking with that brand.

Id say give SC a break, if you order on Xmas time you take big chances, not making excuses for them but fairness is a too way streak.

mtbr member
    + 1 on santa cruz CS. I also believe that their VPLS disclaimer says that even if you order it, it might not be on hand. I understand why your mad and disappointed but really who cares if they did or didnt try to contact you. Maybe they were just trying to let you down easy so your panties didnt get into a bunch. not like they had to give us the awesome deals available in the VPSL. Every time I dealt with them, they have been top notch and responsive.

mtbr member
    They're a small company and its a busy holiday season dude. No point in getting all wound up over a communication problem.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    Hey guys,

is it the path? Ill be in OC towards the end of jan and will be renting from the path. Would be happy to hook you up. My experience with trying to order this way is that the person picking up the bike actually has to pay. Cant use someone elses credit card. However you might be able to convince them. Once the bike is purchased locally they will box up and send directly to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast