Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35

    Scott Spark 640 or Yeti sb66 Race Alloy

    I know this is kinda silly posting this on a manufacturer specific thread but I figured people could be somewhat unbiased for a moment and let me know their thoughts. But I was looking at getting one of the two bikes in the title. Mostly for XC and trail with the occasional DH (I'm not a highly skilled DH rider so the level of my DH would be considered beginner). The Scott spark 640's twin lock system is cool to me as I always wanted a bike that I can adjust suspension on the fly. It also has a sleek and sexy design that I like. In comes the Yeti sb66 which needs no introduction and is just simply a sick bike. The switch technology is truly amazing and innovative to me. the Yeti is also a bit more durable but a thousand more bucks than the spark if I decide to go with the sb66 race alloy.

    I've seen Scott has had problems with the chainstays with the Spark '12 shearing off. Not sure if the '13 have address this problem. Similarly, the main problem with the Yeti sb66 '12 is a swing arm bearing problem. Supposedly it's been fixed with the '13. If anyone has some comments, weigh in!

  2. #2
    Fence guru
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzlebizzle View Post
    I know this is kinda silly posting this on a manufacturer specific thread but I figured people could be somewhat unbiased for a moment and let me know their thoughts. But I was looking at getting one of the two bikes in the title. Mostly for XC and trail with the occasional DH (I'm not a highly skilled DH rider so the level of my DH would be considered beginner). The Scott spark 640's twin lock system is cool to me as I always wanted a bike that I can adjust suspension on the fly. It also has a sleek and sexy design that I like. In comes the Yeti sb66 which needs no introduction and is just simply a sick bike. The switch technology is truly amazing and innovative to me. the Yeti is also a bit more durable but a thousand more bucks than the spark if I decide to go with the sb66 race alloy.

    I've seen Scott has had problems with the chainstays with the Spark '12 shearing off. Not sure if the '13 have address this problem. Similarly, the main problem with the Yeti sb66 '12 is a swing arm bearing problem. Supposedly it's been fixed with the '13. If anyone has some comments, weigh in!
    1 both suck
    2 buy a santa cruz
    3 gtfo wrong forum

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35
    LOL!

    Can you tell me why they suck or are you just gonna throw down unsubstantiated judgement?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzlebizzle View Post
    LOL!

    Can you tell me why they suck or are you just gonna throw down unsubstantiated judgement?
    OP listed why they suck in the first post. Unless there's an SC in this "which bike" thread, this is the wrong forum.
    here we go again

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    OP listed why they suck in the first post. Unless there's an SC in this "which bike" thread, this is the wrong forum.
    So why does either the switch tech or twin lock system make the bikes suck? There's not very much value in saying a feature sucks about a bike. Statements like "it sucks" sorta have to be back up with a reason otherwise they are just mindless sentences.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    462
    The Scott is not a dh type ride. You would need the genius or the Ransom ( not sure if its still made. ). Plus the Scott shock is a pain to service.

    The SB -66 is a very long bike that is brand new so expect some warranty issues/ beating issues. Does cost more, yep, but much better than the Scott for what you want to do.

    Now here is what I would recommend : A nomad built as a trail bike.

    Btw, unbiased, as I own none of the bikes listed.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,713
    Intense Spider Comp 29 with Fox talas on the front.

    Set in low travel for you XC rides, set up longer travel for when you go DHing.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzlebizzle View Post
    I know this is kinda silly posting this on a manufacturer specific thread but...
    Yes, it is. Look, not to be rude or a forum etiquette nazi, but this thread is just in the wrong place. If you want opinions on different bike brands for a specific riding style, the riding style forums might be best (e.g. all mountain, xc, enduro, etc. or even just general discussion). If you don't think you can get unbiased opinions in a more generic forum on mtbr, then you probably shouldn't post the question to mtbr at all. It should be obvious that you're most likely not going to get the best possible (i.e. knowledgeable, unbiased, from many different perspectives, etc.) info about NON-Santa Cruz bikes on a specifically Santa Cruz forum.

    I see from your other posts that you're sort of shotgunning your question to several forums, but this is definitely not right place for it.

    Now, go buy the Blur TRa or a discontinued Nickel or Butcher frame, then come back to the SC forum and tell us how awesome it is, and how you wished you get back all that time you spent considering anything other than Santa Cruz.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzlebizzle View Post
    So why does either the switch tech or twin lock system make the bikes suck? There's not very much value in saying a feature sucks about a bike. Statements like "it sucks" sorta have to be back up with a reason otherwise they are just mindless sentences.
    I'll use your words to describe how they suck then, maybe you can understand it if you said it:

    Scott has problems with the chainstays
    Yeti has problems with the bearings
    here we go again

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35
    Instead of getting upset and calling everyone on this thread *****, I decided take an open minded approach and check out some Santa Cruz models. And I will say I have definitely placed a nomad on my list. The bike is actually really sick. Problem is the dealers in my area of central New York (not sure if every dealer is the US is like this) don't even stock 1 nomad, even for test rides. Couple dealers said they have some demos in the summer, but I'm certainly not waiting until the summer to purchase a new bike, I want it before the season starts. Can anyone provide suggestions on how to get my hands on a nomad to test ride?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzlebizzle View Post
    Instead of getting upset and calling everyone on this thread *****, I decided take an open minded approach and check out some Santa Cruz models. And I will say I have definitely placed a nomad on my list. The bike is actually really sick. Problem is the dealers in my area of central New York (not sure if every dealer is the US is like this) don't even stock 1 nomad, even for test rides. Couple dealers said they have some demos in the summer, but I'm certainly not waiting until the summer to purchase a new bike, I want it before the season starts. Can anyone provide suggestions on how to get my hands on a nomad to test ride?
    I'm not sure where in Central NY you are, so it may be a 3 hour+ drive; but they have one at Action Bikes in Milford, PA. I can't remember if it's a medium or large, but I'm thinking medium.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35

    New

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    I'm not sure where in Central NY you are, so it may be a 3 hour+ drive; but they have one at Action Bikes in Milford, PA. I can't remember if it's a medium or large, but I'm thinking medium.
    Dude just sold it a few days ago
    ****!

    Anyone else know of any northern pa dealers? The website isn't the best for looking for other dealers in my proximity. I'll echo this on a PA thread but maybe someone here knows.
    Last edited by shizzlebizzle; 02-16-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: ****ed up

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzlebizzle View Post
    Dude just sold it a few days ago
    ****!

    Anyone else know of any northern pa dealers? The website isn't the best for looking for other dealers in my proximity. I'll echo this on a PA thread but maybe someone here knows.
    Wow, they've had that forever. Pretty sure it was a 2011. Can't believe someone bought it between the last time I was there and today.

    Sorry, I can't think of any other shop that might have a Nomad in stock.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,207
    Here is a Yeti review.

    Yeti SB66 - Tested - Pinkbike

    If you do a search [Google might work best] there are several threads with direct comparisons between the main long travel trail/AM bikes. I recall the Yeti, Nomad, Knolly Chili and some of the Pivot bikes being discussed for sure. These are back to back comparisons on long rides between these bikes by folks who aren't trying to sell them. I found them useful since I can't test ride much where I live.

    I'd take the Yeti over the Scott anytime, but then I'm biased towards the smaller niche brands. I'd rather have a Nomad over either- the Ibis Mojo HD and Knolly Chili also seem like better bikes.

    BTW - once you are into the $5K bike range it starts to make sense to fly somewhere nice that has a high concentration of dealers so you can test ride the main players of interest. Sedona or Moab for example.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Here is a Yeti review.

    Yeti SB66 - Tested - Pinkbike

    If you do a search [Google might work best] there are several threads with direct comparisons between the main long travel trail/AM bikes. I recall the Yeti, Nomad, Knolly Chili and some of the Pivot bikes being discussed for sure. These are back to back comparisons on long rides between these bikes by folks who aren't trying to sell them. I found them useful since I can't test ride much where I live.

    I'd take the Yeti over the Scott anytime, but then I'm biased towards the smaller niche brands. I'd rather have a Nomad over either- the Ibis Mojo HD and Knolly Chili also seem like better bikes.

    BTW - once you are into the $5K bike range it starts to make sense to fly somewhere nice that has a high concentration of dealers so you can test ride the main players of interest. Sedona or Moab for example.
    cool thanks. My main players at this point are still the yeti sb66, the ibis mojo, and the nomad. My area really sucks for dealers like these. There's typically cannondale and specialized in abundance around here, which im not into. moving is not an option but the dealers are nice enough to "call their friends" to see if they have nomads and what not. So I'm psyched about that. I'm going to test ride an ibis mojo tomorrow. which is about 3 hours away. What really pisses me off from a business standpoint is that these dealers dont have a nomad in stock. not even 1 specifically for testing. the place im going tomorrow ONLY has mojos for testing, not to buy. Which kinda makes sense. You go in, say yo that bike looks sexy, you ride it, you want it, you pick exactly what you want. and then you end up with exactly what you want. why dont SC dealers at least have something like this? From the peeps I've spoken to, the nomad is in really low demand, which i cant understand, because its their best bike which i'm sure I'll get cursed at for that but hell I want an AM bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •