mtbr member
    May 2013

SC Tallboy LTc + Pike advice

I'm going to get a Tallboy LTc in the near future but I'm wondering which will be the most suitable version of the Pike fork to fit?

1. 51mm offset Solo Air 140mm travel
    2. 46mm offset Solo Air 150mm travel
    3. 51mm offset Solo Air 150mm travel

I'm interested in peoples views on this as i know the effects each would have but I don't know which will suit the bike best.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Anthony

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm100 View Post
    I'm going to get a Tallboy LTc in the near future but I'm wondering which will be the most suitable version of the Pike fork to fit?

1. 51mm offset Solo Air 140mm travel
    2. 46mm offset Solo Air 150mm travel
    3. 51mm offset Solo Air 150mm travel

I'm interested in peoples views on this as i know the effects each would have but I don't know which will suit the bike best.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Anthony
    I would say no3, But you haven't said were or how you like to ride & what is your ridding weakness , Etc

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks Muzzanic,

My biggest riding weakness is my broken collar bone! Otherwise, im a bigger guy so climbing is definately my downfall.

This is very much planning on being a very typical One-bike-for-everything. Im in the south west of the UK, mostly trail-centre riding.

I know 3. would be the most 'fun' as far as tallest and slackest but im worried that might be a bit of a downside when the trail points upwards.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm100 View Post
    Thanks Muzzanic,

My biggest riding weakness is my broken collar bone! Otherwise, im a bigger guy so climbing is definately my downfall.

This is very much planning on being a very typical One-bike-for-everything. Im in the south west of the UK, mostly trail-centre riding.

I know 3. would be the most 'fun' as far as tallest and slackest but im worried that might be a bit of a downside when the trail points upwards.
    There is always a trade off.

1st up remember that the 150mm Pike is approx. the same height as the 140mm Fox 34.

On my Rip9 RDO I went for the 140mm Pike.

My reasons were that including sag the 150 is only 7mm more travel, So that isn't going to save your bacon much on the real big hits.

Most of the time the 140mm will be heaps & on the climbs the 140mm will be better.

On a 1 bike to do it all you must set it up for the 90% of your riding & not just for 10%

mtbr member
    No 1 definitely. I don't think slowing down the steering is the right thing to do.

Keep on Rockin...
    You need to search this out in the LTc thread. The 140 or 150 Pike has been covered in great detail. I just posted about two days ago. I went 140 and am very glad. I'd don't think the pike is that much shorter a2c than the Fox. The Rev was, but not the Pike.

mtbr member
    I went 150/46...the slowest steering of the bunch. I muscle a XL Canfield Jedi on a regular basis so I'm used to a sluggish turning bike. For the LTc, I'm learning how to front manual my way around tight corners to speed up a slower turning bike. But, don't get me wrong, it's not that slow! If you're confident in leaning/angulate your ride into a turn, you can bring even the biggest DH bike around the tightest corners, let alone a trail bike.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I used to think 150/51 Pike with a 1 degree Works headset for aggressive BC/AB riding and would like to race more of the EWS and BM events and a new BC series. I calculated that set up to length the wheelbase by 0.6" and only raise the front end by a few millimetres.

Lately I've been leaning more towards a 140/51 Pike with the 1 degree. I'm guesstimating a wheelbase increase of ~0.2" with only a few millimetres of drop…and since all reports suggest the Pike sits higher in its travel anyway then that may be a wash??? I know a few local riders that have put the offset bushings on their LTcs to slacken the front and drop the BB a bit and really like it that way.

But then again after the whole season I still can't ****in' decide between the TBLT and Bronson…so don't listen to me Oh, and I keep asking this but NOBODY ever answers…anyone care to speculate how Cedric G sets his bike up? To me he looks like he's riding a smaller frame for starters (he's the same height as me and I think he's riding a L instead of XL). But I wonder what size fork he's using and if theres an angle set?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I went with the Solo Air, 150, 51 off-set, steers great IMO. The stock off-set on the Fox-140 is 51mm according to Santa Cruz. The Pike 150 kicks the front up a small amount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hey frank how does your TB climb with the 150/51offset? any problems with front end "float" on the steeps?

trying to decide btwn 150 and 140. thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The front end stays down within reason as the Pike is very active in the first inches of travel. By this I mean that the Pike extends easily and seems to stay planted. I have noticed that Pike has way more active in the early stroke and stays planted. I do seem to put more weight on the front for cornering though as the front feels higher than with the fox. The Pike seems to ride higher and stay mid-travel much more than the Fox. I don't notice the climbing being much diff. but the downs[ wow you can push the front hard with travel to spare. Very nice ride . I would say if cornering is your strong point then go 140 if not then 150.