Thread: SC Lizzard

I Void Waranties

SC Lizzard

Any one know of an reputable online store that ships world wide? Im looking for a good deal on a Chemeleon. full bike or frame only.

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    www.cambriabike.com

Wait til they have a sale or 10%off. Or you can try it with this coupon code if it is a hot deal item.

seaotter9 or seaotter09

mtbr member
    Ships world wide??? where are you living at?
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

I Void Waranties
    thanks for the info,

Im located in Singapore
    I was also considdering the the banshee scirrocco(discontinued) but someone mentioned this bike as well as the trek 69er.

What do you guys think? I know its the SC section so dont be biased

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you want to go single speed, I can understand why you're looking at the Chameleon. But if you're going to go geared, there's other options which don't require you to still use that stupid eccentric bottom bracket (EBB), which will be an unnecessary complication that could cause a lot of frustration. By frustration, I mean slipping, creaking, and sub-optimum front derailleur performance. Personally, I think the Chameleon is one of those cult bikes that's entirely overrated and would look into something like the Transition Trans AM - nicer riding (steel), no EBB (but can still be built single speed), and made in the USA.

Pic (not my bike)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CoastieTX; 04-23-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: addition of picture

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    If you want to go single speed, I can understand why you're looking at the Chameleon. But if you're going to go geared, there's other options which don't require you to still use that stupid eccentric bottom bracket (EBB), which will be an unnecessary complication that could cause a lot of frustration. By frustration, I mean slipping, creaking, and sub-optimum front derailleur performance. Personally, I think the Chameleon is one of those cult bikes that's entirely overrated and would look into something like the Transition Trans AM - nicer riding (steel), no EBB (but can still be built single speed), and made in the USA.
    That was the kind of reply i was looking for. The chameleon seems to be a bit overpriced for an HT frame that has been around for many moons. I will look into the cycle you mentioned...thanks

As for going geared or SS im not too sure yet as I came from a BMX backround and only ever had one gear... I supposse it would be nice to have the option to change between the two as time go's on. I just uploaded the my previous bike as my avatar ...the best bike ive ever owned in my signiture with a few upgrades but nothing too serious. I use to jump do street and trail all with the same setup, but people look funny at a guy in his mid 20's on a BMX

mtbr member

I dunno... I really like my new Chameleon!

BikeBling.com is new to Santa Cruz and did a great job for me.

I bought the Chameleon and have had nothing but praise for her. 4 months so far through plenty of wet creak beds and no EBB issues at all. I think it was a great purchase for an All Mountain/XC Country rig and it even came with a built in bottle opener!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster
    BikeBling.com is new to Santa Cruz and did a great job for me.

I bought the Chameleon and have had nothing but praise for her. 4 months so far through plenty of wet creak beds and no EBB issues at all. I think it was a great purchase for an All Mountain/XC Country rig and it even came with a built in bottle opener!!
    Thanks for the site and nice bike btw.

How does it do in the jumps and drops department?

I found that this site have fairly attractive prices on some things but they dont do free international shipping such as evan cycles in the UK. I might still use them in the future though

mtbr member

Response to "Jumps and Drops"

Personally, I am not much of a big risk kind of rider anymore... I have been down that path before and the results for my 200lb+ weight are typically catastrophic. I have trashed way to many expensive components, frames, wheels and forks over the years to justify the risk. Although, my competitive nature pushes me towards riding agressive at times with the Chameleon and I must say it has done an exceptional job. As you can see by the picture, it's mostly built as a XC/AM ride. If you are looking for a more jump/drop focused rig I may not be the right person to ask. Good luck!

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster
    Personally, I am not much of a big risk kind of rider anymore... I have been down that path before and the results for my 200lb+ weight are typically catastrophic. I have trashed way to many expensive components, frames, wheels and forks over the years to justify the risk. Although, my competitive nature pushes me towards riding agressive at times with the Chameleon and I must say it has done an exceptional job. As you can see by the picture, it's mostly built as a XC/AM ride. If you are looking for a more jump/drop focused rig I may not be the right person to ask. Good luck!
    Yeah thanks for your input. looks like ill be going with this bike after all, partly due the lack of funds but then again it looks to be a good HT. Might have to start with some mid level equipment and then later stick that on the wifes bike when it is time to upgrade.

now im looking for a wheelset that wont break the bank. Im looking for a white set that can take plenty of abuse and still not weigh a ton. Tubeless would be a good bonus.

my fun has a hurting
    im about 215 geared up and i run my chameleon as a singlespeed am/lite fr bike. saint cranks, dh bars, short stem, code 5 brakes and a lyrik 2step air fork. the setup is a little heavy (about 32 lbs w/dt swiss 6.1s on hope hubs and dual ply tires. about 28 pounds with fsa 300xc wheels and single ply) but its pretty much bullet proof. i use if for urban riding and lite freeride stuff (4'-5' drops to flat and 6-7' drops to transitions are as bad as i get on it) and im not the smoothest rider in the world.

I Void Waranties
    Looks like ill be getting this one.

Now I have a problem...I like all the colours except the Red.Sadly no annodised option on the Chemeleons.
    Im leaning towards the yellow and blue but then the green looks so much nicer in person then on the pics and the white has that classy but understated look to it..(hard to keep clean?)...thats the problem with so many good choices.

Which colours do you guys like on these?

**edit Forgot to add I had a go on one of these on a large feels nice and fairly high of the ground, somehow the the cockpit felt smaller then on their FS bikes. but they did have longer stems. The new frame seems a lot nicer then the previous one not to mention tuffer as well.

local trails rider
    Hey, it is your bike, you are planning

The black, white and blue are so close to the colors of my current bikes, so I'd probably go for the yellow. Make up your mind and live with that choice

Any plans for fork and wheels yet?
    I am very happy with my custom wheels from Chainreaction in Northern Ireland. Don't know if they have any shipping deals to your part of the world.

The Large is quite likely your size but, if you have the possibility, try a Medium too just in case you like a smaller frame after all that BMX riding.

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Hey, it is your bike, you are planning

The black, white and blue are so close to the colors of my current bikes, so I'd probably go for the yellow. Make up your mind and live with that choice

Any plans for fork and wheels yet?
    I am very happy with my custom wheels from Chainreaction in Northern Ireland. Don't know if they have any shipping deals to your part of the world.

The Large is quite likely your size but, if you have the possibility, try a Medium too just in case you like a smaller frame after all that BMX riding.
    heheh ya its for me im broke as an church rat, but thanks to a few guys here and you I have came to learn about a few good online retailers that ship good gear to whereever you are. For now however ill go with some from that guy you reffered me to the last time that lives here in SG.

So far have some of the parts are truly used but all appear to be in good working condidtion and some of it like the wheels set is un used. Anyways ill use what I can till it falls off and hopefully by then I can upgrade whatever needs upgrading and put the rest on my wife's bike.(future build).
    wheelset; i think mavic 321 with hope2 hubs in the front and onyx in the back.
    some M4 brakes
    EA 70 handle bars
    Rockshock revelation(air)
    sunline stem(I think)
    XT components
    a few other things that I cant recall.
    might need new cranks..was thinking SLX double chainring and i would need some pedals and cables and a new front derailer(or whatever its called)

im liking the yellow too
    so far its
    1x for white
    1x yellow
    id probably go with the yellow at the end as well but its still fun to see what people think

local trails rider
    Sounds like a pretty decent parts list for a trail bike.

I Void Waranties
    awesome, just another few options that i came to know of...

What do you guys think of these?
    1 sinister
    2 jamis

Bum Buzzer
    Chameleon deserves its rep. My 2003 is still king.

Use em for anything - race XC, huge jumps, chuckin FR cliff huckage.

EBB is flawless, creative hate at work there.

EDIT: 246lbs currently.

I Void Waranties
    thats good to hear cos im big too and like to eat burgers such as the one in your avator.

you mention huge jumps? care to elaborate?

Bum Buzzer
    Ill have to browse around for some pics, as my abuse is smaller jumps etc -- if you ride in the east and know plattekill, my Cham has been down some of the less burly trails but off most of the drops.

Point is, unless you're a friggin beast or a crash hard constantly type of guy, its pretty difficult to hurt a chameleon. And they're not ludicrously heavy while they do it.

local trails rider
    Sinister:
    small company, made in North America, great frames, the hardtails are a bit expensive compared with companies that can do big production runs. Availabilty may be an issue.

Jamis:
    I get a cheap feeling about their stuff but apparently it works anyway. Some of their FS frames had some issues a year or two ago: bearings did not last.

mtbr member
    I was going to ride my Heckler this week end but I might have to to take the Chameleon out instead

2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.