mtbr member

Smile SC customer service does it again!!

Just needed to post up yet another excellent customer service experience for me with Santa Cruz and, in particular, Willie @ the warranty dept. I had an issue with a crack in a TRc frame. This was actually in a strange place - around a bolt on the drive side lower axle. I was not even sure if it was a major issue, as it was barely noticeable but sent Willie a photo, got the RA#, sent the frame in on Friday last week, and received a new 2013 TRc frame yesterday. That's a one week turnaround! As a bonus, I inquired with Willie about buying a downtube protector for the new frame and getting it put in with the frame so I could avoid paying shipping for the downtime protector. He sent the downtube protector without charging me for it. All in all I think this experience speaks volumes about the company.

I'll post some pics of the new frame when I get a chance.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Just needed to post up yet another excellent customer service experience for me with Santa Cruz and, in particular, Willie @ the warranty dept. I had an issue with a crack in a TRc frame. This was actually in a strange place - around a bolt on the drive side lower axle. I was not even sure if it was a major issue, as it was barely noticeable but sent Willie a photo, got the RA#, sent the frame in on Friday last week, and received a new 2013 TRc frame yesterday. That's a one week turnaround! As a bonus, I inquired with Willie about buying a downtube protector for the new frame and getting it put in with the frame so I could avoid paying shipping for the downtime protector. He sent the downtube protector without charging me for it. All in all I think this experience speaks volumes about the company.

That is excellent CS, very impressive. There are a few companies around that could learn a valuable lesson from them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sc got mine on Dec 21. I'm still waiting for my replacement. What color did you get? Maybe I should email Willi.

mtbr member
    About to order a highball From m local shop. It's been a while since I've had a Santa Cruz but have had a heckler and a chameleon in the past. Always liked their bikes and psyched to be getting one again.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I agree. SC customer service is great. I am waiting for my 2013 Blur XC to come in for a similar reason. Pretty cool to go from a 2010 frame to a 2013. Now to find a 142x12 wheel set. My carbon Reynolds are not convertible. Poor me....

mtbr member
    As a bonus, I inquired with Willie about buying a downtube protector for the new frame and getting it put in with the frame so I could avoid paying shipping for the downtime protector.
    Do they make a downtube protector with holes punched for the waterbottle bolts? I used the one they sent, but I had to punch holes in it... which was no easy matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It is always smart to ask about what colors are in stock. When I bought my blur, I could have had the frame in a few days if I wanted red. I wanted black and had to wait a month. But I knew the wait was my fault, not theirs.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    I agree. SC customer service is great. I am waiting for my 2013 Blur XC to come in for a similar reason. Pretty cool to go from a 2010 frame to a 2013. Now to find a 142x12 wheel set. My carbon Reynolds are not convertible. Poor me....
    Why not have the rear wheel relaced onto a new hub? It'll be cheaper and you keep your Reynolds bling?
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    can't imagine it would be hung up because it's white. I thought black was the hot color?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Sc got mine on Dec 21. I'm still waiting for my replacement. What color did you get? Maybe I should email Willi.
    I got the matte black, but was offered that or white.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    Do they make a downtube protector with holes punched for the waterbottle bolts? I used the one they sent, but I had to punch holes in it... which was no easy matter.
    Not as far as I know. I cut holes in mine by putting it on a block of wood, and then going thru it with a scalpel which made short work of it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Why not have the rear wheel relaced onto a new hub? It'll be cheaper and you keep your Reynolds bling?
    That is one of my thoughts. However, I can get some Crest's at a great price, the Reynolds would be a great upgrade for the GF's nickel, and i think I would like to try the 650b thing. The front hub is not convertible either so any future forks would probably require another relace. Like I said, poor me...

mtbr member

Oh man... I guess the warrantee stuff goes through a different shipping department through new bikes. I have one there hanging out until their warehouse is ready sometime after the 22nd. So hard to wait!
    Last edited by dirtdan; 01-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.

GMM
    mtbr member
    ... I had an issue with a crack in a TRc frame... and received a new 2013 TRc frame yesterday... All in all I think this experience speaks volumes about the company...e.
    Good to know. Also makes me think I should stop looking at used carbon SC's and buy new when I can.