Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    SPAM: Can you ride a large 6-Pack, if so, I've got one for sale. The powder coated Nomad frame took less than two weeks, you must have ordered custom colors? There's a large black frame Nomad and a medium Ano Black Nomad at Bicycle Centers of Everett. bummer, sorry you're having a hard time.
    turtle
    Last edited by Turtle 1; 03-03-2006 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Hey get smart

It would be as easy as finding what you want in stock at a store and buying on the spot. That is what I do and I never had to wait a day on my Superlight, Heckler or future Nomad.

Ultimate Poseur
    The guy's got a valid complaint. I'm sure he's not the only one that is tired of SC living in what is called "SC time." If a company says "we'll get this to you in 3 weeks" they better get it to you in 3 weeks or less. Underpromise and overdeliver NOT overpromise and underdeliver.

I wouldn't think it would take much for SC to get an accurate inventory forecasting tool of some kind. Maybe they have something and choose not to use it?

I tried to get my LBS to pick up SC...went so far as getting the # for the regional rep so the shop could get in touch with them. No dice. The impression my LBS got from them was that they had enough business and they didn't need theirs.

One of the threads, posted by the O.P., states that dealing with SC's warranty issues was terrible. The 2 times that I've had problems they were taken care right away with no issues whatsoever.

All Mt, DH
    I'd have to agree with most that SC wait times are inconsistent.... and too long.
    Its not only that... its all the BSh#t we are feed when asking.
    Currently have 4 SC bikes and while the grief of waiting can be high, I'v"e actually learnt to have at least or 2 bikes I can ride, rather than just waiting for that call "Your frame is in " from the LBS

Overall SC seem very good with warranty issues and even respond to tech questions I've asked both in a professional and timely manner.

For now I'm sticking with them, but I'm lucky enough to have several rides, so not just waiting for my dream bike... I really feel for u guys
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This has happened to me with 2 other high end frame companies also (NOT Santa Cruz).
    I guess these things happen in small companies, when they just cant satisfy the demand for their products. Since then, I buy only from stock. Never backorder anything. Picked up my Nomad the exact same way - found a LBS that stocked one my size & the color I wanted, and picked it up.
    At the end of the day, the only things that matter are the ride, and it's customer service if and when something happens to it. Lead times is not a parameter I would base my buying descision on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would not be surprised if a certain proportion of the target date problems actually comes from the retailers and not SantaCruz. When I ordered my Nomad, I said to my dealer I wanted a front red with black rear. He immediately told me, no promise on the target date but "should" be around 6 weeks. Well it actually took 6 weeks. I'm not saying SantaCruz doesn't have its problems but I'm certainly convinced some retailers give a date to a perspective buyer just to make the sale and after that they keep the bs coming hoping the customer is not gonna give up. Bottom line, it the customer gives up, he will be blaming SC anyway. So I'm quite sure the positive SC comments we read here are coming from people who deal with good retailers and negative comments may actually come from people who deal with not so good retailers.

Just my theory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No good Boo Focking Hoo!

Let me get this straight here. You had already experienced a long wait for your Bullit a while back. A few years go by and you decide on another SC bike. You hear wait times have gotten better. Where did you hear this? Santa Cruz has always had a reputation for long wait times, yet you still go ahead and order a SC. Still with me?

From what I have read, you were even warned from a few people that wait times ARE STILL LONG. Yet, you still ordered a SC bike.

You knew these things going in, but you go and advertise all over the internet that you are done with SC for life after finding out, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, that you are going to have to wait for a few weeks to get a frame.

What a Shocker. Unbelievable. Damn you to hell Santa Cruz.

Anyways, have fun on your next bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    if you order from SC you get exactly what you want,

everyone knows if you order and its not in stock you are in for a wait

get over it

after all long term you will have no regrets

Too Much Fun

No good That sucks, but you gotta plan on the SC wait...

This is news?! Its a well known fact that SC takes forever to deliver. Does it suck? Of course. Is part of it legend? Yes. There are stories of impossible wait times and stories of none at all.

Instead of making a hail mary and ordering it in the hope they meet their delivery (50-50 at best,) the wise thing to do is take the time to scour the land for the frame you want and buy it on the spot. They are out there, you just need to find them.

The other part of the lesson is PLAN on waiting. Don't sell your old rig and THEN order (not sure if thats what happened here, but just saying). Instead plan for some wait and build time. It makes the whole process more satisfying.

Anyways, have fun with whatever you ride.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I agree with you guys about they're ability to ship on time as that is what happened to me last year with my replacement Bullit. But, the bikes are good and by dealing with my local bike shop, I was looked after in the long run. If you deal with a good shop they'll want to look after you and keep you happy. I may get flamed for this, but I don't understand why you would go directly to the manufacturer when your local shop can and will do a better job looking after you and giving SC crap on your behalf with some clout when things don't go right.
    "Hold it wide and let it slide" - Sam Hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

wtf?

I ordered a Nomad over a month ago. I told my LBS to get a frame colour that was in stock so that the wait wouldn't be over the top. I wanted ano black but settled on ano slate instead. Now...having said all this, I knew long ago all about the history of SC delivery problems. Even though I've never had one before, it's all over the net - unbelievably unreliable delivery time estimates, but really solid bikes. My LBS told me 2 to 3 weeks. It's now delayed, while SC waits for wheels. Do I care? Of course not. I laughed out loud when they told me 2 to 3 weeks. I ordered it in the winter, just to make sure it's here for April or May. I would have never ordered it at the start of riding season. If I wanted one then, I would have bought one built from one of about 4 LBS's in my area that carry SC's, or at least a frame so that I could build it.

In my view, you'd have to be deaf and dumb to not realize that the delivery time estimate is likely not going to materialize. At minimum, you'd have to be hugely naiive to think that your bike's going to arrive on time.

So, if you want an SC, deal with the wait issue going in. It doesn't matter what anyone says, it's likely going to take a while. Any promise of a certain delivery date has to be discounted almost completely.

I would have thought I was stating the obvious. Apparently not.

I have absolutely no idea why the original poster is blaming SC for this.

FishZapper
    If you retards could read, you'd know that his complaint isnt about the wait time, but that he was lied to.

Got A Lust for Life...

Wink Lied to about what???

Quote Originally Posted by NoTreadOnMe
    If you retards could read, you'd know that his complaint isnt about the wait time, but that he was lied to.
    Oh yeah...wait time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey retard! I can read and I wouldn't really call it being lied to. Shite happens. Sometimes companies run out of stock and you have to wait longer to get what you want. ESPECIALLY WITH SANTA CRUZ. Skookum knew this going in, as he dealt with Santa Cruz before and had to wait a long time for his first frame. Notice a pattern here?

The bottom line is, this guy had bought a SC bike before and was pissed because he had to wait a long time to get it. What does he do? Oh yeah, he orders another one and then complains about a long wait time. Even after being warned that it would probably take a while. Pathetic.

I was looking at a Nomad and it is a given that it takes a while to get one once it is ordered.

Then he posts this garbage on a SC forum and expects not to get back lash???? Think about it. The guy is posting this crap every where else also.
    Last edited by ronny; 03-05-2006 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm thinking that only a "retard" would place any reliance on any representation by anyone - LBS or SC - as to delivery time. As an aside - f#ck you.

edit - and by the way, I would highly doubt that SC or any LBS would ever give some guaranteed delivery date or anything close to that in terms of certainty. I would expect (as was the case with me and every single person I know) that the delivery time estimate was intended to be exactly that - an estimate ("it should be here in 3 weeks", "SC says they have the frame size and colour in stock so unless things go sideways, I'm thinking 3 to 4 weeks"...). To say that this guy was lied to is almost certainly a stretch. So again I wonder, who in their right mind, knowing full well SC's history for missing delivery estimates, would rely on this, especially when it's an estimate? Who's the f'ing retard here?
    Last edited by mmmm...kona; 03-05-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Warrior's Society
    I work at a SC dealer and can honestly say that we are at the mercy of SC. When we quote you a delivery date/timeline......that is the delivery date/timeline that SC tells us. Your LBS has nothing to do with the delivery timelines. It kept getting pushed back because everytime your LBS called SC they were told a later date.

IF you wanted one sooner, you should have done your homework and found another shop that has one in stock, or maybe sacrifice your #1 color option for #2 or #3. PIcking your color based on what SC has in stock is your best bet to get a frame in a short period of time. But I am sure you know this, because it has been stated on this message board numerous times.

OH, yeah......just wanted to say thanks for canceling your order. Just means someone else just moved up one sopt to get theirs.

mtnbikej

Too Much Fun

Stop the drama...

Well, judging from his original post I was not clear if it was SC who told him the shipping info or the LBS. Was he "lied" to? Hard to say. A f#ckup isn't the same as someone lying.
    - -benja- -

Lord of the Chainrings

Not me!

Wow, a lot griping here for sure. Sorry you've been lied to.

Fact to the matter is...

A. Small American company.
    B. High demand.
    C. Quality products.

= Long wait times.
    Thank you, Captain Obvious!

I'm on my 6th Santa Cruz bike now, and I've always had to wait.
    But the wait was definately worth it when I hit the trails/road.

Timing is everything.
    Order from SC stock or wait for the production run....or simply scour the web and buy one in stock from the many suppliers in the US or Canada.

BTW: The "Ano Slate" is an awesome color!
    Last edited by Mudd; 03-05-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

FishZapper
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Hey retard! I can read and I wouldn't really call it being lied to. Shite happens. Sometimes companies run out of stock and you have to wait longer to get what you want. ESPECIALLY WITH SANTA CRUZ. Skookum knew this going in, as he dealt with Santa Cruz before and had to wait a long time for his first frame. Notice a pattern here?

The bottom line is, this guy had bought a SC bike before and was pissed because he had to wait a long time to get it. What does he do? Oh yeah, he orders another one and then complains about a long wait time. Even after being warned that it would probably take a while. Pathetic.

I was looking at a Nomad and it is a given that it takes a while to get one once it is ordered.

Then he posts this garbage on a SC forum and expects not to get back lash???? Think about it. The guy is posting this crap every where else also.
    Why am I not surprised you still missed the point? You might think about taking a basic reading comprehension class sometime.

FishZapper
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...kona
    I'm thinking that only a "retard" would place any reliance on any representation by anyone - LBS or SC - as to delivery time. As an aside - f#ck you.
    Look here everyone. This is what people do when they arent smart. They get called out for their stupidity, and posts like this are the norm. Good job proving my point, retard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Look here everyone. I just want to say that I have been off my meds for a bit. Sorry about that. I guess I better get back on them, and quick.
    Fixed it for ya.

Okay - baby steps. To recap pretty much everything everyone has said here 10 times now:

1. It is somewhat bold to suggest that anyone, SC or LBS, would give anyone any guarantees on delivery - I would suspect that anything said is, at best, an estimate. Why in God's name would SC give a guaranteed delivery date? it's not as though they need to make false promises to entice more buyers - I don't think lack of volume is a problem for them.

2. If you rely on anything anyone says about the delivery time for a bike ordered from SC, even if it is an unqualified 100% guarantee (as opposed to an estimate), you're being pretty naiive about things and turning a blind eye to the obvious and very well documented history of delivery time issues for SC. It's not as though you would have statistics on your side. I guess maybe you might feel lucky, but in that case, you might be better off just buying a lottery ticket. I just can't see how anyone could feel that they could legitimately rely on any kind of reperesentation by anyone as to delivery time.

3. Knowing all of this in advance, if you need a bike soon, get an SC from your LBS or buy a different bike. If the delivery time thing is such a big issue, don't even waste your time at the front end - buy something else.

4. You lose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Why am I not surprised you still missed the point? You might think about taking a basic reading comprehension class sometime.
    Okay. Here is the post. I suggest you read it.

"Everyone tried to tell me, (even people on this board) but i just wouldn't listen".

"Anyways i call to get an update on the Blur XC that was supposed to ship this week, and i get told they ran out of everything. It'll come in 3 weeks.....

Cancel order.

This happened on my Bullit years ago, this is the last straw. i'm done with Santa Klaus, never again in my life will i buy from them. i was in the market to get not only the Blur but a Nomad as well. i was lied to before on the Bullit years ago, i had heard they had gotten better, they have not.

Buyer beware if it's this hard to buy anything from them, i can't imagine what a nightmare dealing with any warranty issues."

The guy said the order was going to be shipped and it got delayed. Very common with Santa Cruz. This happens all the time in many different industries aside from the mountain bike business. Does this constitute being lied to??? Not in my book. It is called a DELAY. Maybe a mistake was made. IT IS NOT DISHONESTY. Get this through your mullet. It would be dishonest if SC told him they were going to ship the bike, then take his money and never ship it at all. Get it straight.

If you notice in the message it clearly states that the same thing happened before regarding his Bullit.

Right at the beginning of the post it states "EVERYONE TRIED TO TELL ME, (even people on this board) but I just wouldn't listen. Sounds like he knew what he was getting into.

I pointed it all out for you. Are we all still "retards"?

Knomer
    Choosing a frame based on a customer service operator's honesty policy, instead of geometry, weight, and overall ride quality could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Good luck to you!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

FishZapper
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny

I pointed it all out for you. Are we all still "retards"?
    Good job reading ONE of the TWO posts.

i was told the Blur was shipping this week. Another call goes in and it appears as if now the story is they are out of everything, it'll be 3 more weeks. i had heard things had gotten better there, they have not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast